Clarke to Coach All-Stars

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by balthrop, Jul 5, 2005.

1. balthrop

balthrop Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Plano, Texas
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to New England and L.A. playing to a draw tonight, Collin Clarke will coach the MLS All-Star team against Fullam at the end of the month. Dallas has the best record in the league at the end of this weekend's play.

2. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    you beat me by a minute :) you might want to change the thread title though, for anyone who taped the NE game and didnt want to know the result

3. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Clarke - he's certainly well deserving. (Besides, I'd rather have Nicol focusing on improving the Revs' B players than thinking about Fulham....)

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Great, now he can get ROB on the squad and not play him. Perfect!

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I got a good laugh out of this being used as a reason Nicol and Mariner weren't selected :rolleyes: .

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that he was making a stylistic judgment.

Your draw with LA only meant that Dallas had the most points as of July 4, which determines the All-Star coach. If you had won, Nicol would've been coaching the All-Stars.

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    This may be the case, but it hardly seems a fool-proof system considering you've played one more game than New England.

Not really complaining though, as Clarke and Co. are certainly deserving.

8. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Completely agree.....and hopefully MLS will alter the rule to reflect that.

9. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree on that one too. However in order to do that, all MLS clubs must play an equal number of games on week to week basis. But some clubs do not own the stadium they are playing in and have to deal with schedule conflicts with MLB and the NFL later on in autumn. Which is why MLS is pushing for SSS to gain more financial power in dealing with daily operations in the league. Plus I find it very silly that Chitago is leading in the East, but has played 4 more games than New England does. Let hope all MLS clubs will have SSS in the future.

10. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    You can do PPG rather then total points. Or......just sh1tcan the entire damn all star game....I'd be fine with that too.

11. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do the coaches get a bonus of some sort to coach the All-Star game?

If so, then I agree with you -- they should fix the system.

But if, as I suspect, coaching the All-Star game is just an honor with no bonus, then who the hell cares who coaches the All-Star game?

12. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Some people give a crap about "honors". If it doesn't matter then why don't they just make it a random choice? Or get a "celebrity" coach. I'm sure its a source of pride amongst the coaches.

13. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire this clown now, he's a ********ing moron.

14. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was really hoping that Chicago would send thier coaches because then the MLS would have to see how rediculous it is to give the honor of coaching the all star team to the coach who was lucky to simply play the most matches.

Points Per Game would be a vaild way of deciding it. But then you can complain that some teams play more away matches then others. So I think they should take only the first 15 (the lowest # of games played by one team) results of each team. Or if you really wnat to get down and dirty maybe you could take the first 7 roadrults + the first 7 home results (of course those #s can change year to year). This just makes it so that teams like Chicago really would have not had such a unfair advantage.

RRRREV IT UP

15. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just give him a chance...he has to learn somewhere
    ;)

16. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I say if we lost to Fulham then he should be canned!

17. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya - Fulham's full of $#!te. Hell, we should can him just for being willing to play such a weak side!

18. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    In a completely unrelated note: I was watching J-League highlights on Football Asia last night, and I think an MLS All-Star team would lose to FC Tokyo (or any of the top teams in J1) in an exhibition match. Maybe it's just me or the nature of highlights, but they seem to have a much higher degree of skill than we do. I think US players are showing more improvement tactically than in technical skills.

Or I'm completely off my rocker.

19. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sure would be interesting. Keep in mind that they have imported more foreigners with higher price tags, so team for team, they probably have a higher salary and probably skill level.

But the best of MLS? They'd kill any one team from the J-League.

20. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    FC Dallas would slaughter the bottom half of J-League 1 IMO and beat the rest.

Top 2 however, would be a challenge!

21. txaggie93

txaggie93 New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Just an idle thought....FCD plays Metro on Wednesday. All-Star game is on Saturday. Will the All-Stars only practice two days? Is that usual, or do they usually go for 3-4 days? I can't recall, and was just wondering how it would all get done.

22. Armis36

Armis36 Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Garland, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just realized that FCD is playing the Metrostars back to back.

Wednesday July 27th Metrostars
    Monday July 30th All-Star game
    Saturday August 6th Metrostars

Seems strange. Does that work in our favor or against us?

23. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like this...." I'm open, I'm open, ball, ball, ball, send it, send it, cross, cross, cross, [CC] *yawn*[CC] here, here.... pass back, pass back..."

-Oh chit man ! You should have let me shoot....
    -but man you already have two goals....
    -so ???

It's like the biggest gaggle or all rec. league matches !

24. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Except.......this is Fulham, who have shown a propensity to take on American players. Several MLS all stars will be viewing this as a "trial" of sorts.

25. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will not make a difference... Fullham has access to any and all videos of the regular season. You point is duly noted and makes good sense, but MLS All Star Extravaganza is not a massive Job fair for euro clubs... that are about to enter their season and would like to have some players that are in mid-season form......... Or is it? :eek: