CL Round of 16: Sevilla vs. BVB

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by podrinje, Feb 16, 2021.

1. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Watching this Barca v. PSG game is making me think that this Barca team is exactly how we will look against Sevilla, a team who is in great form and has not conceded in their last 7 games.

2. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    This is going to be a particularly humiliating ousting because it will be vs a Spanish club of all things.

3. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is going to be even more humiliating because Sevilla earn almost half of what we make in a year. Pound for pound we have a more talended quad in Haaland, Sancho, Gurreiro, Hummels etc.

The only stroke of luck we have is that we will not be playing in the Sevilla Cup which is really what we will be playing for next year....if we are lucky.

4. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope Morey or Meunier start at RB freeing Can up to play with Delaney in DM, the defence needs protection. Gonna need to keep it tight and hope Haaland/Sancho produce something.

5. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Bürki
    Morey Akanji Hummels Guerreiro
    Bellingham Can Dahoud
    Sancho Haaland Reus

Could also be a 3 man defense with Can again. If that's the case, then it's a very ambitious/risky midfield selection.

6. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    HItz in goal, not Bürki, of course.
    Sevilla takes the lead.

7. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Dahoud and Haaland make it 2:1 for us.

BVBFNM repped this.
  8. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    very end to end stuff. exciting but you get the feelingwe will conceed again

9. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Haaland looks good

10. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Haaland 3:1. Not the disaster some understandably expected so far. Sevilla is strong with the ball, of course and can always find ways to be dangerous. It would be great to keep this 2 goal cushion for the return game.

11. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    What a little bit of confidence can do to a team. I'm mostly impressed with the show of some mentality after going down. Instead of sulking they brushed it off and played with courage. Sevilla will have to open up more in the second which should allow us to get out on breaks.

Good sign is that all four of Sancho, Haaland, Reus, and Dahoud are in good form this game.

12. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    we are playing too passively, we need at least one more AGG goal

kbvb repped this.
  13. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'll be pleasantly surprised if we don't end up blundering the return leg. Sevilla had an off day. You can tell that they have a tight defence and know how to close gaps.

14. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Sevilla pulled back one goal but we still managed to hold on to the win, our first one in 24 years on Spanish soil. Delightful!

15. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    We played the formation everyone has been calling out for and we played much better.

We need to be playing a 4-3-3 every match.

Bellingham needs to be dropped. I don't know what he has in his contract, but he needs to be dropped.

Dahoud must play every game.

Haaland was great and Sancho had a great game. Reus had one of his best games for a while.

On Saturday for the Derby we need th same team, but switch Bellingham for Brandt or even Reyna.

16. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    wtf was can thinkin/doin on 2nd goal is puzzling

17. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    The last 20 minutes weren't so good by us but 3 away goals is a good result. The advantage isn't too high so the team shouldn't be too careless but Sevilla needs at least 2 goals now. In the second half, we didn't do enough when we had possession. The team was more interested in minimizing risks instead of deciding the tie today and the result was the exact opposite because we lost the control.

astrophyz repped this.
  18. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Great to see you back. Its been a while.

If we play a smart team we can win. The key is to play a 4-3-3.

Hopefully we can get some confidence with a few wins.

19. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Yes I was screaming for Terzic to make the right decisions.

Bring on Moukoko for a tiring Reus and then take off Bellingham for Brandt/Reyna.

Still it's a good result and we will have to lose by 2 clear goals or 4-3 to go out. We should be confident of going through.

20. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    It's easy to say Sevilla had an off day but that's selling us short, even with the recent form we've been in. Let's not forget that Sevilla rested 7 starters their last lague game so that they could be fresh for this game. Unfortunately, we always tend to let out foot off the gas when were up even though we don't have the defense or defensive discipline for such a tactic. Our stregth is in attack and we need to be more courageous and show better mentality in such games.

astrophyz and eaglespark repped this.
  21. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Wow.. wow.. wow..

Now THIS is BVB football.. at least a bit closer to it than what we've seen all season. This felt so good to watch!

What the hell happened? All players in a good mood, and inspired! Was it the Marco Rose announcement? Did it take the pressure off Terzic?

Dahoud.. inspired
    Sancho.. super inspired
    Jude.. wonderful
    The wingers and the outer midfielders coordinating fluidly and flawless on defense! Just wow.. where and when did they learn that?
    Reus! Playing like he was 20!
    Haaland.. 2 goals, that's his normal, nothing to see here haha
    4-3-3.. yes!

I'm happy to watch this. I'll take the errors in defending set pieces. We can improve on that later. But keep practicing this shit! Score more than you concede. That's what Terzic said on his announcement. I'm behind that!

The later changes were strange. Still doing the Favre chickening of being too conservative to keep the lead. I would have put in a Gio for Reus to keep the energy on the wings. I would have put in Brandt for Dahoud maybe for more fresh legs. I would have stayed away from Meunier and Passlack. One makes scary mistakes, the other is not at the right level. What's wrong with playing Schultz?

22. thisisthelife

thisisthelife Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    Glad we won it, but it was a game of two halves. In the first we played much better and in the second we were dire. It is beyond me why Dahoud is not starting games ahead of Bellingham. And it is beyond me why we cannot find any quality in the defending department. We need a massive overhaul there.

23. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Agreed re Dahoud.. but apparently he had an argument with Terzic. That doesn't help. But no excuse for Favre. He was just too scared to play a player who can create while having some defensive flaws. Today Dahoud proved that he can defend well. Our team defense when they had the ball was amazing, and for much of the 1st have Sevilla was passing the ball from side to side unable to penetrate.

I don't see our defenders as bad. The second goal was Can's mistake for not staying with the striker. Again, on a set piece! I think our defenders can probably get better under a coach who stresses defensive organization and is a good motivator.

24. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    I didn't think Jude was terrible today, even though I would start Dahoud over him any day, if I have to choose. I think playing them BOTH is actually better because there's a good balance there between offense and defense. And Jude provides a lot of running and energy. No room for Delaney or Witsel.. that's for sure.. except to rest Can.

25. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You haven't changed one bit. You find a player you like or dislike and gnaw at it. :)

Reus was marginally better assisted by his assist.

Jude wasn't bad. If he'd had an assist, you'd be singing his praise too.

We played a 3 man midfield because we had to dominate the midfield which comes at the expense of supporting our forwards more.

I'm glad that Jadon has completely returned to form.

The one player who was bad was Can. He was out run, out played and for the last goal outsmarted.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.