Class of 2009 Recruiting

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cbg2004, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article I read(a few months ago) said she chose Missouri over ND and some others. So maybe ND did not offer, or maybe a scholarship opened up. Either way this is another example of why I think girls should not commit to a college before they even start their junior years of high school. No wonder there are so many transfers in women's college soccer.

2. jogabonita9

jogabonita9 New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there any d 1 schools still in search of players ?? If so who ??

3. UncleFugly

UncleFugly Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, with 300+ D1 programs out there, chances are there are plenty of open slots at some fine institutions.

4. cardinal

cardinal New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Apparently she does. In the context of NCAA Div I soccer recruiting, "commitment" means you sign a National Letter of Intent in February of your senior year. That's why the NCAA set a date before which colleges can't sign recruits.

If they were they had every right to do so. And they wouldn't be the only coaches to do so. Verbals aren't binding and unless a recruit says "No" coaches have every right to contact recruits until they sign elsewhere.

And yes I realise that as a practical matter coaches have to start relying on a recruit's verbal commitment, but not before their senior year.

5. jogabonita9

jogabonita9 New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK, then can you suggest a few ??
    It would help!!:):rolleyes:

6. multisport

multisport Member

Nov 9, 2008
    are you a parent? it is late in the recruiting game but there are always slots...are we talking top tier or 3rd or 4th tier, money or not, and why d1 as opposed to d2 at this point. players transfer, change their minds. there is a service..not a recruiting service but more college counselling....www.soccerscholarshipcoach.com . cheap and specializes in finding the right fit-- even naia.

7. jogabonita9

jogabonita9 New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a player looking for a good home!!

8. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    This just in, Ohai to UNC..Can you imagine Jessica MCDonald and Kealia Ohai on the attack. The speed will be blinding..

9. ZSoccer

ZSoccer New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    You could be right. UNC gets most of the top recruits but I am not sure where you are getting your info on Kealia. It seems like it was a USC vs Portland battle for her. I have no inside info but based on her latest interview with topdrawersoccer she seemed to favor those two single if you read between the lines. I would be somewhat suprised if she ended up at UNC.

10. Smashfoot

Smashfoot New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Work the phones, baby. Work the phones.

11. Smashfoot

Smashfoot New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    One thing that bugs me is the difference between women's college soccer and college football when it comes to reporting NLI's.

Let's just compare a few top womens soccer programs with their football counterparts:

Notre Dame: Football date reported = 2/4, Women's soccer date reported = ?
    UCLA: Football date reported = 2/4, Women's soccer date reported = ?
    North Carolina: Football date reported = 2/4, Women's soccer date reported = ?
    Stanford: Football date reported = 2/4, Women's soccer date reported = ?

On several of the above college football sites, you can get internet video of signing day announcements. None of the women's soccer sites mention that today is signing day.

12. G Clinton

G Clinton New Member

Sep 29, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I think one of the reasons football posts at the first possible time is that college football like it or not has a much bigger fan/base interest than women's soccer. So the women's programs wait until the hoopla over the football signings are subsiding so as not get lost in the shuffle.

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  14. pantone159

pantone159 New Member

Oct 12, 2002
    Austin
  15. Aggie Soccer

Aggie Soccer New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mary Schmidt, D, from Slammers FC has signed with Texas A&M. Great pickup as she was the leader of the defense for one of the best club teams in California. That was a surprise signee this morning.

16. darntaz

darntaz New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I think that many soccer programs just market themselves poorly. About half the SEC has information on soccer signings and LSU which won national titles in football and has one of the top 3 recruiting classes in football this year, made a big deal out of their soccer signings and had live programs and updates. Some soccer websites have not updated their sites since their last game and do a poor job even during the season. They work hard on recruiting and one major mode of communication that today’s players use is the internet and some barely use it. I hear recruits talk all the time about various college websites and it sends a message to them about how serious the school is committed to marketing the program. I have seen better rec soccer websites than some of the colleges. The job that LSU and A & M did along with several others could make a difference when a player is undecided

17. eastcoastsocer

eastcoastsocer New Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    She is a great pick up. I thought she was a done deal to go to Notre Dame?

18. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    While I agree that many schools have a bare minimum of communication on their website, you cannot automatically blame the soccer program for it, typically it's more a function of the Sports Information Department and its willingness to put in the extra work required to post information to the site. I've heard a good number of coaches discuss their frustration with the lack of quality and content on their websites but have little control over it because the SID will not (or claims they cannot because of limited resources) do a lot of extras for the soccer program and that attitude is backed up--whether implicitly or explicitly--by the administration.

I think if you're a fan, patron or booster of a particular program and you would like to see more you should contact the SID and SWA of that school and let them know that you would like to see more coverage.

19. Northwinds

Northwinds Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Eau Claire,Wisconsin
    That is exactly right. It is not the soccer programs that are at fault. It is 100% the administration's and SID office who control what does and doesn't get done....and how timely it will get done.

Not every school has the staff to get it done asap. Believe me, every coach wants there release done as soon as it can. The other aspect is the compliance part. You can't release on a player until the signed paperwork is in and approved. So you are also potentially waiting on kids and parents to get it back in. And a coach wants to put out one release and not 3 separate ones as they come in, if they can avoid it.

20. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps, but I know Illinois makes a conscious decision to wait until the football signing noise dies down. There aren't too many places where the women's soccer signing announcements will get widespread notice if they're released at the same time as football. It simply gets buried, despite the efforts of those like me who cover women's soccer in a college football/basketball town. When they wait a few days...or even a week, there's a much better chance of getting the news out to the general public. As to how much difference this makes to recruits, I think it's minimal. I think Illinois does a pretty good job in general with the soccer portion of its website. People can look for themselves and make up their own minds.

http://fightingillini.cstv.com/sports/w-soccer/ill-w-soccer-body.html

21. jbs01

jbs01 Member

Oct 8, 2002
    carrboro
    It's my understanding that UNC waits until they have in hand all of the commitments they are expecting and the girls have all paid their deposits to the university indicating their intentions to enroll. If one is late or held up by an admission technicality, or a variety of other reasons, the wait can be pretty long (as it was last year).

So. it's not always just a matter of updating a Web site.

22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    UP does pretty much the same thing, although I don't think it's so much driven by money as by the letters of intent being signed, and they do wait until at least the regular season is over for basketball. It does seem in Portland's case that all the recruits signed their letters yesterday, and UP fans know who they are, so it's really timed to get the best media attention in the local market.

There is an NCAA rule that a school can only have one press conference and/or official function on campus to announce players, so that's part of what drives it. If they announced on a website, for instance, there would be no reason for the press conference.

23. UncleFugly

UncleFugly Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nebraska checks in.

Well-done release. Lots of detail and photos, much like Maryland's.