Clash of the Titans: A.Karimi v C.Ronaldo

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Ale Nesta, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Portugallia

Portugallia BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 9, 2005
    But there are millions of Portuguese in the USA.

We were once the proud owners of both North and South America till those greedy Espanholitos spoiled everything and let the masses in.

It might interest you to know once upon a time we Portuguese even owned a bit of modern day Iran :D .

2. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    i'm mexican american you dumb git, can you see my profile below my name? and the picture of mexico holding the u-17 WC trophy?

3. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    better than our best player? tell me who is our best player? and dont tell me borgetti cause you'll show your ignorance.

4. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Easy, Potter people got confused because you have a line that says, "I'm Portuguese" that's why people are asking questions.

Karimi is sick, I've been waiting for him to play Portugal for some time. Ronaldo on a bad day can be a waste so will see what we get in 6 months.

5. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    buddy, you said you were Portuguese...lol

6. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    oh sh1t i didn't see that i mean, " I'm not portuguesse"

in other words i'm mexican american and still think ronaldo is the better player of the group, perhaps blanco will follow.

7. dooodoool

dooodoool New Member

Nov 30, 2005

actually you re wrong about iran...maybe the persian empire had a bit of portugal but not the way around :D

8. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    I remember seeing that picture, it's from a Japanese papaer.
    does anyone have another karimi pic in Dublin where the defender is kneeling on one knee and watching Karimi pass him by! Excellent photography if one can post it.

9. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Doesnt even matter. We eventually got occupied by Muslims for approximately 700 years

10. dooodoool

dooodoool New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    [​IMG]

heres the pic

11. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Iranian moslems were not involved with any of that as mass. The Persian poets, architects, master masoners, master craftsmen, doctors, thinkers, advisors to the cliphites [not all by choice] served the caliphite, but Iranian mass never participated in those wars. I have never looked into Portugal much but am pretty sure that the so called "Islamic Architecture" in really an "Islamized" Persian architecture. The area that got changed greatly was the disappearance of "characters" and the new era of geometry as a form of art plus caliography.

12. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    thanx for the pic.

I get a kick out of that every time I see it. notice how much grass is misplaced exactly where the defender planted his feet (in fact both of them). that says a lot about the defender's confidence in his last move meaning he thought he had the ball intercepted, shows how silky & slippery Karimi can be! :D

13. Daniel_Alves

Daniel_Alves New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Porto, Portugal
    The persian civilization was way far from Portugal but their history is indeed rich and interesting.

The portuguese (lead by Infante Henrique) occupied the north african coast in 1415 (at this time Persia was living a very dark age, suffering the effects of the devastation that Tumur left on the empire) which lands currently belong to Morocco. We stayed there until 1661.
    Anyway, during our time there here's a curious story for you to read.
    Here's the story in detail:

"Background

D. Sebastian, known in Portugal as the Desired, was the son of the Infante John, son of John III of Portugal, and Joanna, daughter of the Emperor Charles V. His father died before he was born, and he became King at the age of three after the death of his grandfather in 1557. He was educated almost entirely by Jesuits and by his guardian, Catherine of Austria, sister of Charles V. Under these influences his youthful idealism soon mutated into religious fanaticism. In order to distinguish himself from other monarchs he assumed the title of "Most Obedient King", signifying his obedience to the Catholic Church. This obedience was equalled by his hatred for all schismatics and unbelievers, and while still a teenager he convinced himself he was to be Christ's captain in a new crusade against the Moors in North Africa. Up to that time Portuguese military action in Africa had been confined to small expeditions and raids; Portugal had built its vast maritime empire from Brazil to the East Indies by a combination of trade, sea exploration and technological superiority, with Christian conversion of subject peoples being one, but by no means the only, end in view. Sebastian proposed to change this strategy entirely. In 1574 he led a raid to Tangier, whose success encouraged him to grander designs against the Saalian rulers of Morocco. He offered his support to Mulay Mohammed, who was engaged in a civil war to wrest the throne of Morocco from his uncle, the Emir Abd El-Malik. Despite the admonitions of his mother and his uncle Philip II of Spain, and despite Abd El-Malik's offers to treat and even to cede him part of the coast of Morocco, Sebastian used much of Portugal's imperial wealth to equip a large fleet and gather an army including mercenaries from Spain, England and Germany, as well as 2,000 Italians initially recruited to aid an insurrection in Ireland. It is said that his expeditionary force numbered 500 ships, and his army in total numbered about 23,000 men, including the flower of the Portuguese nobility.

The Campaign

After haranguing his troops from the windows of the church of Santa Maria in Lagos, Sebastian departed that port in his armada on 24 June 1578. He landed at Arzila, where Mulay Mohammed joined him with some additional forces, and marched into the interior. The Emir, who was gravely ill, had meanwhile collected a large army – sources put it at 100,000 men – and the two armies approached each other near Alcazarquivir, camping on opposite sides of a river. Athough he had obvious superiority in numbers the Emir again attempted to negotiate a peace, but without success. Sebastian's army was low on provisions and in a poor tactical position as the Moors had occupied all the surrounding high ground, but he could not be persuaded to temporize or withdraw, even by Mulay Mohammed.

The Battle

On 4 August the Portuguese troops were drawn up in battle array, and Sebastian rode round encouraging the ranks. But the Moors advanced on a broad front and encircled his army. The Emir had 10,000 cavalry on the wings, and in the centre he had placed Moors who had been driven out of Spain and thus bore a special grudge against Christians. Despite his illness the Emir left his litter and led his forces on horseback. The ensuing battle ended in the total defeat of the Portuguese, with 8,000 dead, including the slaughter of almost the whole of the country’s nobility, and 15,000 taken prisoner; perhaps 100 survivors escaped to the coast. The body of Sebastian, who had led a charge into the midst of the enemy and was then cut off, was never found. The Emir Abd El-Malik also died during the battle, but from natural causes (the effort of riding was too much for him), and the news was concealed from his troops until total victory had been secured. Mulay Mohammed attempted to flee but was drowned in the river. For this reason the battle was known in Morocco as the Battle of the Three Rulers."

Tangier was still controlled by the hands of the portuguese until Catarina of Bragança, daughter of D. João IV, married with king Charles II of England. The wedding gifts for english kingdom were the cities of Tangier and Bombay (India). Ceuta later was claimed by the Vatican and given to the spanish. Then the portuguese population living there returned to the motherland and it marked the end of the expedition.
    It was the most stupid cruzade ever. We lost thousands of men and money.
    At the end it was more a question of christian pride and arrogance then anything else. Fortunately we had discovered Brazil, south and center Africa and India so we got our minds on more important issues than annoying the muslims. And "annoying" is the perfect word since fighting on their soil against an army extremely superior was of nuts. Sebastian should had be put in an asylum together with all the wackos that initiated the campaign.
    The only victories we can still brag against the muslims was expelling them out of Portugal with very low on numbers.

14. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    thanx for the info.

during that period Iran was devistated till around 1498 when the Safavid Dynasty started building a new regional power again, but my point was that Iranians have never participated as a mass in Islamic "endeavors" but our wise men were forced to help run the Islamic calaphites. Iranians in general, don't have a very positive view of some of the Islamic powers such as the Othoman which we fought hard. again, it's important to remember that Iran is a Shiea moslem, and always suffered at the hand of those Sunni powers.

15. Daniel_Alves

Daniel_Alves New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Porto, Portugal
    You welcome.
    In case you're interested, I started a new topic on Fifa World Cup 2006 called Interesting Facts of History. You could share an historical event of persian history there. It would be great.

I know Tumur because if i'm not mistaken he ordered to kill 70 thousand people to build a palace with their own skulls. But yes i'm aware of ancient powers and civilizations in the Middle-East and how the persian empire was more known for their arts than participation in wars. It was always a civilization that intrigued me.

16. AsanoAram

AsanoAram Member

Apr 14, 2005
    To the Portugese fans, I wanted to know what their perception of the period of time in Portugal in which Islam had a role was?
    Do they think of it as just a negative thing or do they see some positives? What about the various influences on architecture, language...

17. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    The muslim rule was concentrated in the southern half of the country. If you look at the map, Portugal has maintained its territorial integrity from nearly its independence in 1143 from Leon ( now a province/region in Spain) in the northern half and by military expansion to the South.
    What is left is the names of localities ,such as Algarve, Alcacer do Sal, Albufeira,Alcantara,Almorim, etc. Some tid bits of language was kept in the Iberian Latin,song styles like Fado, and most of all ,the agricultural technologies were kept.

18. Daniel_Alves

Daniel_Alves New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Porto, Portugal
    Ok, the thread "Interesting Facts of History" was moved to the topic "World Cup: Fans and Travel". Anyone is welcome to go there.

19. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    Karimi scored today for Bayern! nice driblle and nice goal!

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Alot more then Ronaldo did

21. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    are u being sarcastic?

22. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nah....you didnt see todays Manchester United game? He came on around the 60th minute and didnt really provide to much except for some speed and some pedaladas.

23. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005