Claudio Lopez to KC?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by s0ccerstud86, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatmeal

Oatmeal Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Any updates here on the Lopez situation? ... it has been quiet for a few days.

2. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nada

3. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Freaking sweet. Sounds like its all but a done deal. Starting to feel pretty optimistic about this season.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep. That would fill the other two games the team is suppose to play down there.

7. DCUtd

DCUtd Member

Oct 26, 1999
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know what the Wizards schedule is? I would love to see them play while they are here. (I am an expat living in BA and just found out the Wizards are in town for preseason when I read in a local paper that Lopez is supposed to sign with the Wizards at their hotel this week, if not today.)

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://hillcrestroad.blogspot.com/2008/02/while-in-buenos-airescoyote-vote.html
    schedule is there
    Day,Date Opponent
    Monday, March 3 Defensa y Justicia
    Wednesday, March 5 Velez Sarfield
    *Tuesday, March 11 TBD
    *Friday, March 14 TBD

With the news that they'll play Boca and River, those two will likely each take one of the games on either the 11th or 14th.

9. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Monday, March 3 Defensa y Justicia
    Wednesday, March 5 Velez Sarfield
    *Tuesday, March 11 TBD
    *Friday, March 14 TBD

The article you mentioned also said the TBD dates are going to be against Boca and River. Today's match (March 3) got rained out.

EDIT: Ahhh beat to the punch by seconds!

10. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you can get to see the games. Last year they were closed to the public. I have a friend in BA that tried to go to a game. But if you can go, hopefully you can get some pictures and maybe some video?(assuming you have digital camera)

11. DCUtd

DCUtd Member

Oct 26, 1999
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a socio at River so I may be able to get in if they play at the Club and not out at Ezeiza. Last year they stayed near my house, actually, and I didn't know they were in town until I saw the team all together and I though "wow, those guys look like they are wearing Wizards warm-ups...."

Thanks for the help - I will let you know whatever I learn. I am a big fan of Curt Onalfo, so I hope I get to see the 3-5-2 experiment....

12. Michigan Bayern Fan

Michigan Bayern Fan New Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Melvindale, Michigan
    What are the thoughts of the KC faithful on this one? Will the Wizards do better with Lopez than with EJ? EJ had some great moments but he seemed to be inconsistent toward the end of the season. Lopez seems to have a great resume and he is still relatively young at 32.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of our thoughts are throughout this thread.

14. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thinking is that he MIGHT be better because the parts around him MIGHT be better. A healthy Scott Sealy and Carlos Marinelli are the real defining factors for me. If they're not in place, defenses will key on Lopez and it won't matter.

15. jimbchr

jimbchr Member

Mar 3, 2008
    kcmo
    I'll believe it when I see it. It would be nice to get a player of his caliber in KC. Would much rather take a chance on a young guy for our DP slot (suggestions?) but at least it looks like we're taking the initiative and using our DP slot unlike some other cheap teams.

16. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. The formation change to 3-5-2 will probably be a big factor too.

17. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how the "world free agent pool" looks, but there may not be any younger DP candidates out there worth taking a chance on at this time. And unfortunately, we need a proven striker NOW.

18. jimbchr

jimbchr Member

Mar 3, 2008
    kcmo
    Have the wizards forged a working relationship with any euro powerhouse teams? I remember hearing about colorado and arsenal but can't recall much else. Now I'm not a soccer executive, quite far from it, but pursuing mid-level prospects on loan from the youth ranks in Europe seems more beneficial to both sides. We get young talent, their young talent gets in-game experience and exposure. Kinda like to see this happen-seems to me to be a better use of what little money MLS teams have access to.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't have one currently, but they're working on it, as Greg Cotton mentioned here on the Wizards team blog: http://hillcrestroad.blogspot.com/2008/02/cotton-in-hizzy.html

As for loan deals and such. That's not been happening for any team in MLS from the team that they have a relationship with. The only thing the Arsenal partnership has done for CO is that it's allowed them to go over in London. 99% of the relationships between MLS and foreign clubs have been just for show. I think Dallas and their Brazilian club are the only one's that have really capitalized on their relationship.

20. jimbchr

jimbchr Member

Mar 3, 2008
    kcmo
    That's a shame-maybe we'll get that rollin in a few years. Anyways, thanks for the input-just stumbled onto this messageboard today and have gotten succinct and sound responses to all questions. Joined the cauldron today and look forward to cheering for our boys in a few short weeks.

21. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll be glad to have ya

22. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Wow. Awesome. Too bad it wasn't last week, we just had a little Pre-season shindig Saturday night.

Introduce yourself at the first tailgate. If you play indoors, we're going to need some people for the KCSoccerdome Cash Cup team we're trying to put together that will be on March 27th and 28th. Details coming soon.

23. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is most first division euro teams can loan their youth prospects out to lower divisions in their own league instead of shipping them across the Atlantic. It's easier to keep an eye on them that way and a lot of the time they send them places where the manager may have connections so they know they're in good hands as far as their development as opposed to an unknown person on a different continent.

24. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. DCUtd

DCUtd Member

Oct 26, 1999
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomorrow Velez has a closed training scheduled with no press allowed. Looks like I can't get in tomorrow. Am checking on River and Boca still.