1. yurchishin79

yurchishin79 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Milan
    Benfica
    Celtic
    SD

This one will be tougher than DK's group. From the other hand, Benfica now is in turmoil, playing badly in its own league and was unimpressive vs. FCK in qualifying. And Celtic is beatable too as Spartak showed.

2. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Neither Shakhtar nor Dynamo are in a group of death. They can both hope for the 2nd or 3rd.

3. yurchishin79

yurchishin79 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Yeah, considering both of them ended up in the 4th basket, it is a decent draw.

4. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Shakhtar is stronger than Benfica and Celtic at this moment. Too many motivated, high quality signings.

5. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    If only Shakhtar could win on the road... :(

6. yurchishin79

yurchishin79 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    I have a feeling that yesterday's win brought the players together, made a team out of them - something that was missing in prior Axmet's teams. Waiting for good surprises. :cool:

7. Sheva7

Sheva7 New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Not bad for Shakhtar. Yes Milan are the defending champs and this is their tournament, but Shakhtar can hang with Benfica and Celtic.

8. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    good luck to you in the group.

you've trounced us before but hopefully we'll show up as a better team this time around.

we weren't at our best against spartak but i wouldn't read too much into both legs.

playing the away leg first meant celtic had to decide how to approach the tie. we played a more defensive team in moscow to get a result (which we got), hence why hartley started in place of mcgeady.

i was at parkhead on wednesday and it was a great game. hugely different from the first leg because both teams knew exactly what was needed to progress. spartak are a quality team and pushed us all the way. if they had drawn someone else then i'm sure they'd have made the group stages as they have more than enough quality to be performing in the CL. i'm looking forward to seeing your team at parkhead as it has changed a bit since the last time.

in particular i'm looking forward to seeing nery castillo who i thought was terrific at the copa america but i'm a little surprised to see he's only made a couple of sub appearances so far this season.

has he been injured? or is he just being brought into your team gradually?

anyway, good luck in the league and lets hope for some exciting matches.

9. yurchishin79

yurchishin79 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Neri was injured, but was one of the decisive factors vs. Red Bulls. Clearly, a very good (yet expensive) pick up for Shaxtar.

10. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    At the beginning of the Ukrainian Premier League season, Nery was considered out of shape, so he was brought along somewhat slowly. I think the guy impressed in the first couple of matches he played, even though he managed to have his nose broken already. you should have seen his mask - I liked it, team's colors that match their jerseys.

11. atikiN

atikiN New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    NYC
    Shakhtar Man: scores penalties by day, fights crime by night.

12. Chosen One

Chosen One New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Our domestic Zorro. :cool:

13. Dynamo 22

Dynamo 22 New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Shakhtar can progress, but I personally expect them to narrowly miss out and get the UEFA Cup spot ahead of Celtic. The away game in Benfica is crucial. They must not loose that to have a chance.

14. Chosen One

Chosen One New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Well, what may appear correct in your forecast is that Western European teams have a huge margin of safety. :rolleyes: Hopefully Shakhtar will succeed in avoiding unobligatory losses of points this time. ;)

15. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    HalfTime scores:

AC Milan - SL Benfica 2-0
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk - Celtic FC Glasgow 2-0 (Brandao, Lucarelli)

There's only 2 Ukrainians on the field for Shakhtar. 5 are on the bench and Chygrynskiy is suspended for cards.