Clemson falling short in NCAA [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by sheeplover, Sep 23, 2003.

1. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    It was time for a Clemson only subject post!

I think anyone who knows soccer has seen Clemson fall short of the Final Four and National Championship consistently more than they should since the program began.

Form the years of Popola, Nwokocka, Browne, Ariri, Abadi etc.. where they were felled by numerous refereeing indiscretions due to having too many foreigners and an unpopular head coach...............to..............
    The glory years of the 80's with Murray, Tormey, Eichmann etc..where they achieved what had always been deserved.........to..........
    The mid 90's with Harris, Joseph, Glenn, Stalteri, Care, Baba, Jordan etc..........to........
    the late 90's, 2000's where it was much of the same. So close yet so far.

Anyone who saw the Clemson teams of 1993,1995, 1998 and 2000 would have to agree that they had more than enough talent and heart to go all the way but their was always something missing.

Luck, pressure players or something?

Let's hear it

2. MusicBox

MusicBox New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Good competition?

3. Xande

Xande New Member

Mar 19, 2002
  4. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    Competition maybe, not coach

I think it is fair to say a combination of bad luck, refereeing and mentally strong cometition cost the team in 95, 98 and 2000 as I'm sure it has many other teams in other years.

In '98 playing the #2 ranked team Indiana in the Elite 8 robbed the Final Four of the 2 best teams and Clemson missed a lot of chances after coming in as #1 and 22-1.

The story is 2000 was a case of a referee giving a red card unjustly to a Clemson player and having to face UConn for a whole half with 10 men. Holding out for 88:30 and then giving up a cheap goal and then an incredibly lucky goal in overtime.

The coaching is first class but just can't make it over the final hurdle, maybe it's an ACC thing of late besides UNC and Maryland.

UNC was the 4th best team in the ACC when they won the title in 2001 and Maryland was the 4th best team in 1998 when they went.

What is the Indiana secret?

5. MusicBox

MusicBox New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    USC has recorded decent results against Indiana in the past.......but can't beat Clemson. This year could be turning point......I wouldn't bet on it though...

6. Xande

Xande New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    correction

didnt complete my post
    Coach has no options? Hasnt the team been banged up since preseason? I think once they settle down with the same group of guys getting playing time together that they will do well. The seniors need to serious and make sure the rest of the team does so as well. Don

7. Xande

Xande New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    correction

didnt complete my post
    Coach has no options? Hasnt the team been banged up since preseason? I think once they settle down with the same group of guys getting playing time together that they will do well. The seniors need to serious and make sure the rest of the team does so as well. Dont think there is a reason behind not being able to win in the past. Soccer is the most unfair sport you can possible play. No other game can you dominate so much and still lose. Sometimes things just dont go your way...nothing you can do.....but I think clemson still has alot to show this year....and i think it will start with the invitational this weekend