CL - Liverpool v. Atalanta - 3pm - Nov. 25 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by newterp, Nov 25, 2020.

1. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    At half time I wanted to see us switch to:

Alisson

Milner ... R Williams ... Matip ... Tsimikas

Jones ... Fabinho ... Wijnaldum

Salah ... Firmino ... Jota​

2. soccershaggy

soccershaggy Member+

May 18, 2003
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    I thought Nico was solid and Tsimkas disappointing.

3. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a total disappointment. I don't know what went on in training, but the starting 10 (apart from Alisson) were unprepared, IMO. Origi might find a place in MLS or somewhere tight defending isn't present.

4. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Agree with your takes. It’s not just technical ability with Origi. His movement isn’t good and he didn’t even seem to be working hard. Just going through the motions. Very strange decision not to start Minamino. He’s a like for like replacement for Firmino.

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Somehow managed to not get to watch Sunday but saw this garbage in its entirety. A horrible day at the office, mostly because of young players mixed with some 2nd strings who don't have any coheesivenesss. Can't really blame him for anything but the ref was just straight trash.

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #56 usscouse, Nov 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    One I refused to pay for worked out. Doesn’t make me any happier tho.

B.A. repped this.
  7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that ref was weird. Blatant trips and fouls - not called.

8. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But not the reason we lost.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  9. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I can understand the rotation, but I would have thought that this was a harder game (on paper) than Brighton away, so go with a more experienced side here and a lesser one on Saturday, no?

Having said that, this was also a game we could afford to lose (which we duly did); Brighton less so.

10. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah not even close to why we lost. Ref actually called it both ways pretty evenly (as in missed the calls on both sides). Atalanta saw the mix and match team we had and took their energy up all the way. We actually looked like we were playing for a draw instead of a win.

I do wish Klopp had gotten the 4 subs on just a minute earlier of course. May have calmed the game back down.

11. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just about had it with Origi. We'll always treasure the magical goals from the spring of 2019, but he now seems completely out of sync with the rest of the team.

12. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think you answered your own question there.

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    you got the impression he wanted the game to end asap.

14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    agree. love the guy but at this point he looks like an amateur. real shame but he needs to be replaced.

jeffcoop repped this.
  15. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Many comments before this game referenced how difficult it would be for Klopp to field an effective side given the amount of injuries plus the number of games coming every three days it seems. Ultimately it was a tired disjointed team effort , no punch up front and a mf which never got a grip on the game . Surprisingly I thought overall the def played reasonably well for most of the game .

Gini looked tired ,Millie's 35 yr old legs showed the effects of having played 90mins v Leicester just days before and Curt Jones wasn't able to play at the same level he did on the weekend.
    Up front for me Mane desperately needs a rest and I was really surprised Klopp started him rather than Jota and Origi just doesn't look like he suits this team any more.
    I can't lay any blame at Klopp's feet though , his hands are pretty much tied .Until he gets some healthy bodies back we may see more games like this.

16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    agree speke. the only bright side is this wasn't a must-win situation.

best thing for Klopp to do is just wipe this one off the board - no post-game analysis with the players - and move on. so in a weird way Brighton coming up so fast will help.

with the rate of games these days, teams have little or no chance to study their next opponents in depth and calibrate tactics. that benefits our first team guys since they are such a well-oiled machine, but with an unfamiliar lineup we just didn't click at all.

thinking back to last night, it was a little bit like us vs LC, but in reverse -- we were the ones huffing and puffing and on the back foot for most of the 90 minutes.

speker repped this.
  17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I usually pay little attention to opposition players during a live game, but I must say that Gomez played a hell of a game. he hardly put a foot wrong, covered every inch of the pitch and played smart, accurate, passes in attack, midfield and defense. our guys couldn't lay a glove on him.

we do have a guy who can do that. but his name is Thiago.

18. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep, Gomez bossed the mf and our guys couldn't lay a glove on him . With our best out there Gomez wouldn't do that but last night he ran the show for Atalanta.

19. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Glad I missed this one, Klopp's got to try different looks given the match congestion and injuries and this didn't work. Moving on. Glad no one else got hurt.

SamScouse repped this.
  20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday was a free hit. It didn’t work. Oh well.

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    looking for rays of light ... Klopp learned a lot about individual players last night which will help in the future.

sigh ....

22. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think yesterday leaves us so deflated in that it comes on the heels of one of our best performances of the season, so the contrast is very stark.

Jurgen said afterward it was very important that he made the changes to the lineup, obviously meaning in context to the overall health and maintenance of the squad in the middle of 9 games in 28 days, which is coming off the heels of a "break" which saw many of our players involved in 1-3 matches in a week's time.

He clearly determined that the risk involved in playing some of our people (Bobby, Jota, Fab, Robbo) for the full match was greater than the possibility of dropping points in this group stage match, where we were leading the table (still are btw)..

You'd just like to see some of those coming in to the team put in a better shift. As he also said afterward, rhythm was greatly affected.

The weekend should be bettter, and we are still going to get through to the knockout rounds of this competition. I'm over it.

newterp repped this.
  23. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Don't even think he needs to be replaced.

Salah, Mane, Firmino, Jota, Minamino + some of our MF (OxC, Shaqiri, Milner, Wijnaldum) + kids.

If anything we are a bit overstocked up front and 10m for Origi could be used to partially fund a CB in Jan.

24. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Really think Klopp should have gone 4-2-3-1.

Would have allowed Wijnaldum/Milner/Fabinho to play reduced minutes and given them to players like Minamino/Origi/Jota instead.

speker repped this.
  25. RobR

RobR Member

Liverpool FC
    Sep 9, 2020
    New York City
    Klopp should have played the U-23s.

Just as it's important to let the Carabao Cup know its place in the universe so it's import for the Champions League to get a reality check.