Cleveland 2009 post season discussion thread

Discussion in 'Cleveland' started by CCSUltra, Sep 27, 2009.

1. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: We're Staying in Cleveland

I think there were problems on both sides. There were some players who didn't have the talent to play at USL1 and some that did. Some of that was out of Rod's control. However, I did not always agree with the tactics he chose. Most of the season it seemed like the team would play not to lose instead of playing to win.

2. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

After nearly losing the team to freakin' Elkhart, Indiana, the City Stars could be coached by an inebriate squirrel and I wouldn't care, as long as they're playing in CLEVELAND!

3. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We're Cleveland sports fans. We're used to pain.

For example, does anyone seriously think that Shaq is going to help put the Cavs over the top and get them that NBA championship? Or is it more likely that Shaq will catch a case of "Cleveland" and his play will turn to sh*t?

------RM

4. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I will say that a USL starter last year was trying to get a tryout with the City Stars but basically had to call the coach and gm every day but couldnt get an answer even with his old coach's recommendation. You cant run a club like that and expect players to want to stay and or come.

5. Rich P

Rich P Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Cleveland, OH

Actually, it's a combination of the fact that Underwood couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag, Geissbauer brought a bunch of new players not knowing if they could actually play together, and a team mangement system that was utter chaos.

I'm sticking by what I said to others before. If the new ownership (if there is one) keeps brain-dead Underwood as coach, I'm done. I'm hoping by now that he found himself some work that he is capable of...I heard Chick-Fil-A was hiring.

The only reason that Wedge stayed as manager of Dolan's Discounts was that he was plyable, and worked cheap...kind of like the rest of the organization.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So was it last week for the deadline or is it this week?

7. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From everything that I have heard, the team has been sold, the sale is complete. I guess it was a businessman from the East side that bought that team (just what I've heard).

Hopefully that doesn't mean he's going to keep the team on the East side. Maybe he'd want to work with CSU to expand Krenzler. :D

8. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

CSU is a hypothesizing starting up a football team and there's no talk of expanding Krenzler.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Has any of this been printed or reported any where?
    Well, I hope your hearing right.

10. savetheforce

savetheforce New Member

May 29, 2005

You work in the front office, Is Cleveland going to join the TOA?

The way things are going it seems the new TOA league would have the following teams:

Miami Blues
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Montreal Impact
    Minnesota Thunder
    Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Carolina Railhawks
    St. Louis United
    Atlanta Silverbacks

It is believed that the Puerto Rico Islanders would join the TOA and possibly New York FC as well but its still up in the air.

USL would be left with the following teams:

Rochester Rhinos
    Charleston Battery
    Cleveland City Stars
    Portland Timbers
    Austin Aztex
    Ottawa

11. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So any update about the sale? Is it on hold with this other issue going on? I would imagine a possible ownership group not want to pay for a franchise in league where half the teams end up leaving.

13. pubman

pubman New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.

Anybody hear any news on the sale of the team? Or is the lack of news = bad news??

14. pubman

pubman New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.

Sale of the team???? Anybody care? What is the latest?

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Apparently there are USL meetings going on in Beaverton, OR this week. So maybe news will appear soon.

16. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think nobody has responded because nobody knows anything new. There is a local group that supposedly has bought the team but nothing new in almost 3 weeks.

17. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. savetheforce

savetheforce New Member

May 29, 2005

This deal with a possible ownership group was supposed to be done Nov 1. I also understand that DR Treadway will be going to the meeting.

We could be in the PDL by the way of Akron! Pdl was always a secound option if the team was not sold.

19. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would assume that if we're going to be at the meeting then the team would continue at USL1 level. Being the optimist, I'm going to assume that this is a sign the team will be continuing on. I don't know much, but I'm gonna try to look on the bright side of things.

Say the team is not sold and moves to PDL, would it be PDL Pro? And would the team move to Akron? I'd probably go there to watch them rather than be forced to give money to the Internationals.

20. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This whole strange saga is making feel guilty for not going to more matches. But, it just got to a point where I didn't feel like shelling out $15 to go see a crappy team at a crappy ground. :(

I guess, if they do end up coming back, in whatever incarnation it winds up being, I'll have to support it a bit better, and not take professional outdoor soccer in Cleveland for granted.

21. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When they first joined the league I had heard that they had actually wanted to go the PDL route. But that the Internationals blocked that move. Is Akron far enough to be out of the franchise range? Becuase all of their previous experience had been running a PDL team out in Oregon. But it looks like they did a pretty good job at the USL 2 level.

22. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

24. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From what I had heard, they wanted to put the main team in USL2 and have the reserves in PDL. However, the Internationals blocked that because of territorial rights. So the reserves (for the two seasons they existed) played in a local league.

For Akron being far enough out, it would depend on the certain territorial rights. If the Internationals just have "Cleveland" has the rights, then I would think Akron would work. Attendance wouldn't be an issue because nobody gives a ******** about the Internationals.

But, from everything that has come out, it does seem to appear that we're staying in USL-1 for the next season.

25. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If Akron's far enough out to put a PDL team,m aybe they should place a reserves team in Akron in the PDL. It could provide extra revenue (PDL ticket sales) and raise awareness of the Stars in the Akron/Canton market.