City v Spurs (R)

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by NER_MCFC, May 10, 2011.

1. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's not the cup final, but City are up against Tottenham, on a Peter Crouch own goal no less. :)

2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken, if this result holds then City are in the champions league, no?

3. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, because it would put us 9 up on Spurs and 7 on Liverpool with everyone having only two games left.

In other news, Zabaleta is off with a persistent bloody nose, courtesy of Peter Crouch.

4. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tevez comes on for Silva with 8 minutes left.

5. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    five minutes of added time.

6. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full time!

7. deadendnights

deadendnights Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Champions League Football!!!!!

One down, now lets forget about it and take that Trophy on Saturday.

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manchester 2 - London 0

LONDON FALLING!!!!

:D

9. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Let's be correct. A chance for Champions League Football. 4th place is qualifications. I don't mean to spoil the parade, but let's not misinform anyone. I know that BPL's coefficient is high and we'll most likely play a team from Eastern Europe, but let's not forget that we've had tough times against teams in that region. Heck, we were knocked out of the Europa by one of them.

We really should have beaten Everton, because that 3rd spot would have been much nicer. However, still 2 games left and 2 points behind Arsenal. Come on Citeh.

10. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

I was in tears after the final whistle, all that pain and suffering is being washed away.

11. deadendnights

deadendnights Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry is this better

Champions League (qualification) Football!!!!!

12. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    It is correct, but unfortunately not better. I wish you were right in that we guaranteed CL football. It gave me no pleasure to correct you.

Onto the FA cup Final.

13. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    enjoy the moment man. Hopefully the feeling is the same after Saturday's game. I hope you will have tears again, but not tears of pain.

14. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not really here

15. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Congratulations on getting there. Now go on and get 3rd please.

16. acleansheet

acleansheet New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So happy for you man! European nights at the City of Manchester Stadium!!! Cause I know we're gonna beat Arsenal to 3rd!

17. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks alot! I hate f*ckin arse as well.

I'm happy we got the top four but I am not oblivious to the fact that we got a watered down version of Spurs with Injuries killing your squad in key areas.

And we were still a few cleaner finishes away from losing.

18. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We have to push for 3rd, the list of teams we will probably have to play in the qualifying round is scary because of our low coefficiency ranking. We could very easily draw a team like Bayern Munich, Lyon, or Benfica. We could beat them but these aren't some Swiss, Turkish, or Greek team, they are top European clubs who we'd have to fight tooth and nail to beat (which in turn could affect our early season form as the qualifiers are nestled between Premier League fixtures).

19. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I was watching Arsenal vs Utd 2 weeks ago at my local City Pub. Everyone was so happy when the rags lost but I wasn't. I get it, we like seeing the rags lose, but in this case, it hurts us more. Had the rags won, we would be in 3rd place right now.

Also, this is why the game vs Everton was so important. Everton basically took our chances for 3rd place away, and potentially our Champions League football if we don't qualify.

Yes, mathematically, we still have a shot at 3rd place. However, looking at Arsenal's remaining fixtures, I say it will be pretty hard for them to drop points. Additionally, they have nothing else to play for except league games where whereas we have to focus on the FA cup finals first. In terms of odds, I don't think we'll get that 3rd spot.

With respect to coefficient, is it based on each team or each league? If you think about it, Tottenham's history in CL isn't all that great either, and they drew Young Boys last year. I think it might be based on league and BPL's coefficient is very high.

20. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    League plays a big part but there are points for individual team record too. You will get some credit for being in Europa league and reaching the knockout rounds, as we did. I'm guessing your coefficient will not be quite as high as ours last year because we had 3 years of UEFA Cup/Europa League competition. Last 4 years count.

You'll enter at the final qualifying round of the non-champions, in with the last qualifiers from Italy, Spain etc. and whoever's made it through the earlier rounds from the smaller leagues. It works out to be a pool of 10 teams who are split into upper and lower groups of 5, based on coefficient, upper teams being drawn against lower.

IIRC we had 4th highest coefficient in our 10, so it's hard to tell whether you guys will get in the upper group, depending on who else is in there. Enjoy the ride. :)

21. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Nevermind the group stage for now. I highly doubt we'll be paired with teams from Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, or even France. I remember Everton got paired up with Udinese 6 years ago and got knocked out miserably, but that could be because it was a 5th place team that went into qualifications. We'll see how it goes.

22. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wasn't it Villareal?.... ironically, potentially one of Man City's opponents.