Class of 2020 Recruiting

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Soccerhunter, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Right on schedule (for the recent "early recruiting" years that is) we have a few 2020s committed.

Over the last 6 years Penn State has established itself as the pre-eminent destination on the east coast for top soccer talent. The Nittany Lion class of 2020 is continuing that surge with the commitment of the consensus #1 player in the 2020 class, Jordan Caniff. Caniff is a veteran midfield starter on the U17 USYNT playing up 2 years.

Other 2020 commits are Paige Peltier to Notre Dame and Alexis Vanderlinden to Miami (Florida.) (There are also already several 2021 commits but that is another story.)

As per usual, I will not get out a ranking until there are a minimum of 200 players committed which will not be for another 18 months or thereabouts.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  2. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Any idea how many 2020's have committed at this point? Saw Washington has one too. So that means players now early in their freshman year in high school have committed. Which means they were starting to get recruited in 8th grade and it is permissible for college coaches to contact these eight graders directly as they are not in high school. Was really hopeful we would not get to this point but here we are. Disgusting that coaches think this is OK and that parents go along with it. And I'm sure we will hear from Dambach, Anson, Ang Kelly, etc. how bad this is and the problems it creates when they are the ones creating the dilemma.

6peternorth9 repped this.
  3. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    These 2020's must be good size athletes now. Are coaches looking at their parents and projecting? Will the rosters in the power 5 conferences list girls 5'9-6'1 five years from now?

4. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with your thoughts on the issue, I'm not sure the problem can be fixed.
    Same thing is happening in other non-revenue sports, like women's volleyball.
    It seems, at this point, you either adapt or perish (as a program).

5. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    The NLI procedure is archaic. Cannot believe it is still utilized in recruiting today. Or maybe it can be used to stop the early recruiting? Ask a school, coach and parent to sign one if both sides are committed....These coaches like the big verbal commit, but I doubt if they would want it in ink or maybe they would. Fun Fact- NLI has nothing to do with the NCAA. Prospects don't even have to sign one in Feb.

6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then who regulates those? Why are they done?

7. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    About the National Letter of Intent (NLI)
    The NCAA manages the daily operations of the NLI program while the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) provides governance oversight of the program. Started in 1964 with seven conferences and eight independent institutions, the program now includes 650 Division I and Division II participating institutions.

The NLI is a voluntary program with regard to both institutions and student-athletes. No prospective student-athlete or parent is required to sign the NLI and no institution is required to join the program.

The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an NLI member institution.

• A prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the institution full-time for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
    • The institution agrees to provide athletics financial aid for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
    The penalty for not fulfilling the NLI agreement: A student-athlete has to serve one year in residence (full-time, two semesters or three quarters) at the next NLI member institution and lose one season of competition in all sports.

An important provision of the NLI program is a recruiting prohibition applied after a prospective student-athlete signs the NLI. This prohibition requires member institutions to cease recruitment of a prospective student-athlete once an NLI is signed with another institution.

cpthomas and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  8. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean, that they cannot play for 1 year AND WON'T have FULL financial support? :confused:
    Sorry, I don't have any family that have ever been offered a NLI. :notworthy:
    Heck, I have few family members who even attended college. :sleep:
    Those who did go, were able to obtain academic scholarships. :geek:

9. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    Last paragraph is key. What they fail to mention is the signing date. Back in 1964 high school athletes probably were just making their decision to attend a school in jan/feb of their senior year. Hence the feb signing date. Other sports have an early and later signing date. Recruiting has changed drastically since 1964, yet that date remains? umday....

10. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    A quick look at the 2020 class.

I suppose that the news is that very few recruits have made public commitments to Stanford. Blue chipper Astrid Wheeler has committed to go to Palo Alto as has Julia Leontini, but that is all I can find at the moment and there may be more. The other shoe dropping is that UCLA as -count 'em- 9 committed recruits in my top 30 listing including top ten Reilyn Turner. Harvard amazes with three top recruits on my list (#5, #9, #11) Clemson has three strong players each with long USYNT experience. Penn state has the consensus #1 recruit in Jordan Caniff but not much of a known class after that.

So here's a quicky list with no promises it will hold as there are a number of fine recruits that haven ot committed yet.

Tier I (top 1%)
    UCLA
    Harvard (yup, you read that right.)
    Clemson

Tier II
    (top 3%)
    Virginia
    UNC
    Stanford
    Duke
    Penn State
    Rutgers

HeloBubba and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  11. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember when Kelly O'Hara was coming up and I thought to myself maybe FSU has a shot, she is only four hours away. Nope, she went to Stanford. Twelve years later here is another young women in Wheeler who I thought maybe FSU could land, but nope she also goes across country. Amazingly I do not believe FSU has had a woman from Georgia on its roster in over 10 years. Tallahassee in only 25 minutes from Georgia.

12. HeloBubba

HeloBubba New Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Word is Jordan Canniff will be going to Penn State a year early.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  13. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I'll be interested to see her play in college. I saw her play on a good U16 Richmond United team at least two years ago, and observed that she wasn't very big, and didn't seem hugely athletic--but she scored three goals against a pretty solid opponent. Haven't seen her play much at all since then, but know that she suffered a knee injury early this year (or late last year?).

14. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Penn State are full of Canniffs. not sure why they recruit the same player over and over again. Half that Class is injured or coming back from injuries. Have no clue why you would want to go a year early, but each to their own. She is by no means a lock to be able to handle it physically.

15. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I wonder on whose consesus ? I see shades of Tagliaferri there.

16. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhm, Messi is one of the smaller players in the world. Size doesn't matter.
    One high caliber player who can score, will affect the whole team dynamic.

17. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems a lot of the criticism directed at the current style of play across the US is its reliance on big physical players who lack technical skills. However when players of smaller stature come along with great ball skills they are dismissed. So which is it?

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  18. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    HIlarious. Messi ? Stop, please. Where did I say size mattered? I said handle it physically. Comparing players to Messi is idiotic simply because they share some of his physical traits.

19. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Disagree. The criticism is not size based. Its QUALITY. Ronaldo is big, physical and a fantastic player. Please show me the small player with great ball skills who is dismissed.

EVERY player has to fight for the right to display the talent they have - big, small, slow or fast.

There are players in the US YNT system who, in spite of repeated failure, seem to get fast tracked from level to level. Having seen many of them, its hard to understand how or why it persists.

20. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should of specified "across women's soccer in the US".

21. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In what way were you referring to Caniff's inability to: "handle it physically?"
    Were you simply referring to her getting exhausted or not being strong enough? If it's the later, then physicality (size is a direct correlation) is what you were referring too. I gave you Messi as an examply who of diminutive players who can handle the physicality of the game. In women's college soccer Ashley Sanchez comes to mind.

22. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    there are big and small players who cannot handle the physical demands of the game. Size alone =/= what is required. Size is not a direct correlation at all in my opinion. If we are talking about male pros ( I would rather not, but you did) is kante big? Is he able to play a physical game? Size =/= strength.

My comments are based on seeing the player in question play in person at least 10x and in direct competition to other kids I know well.

23. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    why was Ashley Sanchez subbed in almost every U-20 WC game ?

24. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Naturally, the ideal is a kid who is athletic, has some size and is technical--and while there are a decent number of such players around, more often a kid will have athleticism but lack a bit of technical s
    Yea, that was interesting as I don't recall Sanchez being substituted early before--not at UCLA or in other NTs--but then not even UCLA as NT depth of talent. I think the African-American kid who came in--I'm sorry but her name escapes me--has even more pace than Sanchez (and is a little bigger), and she did some good things. Maybe it was a stamina issue, or maybe it was just wanting to get the talented sub in the game--and her position was Sanchez's position.

25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You maybe talk about Abigail Kim?