Cleveland 2009 post season discussion thread

Discussion in 'Cleveland' started by CCSUltra, Sep 27, 2009.

1. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: We're Staying in Cleveland

So USL pushes CCS, a pretty successful USL-2 franchise, to jump up a division when they aren't ready - then terminates their franchise a year later? Insane. And a really, really raw deal for Cleveland fans. My condolences, everybody.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The current City Stars owners wanted out of pro soccer. And the group they were selling to were dragging their feet.

I guess its possible and I hope for Cleveland fans it does happen. Just not likely.

3. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, it's complete bullshit. The league is in NO position to be terminating franchises, especially if the rumor is true that the deal was close to being done.

USL HQ ruined this team. I only hope some new investors are able to get a new team, hopefully in this new league.

1 person likes this.
  4. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We'd need a new ownership group as the current owners don't have the money to operate.

And I hope a new group does not become the Stokers. That name needs to be retired. We're not Stoke City anymore. Cleveland City is a good name and I hope someone can step forward and revitalize this team in a new league.

5. clevelandstoker

Aug 12, 2004
    Youngstown, OH
    Club:
    Stoke City FC

Austin has the Stoke City thing now. Maybe we can trade?

:D

6. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA

Well, since they bought all the other NASL names, well, you know. ;)

Better Stokers than the Cleveland Jaws (an old NASL name I hope they didn't buy the rights to). :D

7. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!

Allow me to add to the chorus. Cleveland was hosed by USL, plain and simple. My condolences and apologies to all devoted to your organization.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So the new investor would have to taken on the debts of Cleveland which are rumored to be $450,000?

Wouldnt USL suspending the franchise allow the potential new owners to get a fresh USL2 franchise without those debts? Wasn't that their intention of moving Cleveland down anyhow? I think the franchise fee for a USLD2 is only $250k (if that) Considering they were talking I could see this as a move by USL to accomidate the new investor

I can't imagine why USL wouldn't want facilitate the sell and im sure this exact senerio crossed the new investors minds.

9. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa

You would think with everything the USL is going through right now they would want to try and keep the Stars around or afloat.

Sounds to me that the USL is cutting ties with everything and looking to declare bankruptcy.

Shame really, I was looking forward to seeing you play my Hounds again.

10. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Taking on $450K worth of debt would be insane -- it's not like the City Stars brand is that established. Plus from the league's perspective they'd prefer another $250K franchise fee. So, maybe there's a back room deal going on. Although I'm doubtful of that scenario at this point.

11. savetheforce

savetheforce New Member

May 29, 2005

USL and Nike put the league into this mess. Members of the TOA were smart to go on there own.

Seattle Sounders will tell you what a joke the USL front office is.

12. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think that it would more be a case of the group that tried to buy the City Stars buying an NASL franchise (or maybe even a USL franchise - I wouldn't be shocked if this is a cash play by the USL to force the buyers to buy an expansion franchise).

If Western Mass and Bermuda drop or fold, I can see the entire third division going bust (only 6 teams - 2 of them being Real Maryland and the Rivermutts).

If this group (the potential CCS buyers) don't start a team, I think you can write off minor-league soccer in Cleveland (MLS could probably work here if someone was crazy enough to buy a franchise, Clevelanders will watch anything if its "major league" - i.e. the original Force) for 100 years.

13. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That would only make sense if the USL were run by clever, shrewd businessmen. My only business credentials are an economics minor and coming up 2 accounting courses short of a business minor (long story), but I could probably run the USL better than it is currently.

See my above post, methinks USL is all but done as a pro league.

btw, I'd love to have the Crew's NASL affiliate here.

14. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

one of the aricles I read said the City stars were in debt to the tune of $450,000.

With the termination of the Franchise, the potential new owner wont take on that debt. they could buy a new USLD2 franchise for considerably less. and if they were consider dropping back to USLD2 as mentioned. wouldnt that make business sense?

some backroom talks going on?

15. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If I may engage in a bit of mild hyperbole, I can see only two possibilities here:

1) A new Cleveland pro soccer club will shortly be established to join USL-2
    -- or --
    2) USL is getting out of the pro soccer business altogether.

I mean, think about it. Cleveland is one of only three remaining clubs in USL-1. USL-2 is now showing signs of severe distress. A league doesn't eject teams in a situation like this --they do everything they can to keep the club alive so the league can remain in business.

So either, as others have speculated, USL terminated the franchise because they have a deal to sell a new franchise to the buyers, or USL has given up on professional soccer and will just run the PDL and Y-League going forward. In which case I would like to direct at NuRock a hearty Nelson-esque "HA ha! You bought nuthin'!"

Like I said, this is mild hyperbole. There are probably other explanations. Unfortunately, the only one I can think of is that the people running USL are complete retards who haven't realized yet how badly it's going for them.

If there is a new team, I hope they can arrange to purchase the CCS name and logo from the old team. I love the name and the badge. (And the Nairobi City Stars need a sister club.)

------RM

16. Davcre

Davcre New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

half of me would like to laugh @ the Shitty Stars...the other half is outraged by the USL for ruining a potential rivalry and 3-4 exciting games in 2010

I too hope that you get some new owners and keep the name and logo - wouldn't be the same any other way.

17. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's still a chance we will have a team in Cleveland this season. From Cleveland.com

I'm not confident, but all hope is not lost.

18. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They could always join the NPSL :)

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess there is a chance that USL is negotiating directly with the group that the City Stars were trying to sell to... just an idea.

20. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That could be true. If it is, it's kinda shady on the league's part; that could have undermined the deal and been the reason the prospective owners stalled.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Normally, I wouldn't think USL would do that (screw their own clubs... hmmm...). But with them losing so many already, they might have seen it as a ends justify the means type scenario.

Again, just speculation. I kinda wish USL would do something like that, it would keep pro soccer in Cleveland.

22. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

where's Drew Carey at when you need him?
    i wonder if anyone has approached him about saving the Shitty Stars?
    his minority stake in the Sounders is probably worth more than the whole Cleveland franchise anyway...

23. Wolfff

Wolfff New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Probably 10x+ more.... It would of been so awesome if all the research he did in Cleveland came back saying we would've been a great place for an MLS squad.

24. budfrog532

budfrog532 New Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.

Wasn't for lack of trying. There were a number of conversations that took place between City and Drew Carey 2 years ago during their championship run.

Let's just put it this way: the whole "I'm just a regular guy from Cleveland" thing only exists as an act, it does not factor in to anything he does from a business point of view.

Not saying that's wrong, it's just that it is clear that Cleveland has no special place in his heart when it comes to business...so he isn't about to ride in and save the day.

The rumor (and this is clearly one of those Internet rumors, I really don't have a strong source on this, just passing along scuttlebutt) that I heard yesterday is that there is a 2nd ownership group involved. The league apparently thinks that this other group offers more stable ownership, and so they basically pushed the current City deal over the edge.

That's probably not the full truth, but there is an absolute vacuum of news, so the rumors persist.

25. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At this point, I don't care, just as long as we have a pro team in the city this season.