Clemson v NCSU [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by FIXXXER, Sep 21, 2002.

1. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    Hopefully someone will make it out to the game and give us a live update. Should be an interesting game and I'm sure the result of this game will just add more to the "Team to beat in the ACC Thread."

George's farewell tour thru Clemson????

Clemson 4-0

2. soccerclassic

soccerclassic New Member

Sep 15, 2002
    St. Simons
    Biased prediction .... FIXXXER

Well, I must admit that coming from the "biggest" Clemson soccer fan, this is a valid prediction of NCSU vs CU score. But I must agree with FIXXXER the way the boys from Clemson regroup after a tough loss I don't think that NCSU will be able to handle them. Especially at Riggs Field ..... but it will all depend on the group and how they come out to play.

Clemson 3 x NCSU 0

3. PB04

PB04 New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    I know no one will believe this - but this young NC State is a lot better this year. Last year Clemson won 2-1 on a goal scored in the last 15 seconds by Ian Fuller. It was a tight game throughout.

I can't predict a State win - but I think it will be close. My prediction Clemson 1 NC State 0.

4. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    It's a funny game

Wasn't there, but heard the reports....

Clemson 3 - 2 NC State

Also, 35 shots for Clemson, 5 for NCSU.

Evidently Clemson dominated with NCSU taking advantage of their few opportunities...

5. soccerclassic

soccerclassic New Member

Sep 15, 2002
    St. Simons
    Clemson vs hmmmmmm ....

Well, after watching a clemson domination today I can tell you that the Tigers are going to be a tough team to beat..... eventhough the scoreboard showed a 3 x 2 this was not a fair score. After watching Westfield tear the NCSU's defense I can tell you that with the offense power that CU has only a few teams will be able to beat them...... well, only themselves.... FIXXXER this one is for you buddy!

6. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    Re: Clemson vs hmmmmmm ....

I've seen all of the ACC teams now. Clemson and Virginia both have serious problems in defense. It's defense that wins championships in the college game. Clemson gave up 2 to Duke, and was under pressure many more times than the score would indicate. Giving up two to NC State, when State only had four opportunities is not a good sign either. Clemson may have all the big name players in defense, but they certainly aren't playing as a unit. It's too far into the season to be fixing their problems now. (Actually, I think their defensive problems can only be fixed by recruiting.)

The class of the field this year are Wake and Maryland. UNC looked to be playing much better defense against UVA. If UNC is getting it together defensively they could be a factor as well. I might have to make the drive Friday night to Winston-Salem to see Wake/UMD. This game could determine the regular season champion.

7. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    Re: Re: Clemson vs hmmmmmm ....

Good assessment, pretty impressive that you've been able to see all the teams already. Based on recent history, I still have trouble putting my faith in UMD and Wake. I believe that Clemson, UVA, and UNC will all get better as the year progresses. I've seen too many teams peak early and not maitain thru the season. It'll be interesting to watch, especially now that ACC play is in full swing. The Tournament should also be exciting as there doesn't seem to be a obvious favorite at this point.

8. PB04

PB04 New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    K1V1N –just finished watching Maryland and Clemson play NC State – back to back. I agree with you that Clemson right now has some serious defensive problems – but offensively Dimelon Westfield is the best forward I’ve seen all season. Last year NC State had a lot of chances against Clemson’s defense – yet they went on to win the ACC.

Last week I wasn’t all that impressed with Maryland’s offense – they certainly have a lot of ‘stars’ but they really didn’t display a great striker like Westfield. Maryland is deep at that position and basically just wore down State’s defense in the last 5 minutes of the game. Abe Thompson isn’t in the same class as Westfield. Westfield is the fastest player State has played against and has more moves - a constant threat. Also Mitchell Watson of NC State had an unbelievable game against Clemson – 18 saves (seemed like more). He may be the best keeper in the ACC.

9. comettiger

comettiger Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    Clemon Defensive Problems?

Maybe I am missing something but in the NC State game Clemson outshot NC State 34 to 5. Seems to me the problem is putting away chances but when you are creating that many opportunities they will eventually go in the net. Disagree with your comments on defensive problems.

10. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    Re: Clemon Defensive Problems?

Help me out with this one? When UVA ran the table in the ACC last year they didn't allow a single goal. Indiana on their way to the College Cup finals posted 16 shutouts. Clemson has given up four goals to the two weakest teams in the ACC. Against Duke their defense was nothing short of horrible. Warren, the posts, and Duke's incompetence were the only thing that kept Clemson in the game at all.

11. CU Tennis Star

CU Tennis Star New Member

Sep 23, 2002
    Clemson
    I may be wrong here, but isn't Doug Warren the best keeper in the ACC. He is the bester keeper in college ball. Please correct me if i'm wrong here.

12. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    none needed

No correction needed, you are right on

13. PB04

PB04 New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Doug Warren better be good with Clemson's defense....

14. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    That's good! Actually, every keeper in the ACC is pretty talented. It'd be hard to pick one. Warren certainly has the best reputation though.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I would rate the ACC keepers as follows

1. Doug Warren, Clemson
    2. Mitchell Watson, NC State
    3. Ford Williams, UNC
    4. Noah Palmer, William & Mary
    5. Will Hesmer, Wake Forest
    6. David Comfort, Virginia
    7. Justin Trowbridge, Duke

Watson gets no love because NC State sucks so bad but he gets shelled game in, game out and keeps the Pack from being ever more pathetic than they are. I know several MLS coaches think highly of him and I wouldn't be shocked if he went higher than Warren in the draft.

16. Christie Hopkins

Christie Hopkins New Member

Dec 3, 1999
    Columbia SC
    Sandon is right on as usual ....

His point about a heroic keeper/defender who keeps his team alive is well taken. Almost everyone misses this, there are two or three publications who name their team of the week and their criteria for defenders is how many goals they score!!

17. Re: Sandon is right on as usual ....

Spot on about keepers, defenders & awards. Denny Clanton (Dayton) is a damn good player, good enough to win Defender Of The Year in the PDL. He had a better season last year bracketed by a couple of guys who are playing for the A-League championship in Milwaukee (Bobo & Lara). The fourth guy in that FIRE Reserves defense is probably better than all of them, Tim Regan (Bradley). Of course Regan made the best XI this past week by scoring the goal to beat Notre Dame.

18. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

No more posting for Sandon after he's been drinking. Palmer plays for the almighty Terps.