Classic Primera Division Teams

Discussion in 'Argentina: Clubs' started by RiverGaucho, May 12, 2013.

1. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'll make this thread so that we can discuss and post videos of some of the classic teams in the history of the Argentina Primera Division. To start, I'll go with a team that wasn't the greatest, but it did have some of the biggest names.

It is River Plate champion of the 1981 Nacional.

The team was coached by a guy you may have heard of Alfredo Di Stefano and featured some of the biggest names in the history of the Primera Division.

As anyone who lived in Argentina at the time (or perhaps many who didn't), Boca had made the big signing of 1981 by bringing in Maradona. To counter that, River went abroad and brought in Kempes from Valencia.

Some of the other big names included, Ubaldo "el Pato" Fillol in goal, Daniel Passarella, el Vasco Olarticoechea, Alberto Tarantini, Nene Commisso, el Tolo Gallego, Mostaza Merlo, JJ Lopez, el Beto Alonso, and Ramon Angel Diaz. As you can see, many of these players won the Word Cup with Argentina.

The biggest moments were a 3-2 win in La Bombonera with goals from Kempes, Passarella, and Garcia, a 2-2 draw with Boca in El Monumental, in which JJ Lopez scored a famous goal from nearly half field, but Boca would tie with 2 goals from Maradona.

In the kock out stages, River beat Central and then Independiente. In the Final, River beat Ferro 1-0 in El Monumental with a goal from Olarticoechea, and then in Ferro's stadium, a goal from Kempes sealed the championship.

Here is a recap of the season

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great thread topic, and I do indeed remember that team. I'll bring up some of the great Boca teams when I have time. I'll let RiverGaucho and others do River, and somebody else can do some of the other great teams.

RiverGaucho repped this.
  3. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think another team that deserves mention is Ferro Carril Oeste. Many new Argentina fans may have never heard of this team, as they have been down in the ascenso for over a decade if my mind serves me correctly. They even dropped to the 3rd division at one point.

In 1981, they were so close to the title. They finished just 2 points behind Boca in the Metropolitano, and then lost the Nacional Final to River, 2-0 on aggregate, but the following year went undefeated and won the Nacional 1982. Some of the key names include future Valencia manager Hector Cuper and goalkeeper Carlos Barisio. In the history of the Primera, only San Lorenzo, Ferro, Boca, and River have achieved undefeated seasons, so it is quite remarkable that they were able to reach such heights

They also won the 1984 Nacional, getting revenge over River, who by that point had Francescoli in the side.

Heres a quick resume of the 1982 Nacional Final won by Ferro over Quilmes

Heres a video about the Ferro team from 1984

It would be nice to see Ferro back in the Primera one day!

4. LaFuriaNolan

LaFuriaNolan Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Montréal
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is it too soon to mention the Independiente team of the 70s? :whistling: