Clarence Goodson

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Sanguine, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Not trying to be a nuissance on your boards, but I was just curious about Dallas fans opinions on Clarence Goodson's performance this year. I must confess I haven't been able to watch many FCD matches thus far, and I'm just curious how the local (to me - he went to high school with my nephew) boy is doing down there. I see he's started all 16 games and notched an assist, but stats don't tell much of a story with defenders.

2. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    He yells at the opposition when they fall down. And he kicked Landy.

I'd say that makes him something of a cult hero. :D

3. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're quite happy with his gumption. He plays smart, tough and is pretty skilled.

4. doctor_j

doctor_j New Member

Aug 3, 2004
    reppin' ETex
    Solid defender and a really nice guy.

Having a great season here now that he's in a starting role.

Almost scored off corners in quite a few games, so he's about due for a goal.

5. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    absolutely nothing bad to say about clarence, if he keeps playing this solid il bruce might need to give him a look in a year or two

6. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmmmm - the potential might be there, but that is a pretty aggressive projection (imo... I guess I've just seen too many like Clarence - great in MLS, but not able to make that jump)

7. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    oh definately a good point, but im just saying he might be worth a shot down the road if he keeps up what hes doing now.

8. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well since Ryan Suarez got a shot, I don't see why he can't...

9. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    His cool nerd vibe is not being marketed to the extent it could be...

10. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Thanks guys. glad to hear he's doing well.

11. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    We will not hold that against you. Nobody has been able to watch many FCD matches this year. The last four games have not been on TV anywhere. The season count is six (more than a third of the games played so far).

Goodson has been a rock this season. He looks like he has been doing this for Dallas for 10 years.

12. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    The more he stands over someones crumpled body and talks sh1t, the more I like him.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Now THAT'S comedy! Good stuff.

I think Goodson totally has a chance with the nats in the post-Germany era.

He's a legit 6-4, smart, faster than he looks, has decent feet from his days as a forward - started his Maryland career up top - and has a nice nasty streak but still plays in control, which you need at that level.

He's also still getting better. Remember, he's only been a defender since August of 2002, when he was abruptly switched to center back on a whim by Terps coach Sasho Cirovski. (Goodson ought to name his first kid Sasho since that move by Cirovski changed him from also-ran college forward to first round draft pick!) And, of course, he's only in his secod pro season and first playing regularly. So, he's playing this well with limited experience both at the pro level and at his position. Wait till he actually figures out how to play CB. And, he'll still be 6-4!

Having said that, it ain't gonna be easy for him with the nats because of the competition. Bocanegra is all of 26, Gibbs 25, Onyewu 23 - the same as Clarence - and Marshall is 21. All those guys are ahead of him in terms of international experience - he has none, not even at the baby nats - so there will be stiff compeition at the CB in the 2010 slot.

But c'mon. Ritchie Kotschau and Mike Petke have been capped at CB for the nats. So has CJ Brown. If those guys can get chances, then a guy like Goodson can. What he does once he gets the chances is up to him, not to mention the whim and preference of the coach.

But I certainly feel like he's playing well enough to think he'll be capped in the future. And all the cool nerds will rejoice!

14. Zé Bill

Zé Bill Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Pretty good situation---to be a 1st-round pick, 1st string professional soccer player---with a license to eat!

(he weighs 5 lbs. less than 5' 9" Carlos Ruiz)

btw ditto the above: He's outrun several opponents I would have bet were faster.

and one game he was heading away crosses one after the other.

iirc, he goes by "Clay"

.......God bless Londoners.......

15. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYE (for your enjoyment)

At the luncheon today I had a chance to chat with Clay (yes ze bill that is what he goes by) and told him about how much we enjoy the "Clarence Chastises a Flopping Forward Moment" in each game.

I'm setting the over-under for the next MLS game ( @ NE) at 42 minutes for the CChaFF moment of the game.

So what do you say? Over or Under?

16. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO....our best defender this year...last year...the year before....

and will see a callup within 2 years if he stays on his current form/pace, and a factor post-Germany with Bocanegra, Gibbs, Onyewu, Spector, & Marshall.