Cleveland Name?

Discussion in 'Cleveland' started by jrdebi00, Dec 5, 2006.

1. jrdebi00

jrdebi00 New Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Should Cleveland have a nickname attached (like "Columbus Crew") or should it have a more traditional name (like "Cleveland SC" or "Cleveland FC") and allow the supporters to come up with their own name over time?

I vote for a more traditional name for the club, and any nickname should evolve over time from the supporters.

2. DCRebel

DCRebel New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Virginia Beach
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you.

Keep it traditional.

3. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    city nickname is always the best, we dont live in europe so lets keep it american. i belive even a bad american name is better than any euro name, fc, real etc are so boring. i think they should have a big vote about it all around cleveland to see what nickname they want. cant make it anymore fair than that

4. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would much rather see Cleveland FC formed and allow the fans develop their nickname for the club based on whatever stands out to them over time. An example would be, (it might not be the best example but it gets the point across) say Cleveland FC wins a few championships in it's first few seasons. As a result, the fans starting calling them "The Champions", thus Cleveland FC is nicknamed The Champions. Something along those lines is what I want to see rather than giving a team a nickname just because "it's American". I also find that the older clubs have better nicknames tha newer teams. I'm not sure why this is, but names like Red Sox, Yankees, Pirates, Phillies, Dodgers, Steelers, Packers, etc. are much easier for me to digest than Los Angeles Galaxy, Seattle Seahawks, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Arizona Diamondbacks, Nashville Predators, Atlanta Thrashers, etc..

5. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    we already have dallas fc and toronto fc anyway, we dont need another

6. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Cleveland 96? It was founded in 1796.

It definitely should be a traditional soccer name.

7. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give Cleveland a nickname just because three other clubs don't? Wow, that would be 4 teams out of 13+ without a nickname! Forget the tradition of the game, we're killing the "American way"!

8. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    what iam saying is we should atleast get creative like if were going to have euro names atleast only have one fc,one united, one real etc.

9. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do we have to have nicknames? Is it mandatory that all sports franchises have nicknames?

10. Fire Lovin' Hoosier

Fire Lovin' Hoosier New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Indy
    i think a great name could be the Cleveland Rangers, American naming system but with a connection the the Rangers in Europe...and the fact that the stadium is right next to a monstrous national park

11. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    Why, is someone proposing a second FC Dallas or a second Toronto FC?

12. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    Yes, yes it is. If we don't have nicknames as part of the official name we're "killing the American way" and George Bush will have to come and lock us up and send up to Gitmo.

13. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Well, if Chicago is the Fire then Cleveland should be the Rust.

14. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just make sure no ethnic groups get offended in the process.
    :rolleyes:

15. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    If you are following soccer tradition, the year should be the year the club was founded, not the year the city was founded.

Of course I'm not saying you have to follow that tradition, just pointing out that fact so you are aware of it.

16. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this elsewhere but it fit in this thread... i'm a proponent of simply Cleveland Soccer Club (Cleveland S.C.) or Cleveland Athletic Club (Cleveland A.C.)... perhaps one nickname out of all those being bandied about might stick after the fact...

If we have to go to a nickname, how 'bout this: The Cleveland Summit... seemed kinda catchy... or The Cleveland Summit Soccer Club...

In all likelihood, the naming rights to the stadium will be sold (Cabela's Stadium, Ikea Stadium, Cleveland Clinic Arena, First Merit Field, etc.)... therefore the team nickname would be one way to bring in the county name... perhaps the stadium name might include the county name: Cabela's Field at the Summit or Ikea Stadium at the Summit... if not, maybe working Summit into the team name might work...

17. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea of the Cleveland Summit, cause it throws Summit county a bone. If I were them I would kinda pissed about a team being named after a city that was father away than them, but we can't very well have the Akron Rubbers now can we? Although it would be funny when they played in Colorado...

18. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's your city/team affiliation so I know how to digest this thread?
    We need to see if your vote means anything.

19. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well from the looks of the drawing, I think the stadium would be called the Summit; I wouldn't want the team called that. "We're going to watch the Summit?" Not liking it at all. A very nice name for the stadium (of course there will be a corporate sponsor attached), but it will also be a nice nod to Summit County.

20. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I'd rather have something that the FO can market to a city known for its blue-coller working class, the people who watch football, baseball, and basketball. Cleveland is more of a midwest "American City" than an "International City," despite its large ethnic populations. And no offense, but I laughed out loud at the Champions name. Especially considering our sports history.

Because you grew up with the older ones. Stokers, Admirals, Rangers can use an angle to fit along with the Steelers, Packers, Dodgers if you really want to. Why do Pirates and Phillies sound good to you?

All of those new ones actually relate to their respective cities and their characteristics/history/native wildlife/etc. They are just newer in your head; therefore you are not used to them.

4 if you include Salt Lake and DC.
    BTW, the "tradition of the game" also includes "American style" names all over the globe. Stuff that that junk is just unneeded.

21. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cleveland Steamers

22. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How original and in the wrong thread.

:Applause:

23. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    still waiting for an "elevens" in MLS...

24. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather the fans give the club at nickname than anything else. As for the champons name, it was just an example. Don't make too much of it.

I didn't grow up with the older ones, I'm only 17. I just think older names sound classier than todays. It has nothing to do with being used to them, it just has to do with how they sound. There are some new ones that I like, but for the most part I feel that in the attempt to create a nickanme that identifies the city they sacrifice how classy it sounds. Los Angeles Galaxy sounds like a little kids teams, and they could've done better.

Lol, the game has no American tradition. What great traditions has America given to the game? None, except traditionally bad soccer. Respect the tradition the world has created for over 100 years.

25. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Why?
    2. Why not before the team starts playing?

BTW, not making too much out of it. I just thought it was ironic with our sports history. Unintentional comedy if you will. :D

They're classier because you've grown up with them; they've been around for a long time; they have a following; they are American staples now.
    Maybe this just means they should pick better team development people. There are plenty of good options in St Louis and Cleveland to name a team, given their histories.
    Still, aot of the classiness comes with age.

Real Salt Lake sounds like a joke, for a city in Utah with absolutely no connections to the name. How is that classy?

I like that the Dodgers have a history, and I do prefer American style names, but how is it relevant to LA?
    You still didn't really give an answer for Pirates and Phillies, while Thrashers (state bird; fowl theme for sports teams), Diamondbacks (common snake to their area), etc have connections.

Re-read what I said first of all.

Second, please post this in the SJ forum.

Third, soccer has tradition in the US. America may not have much tradition exported abroad, but to say there are no traditions (dormant or active) is blatantly stupid.

Fourth, what traditions "the world has created for over 100 years" have been in question? Are we looking to play on a 50-yard field or something? Please be specific.

I could go on alot about that last post, but I'll let you explain yourself first.