Clasificatorias a Rusia 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Chile: Selecciones Nacionales' started by HeartandSoul, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    Empezamos a depender de otros resultados. Asi de simple.

2. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    No solo eso.
    Muchísimo más importante es empezar a sumar algunos, nosotros.

3. chewie4917

chewie4917 Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Basically, you've identified two of the major underlying problems.

After the game, I said that many of these guys need to come back down to earth.

Months ago, I mentioned the core. When many of the leaders go missing (which seems to be happening a lot), the team falls apart.

I also think that some of these players are past their prime. Look at the left full-back position. Beausejour is finished. So, we have Mena, who is playing some of the worst football of his career. Who comes in? Who goes out?

Lastly, I agree with you that the 5th spot will be fought primarily between Ecuador and Chile.

Ecuador has already picked up points in games that Chile has lost. They also beat Argentina away. However, Ecuador lost to Peru away and Brazil at home. Chile won both of these matches.

It will be tight.

We need to remember that teams go through bad form. This isn't just Chile.

In rounds 1, 2 and 3, Argentina picked up 2 points in games that should have been won (Ecuador at home, a developing Paraguay away, and a struggling Brazil at home). They also only scored 1 goal in those 3 matches.

Most importantly, our direct rival (Ecuador) also went through this in rounds 5, 6, 7 and 8, where they picked up 1 point (a draw at home against Paraguay). That's 1 point out of 4 consecutive matches.

We need to pick up wins in at least 5 out of our last 9 games, get the calculator out, and wait and see.

4. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    Sino le ganamos a Peru este martes, olvidemonos del mundial mejor. AL menos podriamos focalizarnos en la copa de las confederaciones en ese caso

5. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    A mi no me gusta la seleccion Chilena para nada, pero si no clasifican, estos Mexicanos van a encontrar una excusa bien tonta para decir que Mexico es mejor que Chile.

Si Mexico es mejor que el bicampeon de America y mejor que el equipo que los goleo 7-0 :rolleyes:

6. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Mexico should be quiet regardless. They are the least of our concerns.

7. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    That would return a small glimmer of hope. As it stands, I see us out of the World Cup, even beating Peru will not suffice. Which is a shame because I genuinely think this team had enough in their tank for one last push...

I guess I underestimated the mental aspect of it all.

8. chewie4917

chewie4917 Member

Sep 10, 2011
    I have nothing against Peru (I've said this countless times). The next match is a matter of survival; three points, and nothing personal.

Uruguay, Brazil, Argentina and Colombia will lock the first 4 places. The fifth will be open and fought between Ecuador and Chile. If Chile remains within 3-4 points in the next few rounds, it will be close.

9. chewie4917

chewie4917 Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Reading this, all I can think of is Vidal getting 'bi-campeon de America' on the side of his head before the Paraguay match, and thinking, "Why?"

10. SIN DIOS NI LEY

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Vidal singlehandedly filled the Defensores del Chaco when the expected attendance was 15.000 at best and turned a match without history nor hatred into a classic with his statements. Was there a need for that Vidal?

11. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    Playing the way Chile is playing now, there is no ********ing way we would make it. We must winn all our home games and win away against Bolivia and Colombia.

posteador repped this.
  12. JamieFox

JamieFox Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Well, the interesting result was Paraguay 0-1 Colombia. Paraguay could not afford that result. I think they won't qualify now.

Perhaps a bad result for Chile, because Colombia they still have to play away and Colombia have gone 5 points clear of Chile.

It's no longer clear which is the team Chile are trying to catch. For the time being just need to maximise their own results and not worry about other teams.

13. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Forget about catching anyone. Chile has to find it's game first, then worry about who to catch. The match against Ecuador wasn't just a bad match, it was a capitulation.

14. johansome

johansome Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Toronto
    Well, the way that they've been playing I wouldn't be surprised if Chile were to loose against Peru. Up to date Pizzi has been a disaster in these qualifiers.. he's taken a highly competitive team and slowly turned it into a bunch of guys playing pichanga no tactics at all. Much like Borghi did after Bielsa... now I wonder, how many more games does Chile have to loose for this guy to resign? We all know that Salah isnt going to do anything, instead he is going to sit back and wait.

toepunt repped this.
  15. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Worse game by far in the Pizzi era. Not the whole excuse but altitude did contribute. If Peru beats us then we have slim chances.

16. chewie4917

chewie4917 Member

Sep 10, 2011
    That’s all fine, but actions speak louder than words. If he – or any player, for that matter – is going to take that approach, he needs to back it up with action. And it needs to be shown and carried onto other games. Our midfield was s*** against Ecuador. They just got bullied, and it was largely a factor in the loss. The weakened defence needed support from these guys, and it got none. The team has to eat those words now.

17. chewie4917

chewie4917 Member

Sep 10, 2011
    If we can't beat Peru, then Pizzi should resign. It would be an indicator that the team has stopped functioning under the guy, over two double-rounds, which would be justifiable.

We are in bad form, but with some defensive discipline and efficiency forward, Chile should take this. Work hard, close the lines, and give the forwards some space to attack.

18. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #118 Rickdog, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Why should he do, that ?
    When he signed he never promised anything. In fact he already had a job at Mexico, which he had to resign before accepting this job offer in Chile.

If you want someone to guilt and resign for this failure, that should be Arturo Salah, whom hired Pizzi, mostly because he didn't want to pay even half the wage a top coach, usually asks for.

What really killed our team in Ecuador, was altitude and climate.
    No one wants to recognize it, as it sounds as a very lousy excuse, but you only have to watch our players evolve during that game, where it was obvious that running was something they weren't capable of doing in that match. The other issue that was obvious, is that our players had no control of the ball, and that happens due to the density of the air at high altitude, where the ball rebounds higher than how it rebounds at sea level. For playing at altitude, players should avoid trying to dominate it (which is preciselly what our players did, which meant them losing the ball very often), and when you get the ball players must get rid of it right away (passing it or shooting it, no matter where you are, whis is also what our players did not do). Also look how the players of Ecuador dominate it, they kick the ball far away from them, and basicly run behind it (they really don't attempt to dribble with it, as how Alexis did during the whole match), and once relatively close to the opposite goal zone, they shoot it as hard as they can, aiming directly where the keeper is, as most of the time, if he even attempts to grab it, it will bounce out of his hands, creating a new chance to score with it.

Unfortunately, preparing themselves at Guayaquil (high temperatures, dry weather, high level of oxigen) the days prior to the match, and traveling to Quito the same day as the match (average to cold temperstures, high humidity or very rainy, very low level of oxigen), where both cities although relatively close one to the other, from a climate and geographical point of view, are in fact, each other as diferent as night from day.

With all of this in mind, this was very poor planification for the match, by both, our Federation and their staff (for past qualifiers, we always planified it better, even with the usage of hyperbaric chambers at home) . It would've been preferable that they come to Santiago, the days prior to the match, if they were to travel to Quito the same day of the match. And if they had more days, of about 2 weeks prior to the match to adapt for playing at altitude(which could've been done with players playing in Chile), they could've trained with a small group in Calama, which is about 500 m. lower than Quito. The other possibility is go directly to Quito with 3-4 days in advance, and restrict themselves to do very light and soft training, (doing this, will still have many players feel a headache during and after the match, but at least they would have had time to know how the ball performs at altitude, which helps to dominate it better and after you plan the match, avoiding your players to be running most of the time.
    Brazil, for instance always had done before, what Chile did now, and they always got bad results playing there. For this time (first time ever), Tite decided to go for the second alternative (travel directly to Quito 3 days in advance), and as never before, well you know their result.

With all of this things in mind, we could've lost anyway as Ecuador playing home in Quito, are monsters. But at least, we could've had a more decent presentation, than the one we actually did.
    I only hope, Pizzi and our federation , learned something from all of this when we play against Bolivia again, as this time it will be at La Paz, where even the players from Ecuador have altitude problems playing, which happens to be at almost 3.600 m. above sea level (that's almost 800 m. higher than Quito)

Primitive Ways repped this.
  19. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    At last, I must say that after seeing how our team played in Quito, we really got a pretty good result.

We got out of it, very cheap, as it could've perfectly finished by 0-10, and that's without exagerating anything.

20. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I agree, if we lose vs Peru at home he should resign. Let´s hope it doesn´t get to that.

21. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    He would be very foolish to do so, as by doing that, he not only would leave our NT, without guidance, but he would also have to pay a very big amount of money, for not finishing his contract.

For the issue, if we really want him sacked, it is our FA's obligation to pay him out, first.

But, keep in mind, that if it already was very dificult to hire a decent coach, when Sampaoli decided to quit, when Chile was still among the top teams of these qualifiers, at present times when we are very close to the abism, no one will really want to take over the job.
    Maybe we can get Vaccia, as he seems to always be "available", and he doesn't care if we finish last (I heard that Becaccece, is also available). :p

22. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The payment is seldom negotiated. Doesn´t necessarily mean payment involved. Now, I will agree with Rickdog on the following; IF there is no better alternative, then he should stay.

23. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    3 years ago I travelled to Quito, first day I was fine, next day, it was awful. I don't know if any of you guys saw Ecuador - Brasil game, it was like Brasil was playing at home while it seemed like any of our guys had never played in the altitude before.

24. Ezto

Ezto Member

Jun 27, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #124 Ezto, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    These are dark times. If we had any other team I would be more weary about a comeback, but we have a world class team. Two copas back to back, 2 world cups, 4 coaches, yet in the end it was our players who made the difference. Now is the time to show what these boys are made of. In the run up to copa centenario they went through the similar issues, but they showed huevos and carried through. Next game I really want to see Valdivia on the field. Heck, I wanted to see him in the game vs Paraguay! This team is all we got for a long time, and they must go out guns blazing. We cannot seek recambio right now because there is none. Look at our youth teams, national league, young players abroad... there isn't much. Generacion de oro, please keep surprising us! Fight for the world cup till the last game and give us the Confederaciones!
    These are the wishes of a die hard fan.

Aqui les dejo este videito para que se acuerden del mago.

P.S. Me acorde de cuando perdimos con Peru con Sampaoli, Nos alejabamos del mundial, y ningun jugador Chileno hacia goles. Pedi y pedi por Paredes vs Uruguay. Viejo y todo jugo, metio, y ganamos. Algo similar buscamos aqui.

25. Ezto

Ezto Member

Jun 27, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #125 Ezto, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    Bravo
    Isla, Rocco, Jarita(Gary Q.Q), Beau