Class of 2009 Recruiting

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cbg2004, Feb 4, 2008.

1. BocaJfanatic

BocaJfanatic New Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Bywaters is a great player. Whatever school she goes to will have a great player on thier hands.

2. cbg2004

cbg2004 New Member

Jul 26, 2004
  3. Soccerfl

Soccerfl New Member

Apr 25, 2008
    It is an amazing list of 2009 players already verbally committed. Also interesting to see what club teams the players are coming from. Some club teams already have 8 or more players for 09" committed.

Thanks for the list!

4. ZSoccer

ZSoccer New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Aren't you getting carried away with 2011 recruits? it seems a bit early.

5. cbg2004

cbg2004 New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    As I collect the awards and accolades information for the '09/'10 players, I inevitably comes across some of the top 2011 players as well. If I do, I add them to the list. However, I am not actively looking to add players to that list.

6. qutjs1

qutjs1 New Member

May 22, 2008
    Help...my daughter is a junior and plays on one of the top 20 nationally ranked teams.She has recived e-mails and literature from many colleges D-1to d33.Several have hand written notes from the coach asking her to come to their camp.The coach lists his name and the names of assistants along with cell phone numbers etc.They say they sincerely want her to come to their camp.These coaches have watched her at showcase tournaments and ODP in some cases several times .

How do you know or how to determine which have a real interest and those perhaps just wanting to increase camp attendance.

The one we got with handwritten note ,coaches and assistants names and cell #s sincere interest etc....Do you think they are really interested or is this a typical tactic to attract attendees?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

7. LakeLover

LakeLover Member

Aug 11, 2003

I'd suggest you have her go through the letters and pull out the ones whose colleges she's most interested in; set the others aside. Then have her look at the colleges online to learn more about their academic and athletic programs. Select the top five or so, perhaps, to start with, and have her call the coaches directly. Have her ask the coaches predetermined questions about the camp, the soccer program, etc. You or she can ask the coach, up front, if they are still actively recruiting 2009 players. If not, you have your answer right there!

It's tough to attend several camps, so if one coach expresses more interest during your call than any others consider attending that school's camp and see if you can set up one day or overnight visits to the others.

Oh -- and don't forget to take notes!

8. Tmoto

Tmoto New Member

Oct 17, 2004
    I would agree with LakeLover who suggested trying to reduce the number based upon your daughter's interest in those schools (based upon academics, geography, etc.) and the other questions.

One of the biggest loopholes in recruiting is the communication between club coaches/DOCs and the college coaches. Since I didn't hear you mention any of this, I'm going to assume that you aren't aware of any of these types of conversations. I would have your daughter talk to her coach and DOC just in case -- in some cases, these guys know the coaches and they can help (mind you help, not do your recruiting for you) in determining the level of interest.

Your daughter should then begin calling those coaches of schools she has interest in. If she doesn't get them on the first call, she should be prepared to leave an informative message along with when she will try again. If she does reach them, she has to ask them question(s) surrounding: 1) How far along they are in their recruiting, and 2) Where does she stand. Honestly, if these types of questions are not asked, you will be speculating at best.

Good luck!

9. Smashfoot

Smashfoot New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Who cares who is writing notes? WHERE DOES THE KID WANT TO GO?????

Pursue that school or schools. If that doesn't produce anything, or if the kid (even with your help) doesn't know what school is the right one, then you can respond to some of the notes if you are receiving notes from schools that fit the kid's criteria. Talk to coach or DOC about where they think kid would fit in, and what coaches/programs would be good for kid.

How to respond?

CALL THEM ON THE PHONE!!!!! TRY TO ASCERTAIN JUST HOW INTERESTED THEY REALLY ARE IN THE KID!!!!!! IMHO an adult needs to do this, even though they want to talk to the kid. Kid typically won't be able to get all info necessary to make an informed decision. If kid goes to their camp they can talk to kid all day long. Somebody has to decide what is worth pursuing before $$$ are expended. BUT CALL THEM!!!!! KEEP CALLING UNTIL THEY ANSWER!!!!

10. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    I think this is a bit short sighted and not just from a soccer standpoint. Sometimes a school you didn't know much about happens to send you something, you do some research and find out the school might be a good fit. What if the kid ends up wanting to go there and had the coach not sent something you never would have known about it. My older daughter is not a soccer player but a school shot into her top three after getting a letter from their design program with information about their programs.

I take your point in that if a school writes in which she has no interest other than soccer it really should be off the list but if a school writes that is not on her list but ends up being a strong contender I'm assuming that's a different story for you.

11. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Tennessee will be a team to look out for in the next few years, they are getting some stellar commitments.

12. 1234SOCCER

1234SOCCER New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Try this site http://girlssoccerrecruiting.com/

13. soccermom0109

soccermom0109 New Member

Jun 11, 2006

What has happened to Caroline Miller, lately? I don't see her on the roster for the most recent U-17WNT games. Hoping she isn't hurt. She was a staple on that list for a long time.

14. LakeLover

LakeLover Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Not hurt apparently, because she played as late at June 29th in the Region 1 tournament.

Looking at the lists, several "staples" haven't been invited for a while. Can't imagine, though, that this totally negates their chances of staying in the mix. Guess it all depends on how they continue to perform, improve, etc.

15. darntaz

darntaz New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    There are several players who were staples on the team and pool who have not been playing lately. The number 1 recruit according to Topdrawer soccer is also not playing recently. You mixed this age group and the next younger last year when they changed the age groups. You also have more players from the region the coaches are from. I have tracked this for 6-7 years and it is pretty consistent stat. At the recent national championships Texas did a great job in almost all age groups but they are tremendously under represented as well as all of region 3 and 4. With a change of coaches you will get a change in the mix of players. That is one problem with a coach keeping a team for more than 1 year.

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    There are multiple reasons a recruit isn't on a team over time, sometimes having nothing to do with talent. One top player, possibly the one you refer to, had mono. I think she's better now. aging out of groups is the most common reason, and one that often gets missed.

17. ZSoccer

ZSoccer New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    A lot of players should be committing in August just before the start of their season.

18. psusoccerfan

psusoccerfan Member

Jan 31, 2008
    PSU announces three new recruits, 2 from England.

http://gopsusports.cstv.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/073008aaa.html

I wasn't for recruiting foriegn students into mainline Olympic programs, but I guess that is what you need to do against the North Carolinas that stockpile US talent. The Canadian National Soccer team has played the US tough thanks to US college trained athletes, including Erin McLeod the goalie for PSU in their loss to Portland on a shootout and Sinclair.

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Don't think UNC didn't try for Sinclair.

But that should be pretty interesting in the future. The NCAA is considering allowing Canadian and even Mexican schools to compete in D1 in not too many years. It could be that in a few years there will be traffic both ways across borders.

NAFTA isn't just for oil and produce....

20. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Canadian schools can already apply for DII status. It's a pilot program that starts this year. Eventually you may see some getting DI status but I doubt it will be in the very near future, at least until the NCAA can look at some of the results from this new initiative.

21. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    Lissonbe has decided to go to BYU.

22. South American

Aug 3, 2008

You are right on ,Kealia Ohai is playing two years up on her club team and is the most dominating player I have ever seen at that age. Never seen a faster player... North Carolina, Portland UCLA and USC are in a war trying to get her.

23. abrown

abrown New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Alexandra Brown class 2010 San Juan Spirits

24. ZSoccer

ZSoccer New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    She is the top forward in this class by a pretty good margin I'm hearing. One school will be very lucky.

25. abrown

abrown New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Alexandra Brown 2010 San Juan Spirits Forward.