Classless Rochester player tears down MTL banner

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Daniel from Montréal, Sep 9, 2007.

1. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm a neutral here, so my opinion is based regardless of which teams were playing or which supporters groups were involved.

Having said that, good for the player. It either showed some balls (or stupidity) for doing that. If supporters groups are going to be dishing it out, they ought to be man enough to take it. If that were one of your players doing it to the opposing fans, you would be loving it. The player should still be fined for it as he is lucky that happened here in the US. Most anywhere else in the world, that would start a riot.

Not sure if the Montreal fans got their flag back, but in Latin America, anytime you take an opposing teams flags/banners/ etc ... we call them trophies. It happens to all teams barras/ultras/ "supporters groups". The toughest, badest,meanest of them as well. It comes with the territory ...

What you don't do is call yourself an ultra or a "supporters group" and then cry about something like this. Makes you look bad. Might as well call yourself a booster club then ...

2. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The UM and the Stampede have gone back and forth and that's fine. That's to be expected.

A player pulling down a fan banner (and doing it in such a sneaky, punk way) is disgusting. What were we going to do? Jump on the field and bumrush him? That would have worked out great... Players deal with players, and fans with fans.

I don't think I've EVER seen a player pull such a move. Saying that "we'd love it" is a ridiculous stretch as I believe our players are smart enough to not even try to pull some stupid sh*t like that.

As for Soccer Sam, that's the first I hear of it. People seem to blame a lot of nonsensical things on the UM. We don't cross the parking lots to or from the game and no one knew he was at the game. That being said, people in Montreal don't generally like big American cars with big American plates.

3. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Another unbiased observer who just kinda stumbled upon this thread comment:

As I see it the fans can yell at the players as much as they want, so I don't have a problem with a player taunting them back after he scores (See FCD vs Colorado 2006/Maykel Galindo vs LA a few weeks ago).

That being said, it's a bitch move for some sub who had no part in the goal or the game to come over and rip a banner down. Hey douchebag you didn't do anything, if you really want to make them hurt why don't you go into the game and score.

4. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    The player should be banned/fined for inciting the crowd,that's for sure.

5. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're so full of shit.

Let's talk about attacking people with mace, throwing rocks at visitors busses.

You are the worst of the worst Daniel because you're always too chicken to participate, but you defend every scumsucking little p.o.s. who does the dirty work you won't dare do.

I hope the league does fine Perry because it'll give the Rochester fans another chance to show our support for him.

6. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    hahaha...I don't know what goes on between you guys but you want to show support for this coward?That has nothing to do with loving your players,my friend.Be a man enough to admit it when your player is in the wrong.

7. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal
    Same thing, we have a stampede banner and a stampede scarf. That was taken from them not by a player. The stampede call this payback when they didnt do one thing. :rolleyes:

8. seattlesportsfan

seattlesportsfan New Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Everett
    It is one thing for rival supporters to dish it back and forth. We take the shit and give it with Portland all the time but the players do not get involved with the opposing fans. That is classless and unprofessional. If the player doesn't like what the fans are doing, he should be a professional and ignore it and show his anger, frustration or whatever on the pitch where it belongs. And the fact that the guy wasn't even involved in the play, hell he wasn't even on the pitch, makes it that much worse. He should be fined and susupended for his childlish actions.

9. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for my take on it... I am a very fair person. Should Perry get fined...? Damn right he should get fined. But I am not going to lie... Beating Montreal 2-0 but seeing the players go at it also with the fans was the best thing I have ever seen at a Rhinos game.

But also, don't complain. This is the biggest rivalry in the USL hands down. You have to expect stunts like this everytime we clash. If lets say roberio was to do it to the stampedes banner at claude you bet your butt that the fans would go crazy. Embrace the rivalry and love it.

Rochester/Montreal HANDS DOWN BEST RIVALRY

10. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal
    Why do we have to expect mediocre players to act like superstars and rip things down? They aren't Maradona's or Cantona's who have enough skill to to pull it off.

Of course we would love if roberio would do it to the stampedes banner.All we need to do is sign a player named Roberio.

:rolleyes:

11. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A smart guy eh? haha

Jason Perry would start for anyother team... He is a very good defender. Calloway is just a confused guy.

12. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ribeiro* Close enough... He's a frog!

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I thought he was from Bel-Air
    [​IMG]

14. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

This whole thing seems blown out of proportion. Sure it may have been a classless act on behalf of the Rhino player, but come on... quit acting like a bunch of cry babies. Its pitiful.

15. girlsoccerstar444

girlsoccerstar444 New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Walworth, NY
    I thought it was great! I doubt Jason could hear the Ultras very much as the crowd was so loud I could not and I was closer to them than he was.

The Montreal fans and players have respect for no one. When the warm up period was over the players ignored security and refused to leave the field.

A Montreal fan ruined a Rochester car and the Montreal fans stole the Stampede's banner before.

Besides, other players from teams like Carolina have gotten involved with the fans in Rochester when they visited. So why can't our player get involved with the pond scum fans?:)

16. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reminds me of the good old chant of "WE HATE MONTREAL!".

17. Trident

Trident Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Montreal

That reminds me of your groups marvelously inventive songs.

18. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks... haha

19. IceFunk

IceFunk Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    haha yes, finally a piss-up thread between Rochester-Montreal...:p

...hey at least it's not another Portland-Seattle one!! :D

20. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have our own forums to argue on.

21. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

So do most teams supporters.

22. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

23. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Portland for instance. I gotta say though, nice crowd in Rochester. I really like that stadium.

24. Guelah Papyrus

Guelah Papyrus New Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Fairport, NY
    He apologized by the way....

25. Baracuda

Baracuda Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Portland Oregon
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't sound like much of an apology to me. All he said is that he shouldn't have done it...or did I miss something.

I'd be afraid of what Timbers fans would do in that instance.