Clemson-UNC(r)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by cantona24, Nov 1, 2003.

1. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    For all of you out there who love to complain about the college game--that there is too much hacking, not enough creativity, tons of athletes who run and run yet don't have the ability or desire to do more...this game was for you.

Clemson proved that they are not a very good team. UNC proved that they too can be a bad team. Neither side showed much to make their coaches proud. Yet, the Tigers did have a fighting spirit and held out for the victory. For that they should be commended.

There's really not much to talk about it terms of the game itself. UNC had more shots on the stat sheet, but they weren't very dangerous, except for a Harrington shot and a shot by Odgers off a Harrington cross. Storey and Watson got absolutely nothing up top, but it was hard to get things going when all the balls were served in the air from 40' away. The two are many things, but one thing they aren't is tall. It looked like Kneipper ball for UNC with only one problem...there was no Kneipper.

Overall the Heels looked out of sorts and lacking some intangible quality that they had a few weeks ago. As many know, I wear my UNC heart firmly and proudly on my sleeve, yet tonight's performance was not good. I really hope the team can find a way to turn things around. USC will be hungry for a win next weekend, and then there's the ACC tournament and NCSU. Two winnable games, but not if the intangible edge doesn't come back.

2. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Oh yeah, almost forgot to add the score...

Clemson 1, UNC 0

3. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    1-0??? I'll take it!!!!!

4. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    That is a huge win for Clemson considering the way this year has been going and shows they can still hang with the big boys.

That means Clemson plays UVA in the first round of the ACC's and that's a game Clemson can definitely win.

Does UNC have the ability to make a big run in the NCAA's?

5. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    cantona....what happened dude? Was the german genius outcoached? I see odgers missed a point blank shot in the box. Hmmmmm.

6. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Odgers' shot was hardly point blank...it was from the top of the box. Good hit that was deflected for a corner.

The boys didn't play well...though I'm pretty sure the final score had nothing to do with Trevor Adair "outcoaching" Elmar. UNC just didn't bring it last night.

7. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    http://TarHeelBlue.ocsn.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/110103aaa.html

According to this write up on UNC's website, it was a point blank shot.

Anyway, that game lasd night doesn't bode well for your boys as they begin the most important part of the season. Plus, you guys won't have Williams for the NCAA's because he'll be with the U20's. In the tourney, you always want your best, most experienced keeper in there. Plus, let's face it...if UNC draws a big physical team in the tourney, they're in trouble.

Concerning Adair "outcoaching" the german genius...that was written in jest. College coaches don't win games...but they sure can lose plenty of them.

8. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    I'm not sure if this was also written in jest or not, but I don't agree. While they don't score the goals or make the saves, they directly affect the outcomes of the games.

9. nostradamus

nostradamus New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    in the US
    I called the UNC loss

To all Clemson doubters specially PB04, last week I predicted that the Tigers would beat UNC. You said..."not a chance." PB, there is always a chance when games have to be played.

Nostradamus once again with a true prediction and how sweet it is!