Claret and Cobalt?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by yellowbismark, Jul 18, 2009.

1. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Exactly.

anything else = contrived

2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I personally like just calling the team RSL, which is how I refer to them all the time.

I don't think that initials should count as a nickname.

I do look forward to the day RSL has a nickname that has been earned and not one like Royals, Lakers etc. that is just given and not earned and would be contrived.

It will happen, I just don't want a name like that foisted upon RSL when the fans should be the ones to decide what we call RSL.

Everton being called the Toffees for whatever reason is very cool and came about however organically.

Is there a latin word for last place?

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    time to bring back the highlanders?

4. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I use RSL to refer to the team all the time, I think it is better thought of as shorthand and not a nickname.

Something will emerge.

For instance, while I've preferred to call the stadium the Rio-T, I've seen others call it the Mine Field and I think that is pretty cool. However, I don't know where it comes from.

One thing for sure: Almost any nickname that comes from the FO will be rejected by the supporters groups in the same way that any nickname a parent gives their child is rejected by the teen years. Teens want to exert their independence and reject things applied from an authority figure. Supporters groups also want to exert their independence and reject a name applied from the authority figure (FO).

But, they also tend to reject that given by other supporters groups just as one teen clique will tend to reject things from other cliques. More than likely someone in the press will latch onto a catchy name that all the supporters groups like and that will be the one that catches on.

If you look into the old history of college football, many team nicknames came from newspaper descriptions. For instance, Georgia Tech supporters often wore gold or yellow jackets to games. An early reference to those fans as "Yellowjackets" can be found in a 1905 Atlanta Constitution story about an athletic event. That name caught on quickly and some years later the use of the insect as mascot appeared. Sport writers were also referring to the team as the "Blacksmiths" in the 190x years, but the name never caught on among the fans.

This kind of thing is hard to create, tends to emerge from surprising sources...Suppose we start pushing to be called the Donors, because of our pushing to increase donor registration in support of the Williams family?

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wait wait wait, i got it....

THE REAL ;)

6. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    take your pick: aegroto, desum, fefello

7. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Great! "What kind of fella's are we?"

Fefello's!

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how about spanish, since we are real and all...

9. Last place = Último lugar