Classic Images Thread

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Sempre, Mar 13, 2006.

1. kickoff3pm

kickoff3pm Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

G Best at the precise moment when things other then football entered his world.

KO.

2. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Just for you then :D

[​IMG]

Although it is a great photo in it's own right.

3. kickoff3pm

kickoff3pm Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  4. kickoff3pm

kickoff3pm Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This has got to be one of my favorites although I'm not a gunner, look at the face and image the result and it's you in the picture, fantastic Charlie George.

[​IMG]

5. kickoff3pm

kickoff3pm Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  6. kickoff3pm

kickoff3pm Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Another quiz for you what does this image represent and why is it so importent to the supporter next season ?

[​IMG]

7. kickoff3pm

kickoff3pm Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is how one club, Bolton I think, used to practice their shotting in the 1950s.

[​IMG]

vilafria repped this.
  8. kickoff3pm

kickoff3pm Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

West Brom training in the 50s, they were the first club to wear traning gear designed for the purpose.

9. kickoff3pm

kickoff3pm Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And to round it all off a classic, these four images where made to show on the front page of my web site. The random script pickout a new image each time the browser was refeshed. Hope you like them, I have over 1000 football magazine and books dating back to 1905 so if I had the time I could do this all day but what I've uploaded today where ones available on my PC already.

[​IMG]

10. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Two of my favourites:
    Giggs about to unleash after that breathtaking run:
    [​IMG]

OGS wins the CL for Man Utd. I love the look on all the players faces:
    [​IMG]

11. kickoff3pm

kickoff3pm Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What the hell is he try trying to do.

[​IMG]

Ellington ? nicknamed the Duke and rename by Albion fans as the Duck.

12. Affliction

Affliction New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Telford
    [​IMG]

If there was a better team ever in the history of football I defy you to tell me. Seriously you've got 4 or 5 of the greatest players of ALL time, not just the best AT the time in their starting 11. Pele and Rivelino are in the top 5 players of all time and I'd say Carlos Alberto and Jairzinho are in the top 15 too.

[​IMG]

The inventor of that elastico move Ronaldinho so often does. Lmao at the expression on the defenders face as Roberto completely blitzes him.

13. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    You would be hard pushed to call them the best ever from their own country.

[​IMG]

The 58 vintage.

14. Affliction

Affliction New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Telford
    They were awesome too but not as good in my opinion. The late 70's/early 80's team led by Socrates was out of this world, but never won the world cup due to inexplicable reasons.

15. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    The '58 team's defense was superior to the 1970 team. Also, 1970 had one of the worst goalies ever. But the 1970 team was 'awesome' from start to finish, unlike the 1958 team.

Carlos Alberto and Jairzinho hardly rate among the top 15 players of all time. And Rivelino definitely is not among the top 5 players of all time.

16. Kubala

Kubala New Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Torino
    Feliz is considered one the worst brasilian keepers playing in a World Cup, that's true.

But Carlos Alberto is considered by many the best right defenders of the football history.
    He was a very offensive half back, maybe more a winger and a playmaker than a true defender, and to compensate Zagalo had to put in the 11 a very defensive left half-back (Everaldo) instead of the more talented Marco Antonio.

Anyway, Carlos Alberto Torres is for sure one of the best brasilian players in that position, together with Djalma Santos, Leandro (IMHO a great player) and maybe Cafu.

17. Affliction

Affliction New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Telford
    Carlos Alberto is in the top 10 I'd say, and Jairzinho was a complete striker. People ride Gerd Muller because he scored so many goals but he wasn't exciting to watch at all, he just scored tap in and after tap in. Jairzinho was electric, the way he'd tear apart a defense then unleash an unstoppable finish. And Rivelino was absolutely amazing, I'd say he was the 4th or 5th greatest player of all time and he was easily the best left winger of all time. He could dominate a game from the wings and run the game from the centre effortlessly. His technique, ball control, shooting, passing, skills and pace were all incredible. Plus his moustache gave him cult status in Brazil. He was completely loyal to his club Corinthians and stayed with them for 10 years when the Brazillian league was the best in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huocg7im0Lw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3jBWXYZuqk&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLzpOiJx0mA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMXn5hpxaxE

^Some videos of the maestro in action. The last goal is one of the best I've ever seen.

18. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    He's hideously over-rated. He's not even in the top 10 right backs of all time. He certainly fitted well into that Brazil side, but there have been much better right backs (including at least two Brazilians).

19. Kubala

Kubala New Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Torino
    Well, much time has passed, we haven't seen many movies with Carlos Alberto Torres playing, still if uou look at brasilian sites you will always see this player quoted as one of the best in his position.
    He was already a crack in 1966 and everybody expected him in the Brasilian 11 and there was much surprise and rumours when he was left out of the 22 players coming to England.
    And, if you say he was overrated, the first to overrate Carlos Alberto was Beckenbauer who played with him in Cosmos and said Carlos Alberto is probably the best player he has been playing with ...

20. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Where and when did Beckenbauer say this? I have serious doubts he said that, considering that he played together with Pelé at Cosmos and Beckenbauer always stated that Pelé is the greatest player of all.

It must be mentioned that Carlos Alberto and Beckenbauer played together for three seasons at Cosmos and became quite close friends. Both of them were going to Berlitz language school in New York to learn English properly, but Beckenbauer later said that they often skipped their English lessons at Berlitz and instead just stopped at Central Park watching the people go by, enjoying that (almost) nobody recognized them.

21. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich

A Gerd-Müller-bashing Brazil fan? That's a real rarity. There have been many players similar to Jairzinho throughout history, but how many players can you name that were similar to Gerd Müller? Müller in his very own way was a very special player, what he did wasn't easy, if it had been, many other "untalented" players could have done the same. People can analyze why Zidane, Pelé, Rivelino, Cruyff etc were great players, but you can't really analyze what made Müller one of the most fearsome players ever. Müller is an enigma. Jairzinho is not in the same league.

Rivelino was a great player, but there were many other players just as talented as him or more talented that have to be rated above him. Basically Rivelino played one great World Cup (1970), an average one in 1974 and wasn't much of a factor in 1978. He shined when he had players like Pelé, Jairzinho, Gerson etc. around him, but in 1974, Rivelino was the main man and he played a disappointing tournament (just like Jairzinho).

22. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    He is rated highly because he was the captain of one of the all time great sides (and scoring that goal doesn't hurt either), but look at him purely on his own abilities and he simply is not in the top bracket of players.
    He was a very good attacking full back, but defensively he was average at best. There are others who offered just as much (if not more) going forward and were far better defensively.

23. BOTN

BOTN New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Wolverhampton, UK
    Just shows you the quality of West Brom players doesnt it?:cool:

24. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Kind of gay!!!! Beckenbauer and Pele sharing a shower!!!

[​IMG]

25. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Why the hell is there a camera in the shower room?:confused: