City in Champions League discussion

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by StuMCFC, May 24, 2011.

1. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We seem to have crept into Pot 3, which is good news for us, even though it means we'll have to contend with at least one team from Pot 1 and one team from Pot 2. Had we been in Pot 4 though, we'd have had a Pot 3 team also!

Ideal group: Inter, Kiev, Salzburg
    Nightmare group (at least for trying to qualify!): Barcelona, AC Milan, Borussia Dortmund

[​IMG]

2. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    wait, this makes no sense. Qualifications don't start until July, so at least half of the teams are unknown. How are you coming up with this?

On the side note, is it true if an BPL team wins the Champions League, we won't get protection in terms of avoiding another BPL team in our group?

3. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Top teams in qualifiers are included on that chart like Arsenal and Munich, so even if they qualify, we'll be in Pot 3 (but if they don't, we're still too low to make Pot 2).[/quote]

I don't think that's true, an iron clad rule as far as I know that you can't have a team from your own country in your group, never seen it happen.

4. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

I don't think that's true, an iron clad rule as far as I know that you can't have a team from your own country in your group, never seen it happen.[/QUOTE]

weren't the rags in the same group as another BPL team a couple years ago? Perhaps I remembered it wrong.

5. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nah, don't think so. This is from Wiki anyway:

Can't wait, unlike everything else there won't be too much pressure on us in the CL as we're one of the "babies" of the tournament and aren't expected to win it. That said, I think there will be an expectation, maybe not publicly stated, that we reach the knockout phase. The best part though is that we're guaranteed 6 games minimum having bypassed the qualifiers, which will be great for the revenue the club needs to make for these new FFP rules.

6. 'appy Addick

'appy Addick New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Portsmouth
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As long as nobody comes out with something daft like "We'll scare Europe to death" then nobody will expect City to do too much in their first season. A good showing in next season's tournament, with a top three place in order to qualify for the season after (2012 / 13) would be respectable. Making it to the knockout stage (next season) would be a bonus. Think Spurs.

I think that, rather than fret over who may or may not be in your group you should just enjoy the experience and take each game as it comes. The top two seeded teams are favourite to qualify... that's only natural... but it's not engraved by fire in tablets of stone.

I think one thing City fans should be wary of is heaping too much expectation on the team too quickly. You've had a fantastic end to this season.... two more games and I reckon you could have overtaken Chelsea for second place. The Force was with you.

But the fans have to be reasonable. Next season, City will be considered about the equal of Chelsea, stronger than Arsenal..... much stronger than Spurs. The team has to live up to that but the best way to deal with it is one game at a time so don't get on the players backs if one or two results go awry along the way.

The Champions League is what it is, and City are newbies to this level of football. Roll with it, take whatever lady luck throws your way... good and bad... and think of the learning curve.

Good luck.

7. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Mancini is trying to build a bigger and better quality squad during this transfer window. If he is successful, there's no reason to have a low expectation. Most of the people in our starting line-up have played in the Champions League at one point or another, those who haven't played in the Champions League have at least played in the Europa at one point or another. Mancini himself is a Champions League garu, so I am expecting quarter-finals and I don't think that's shooting for the moon. However, it depends on this transfer window.

If we replace Tevez, who's keen on leaving, with another top class striker and (hopefully Sergio Aguero) add Sanchez from Udinese, along with a few more signings, then I am confident that we will do well.

However, the window is not looking good right now. Atlantico Madrid won't let Sergio Aguero go and Udinese won'g let Sanchez go. These are the key signings for this wondiw, much like Silva was in the last window.

8. acleansheet

acleansheet New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can't face an English side until the quarter-finals. Country protection in the group stages + round of 16.

9. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how none of us have any clue what the hell we're talking about!!

It's like we just crashed a wedding and we're going around the room, drinking as much, as fast, as possible, yet trying to look inconspicuous even though we're all wearing suits 3 sizes to large and we still cant keep form yelling to your mate with a mouthful of shrimp how awesome it is to be here and asking "who's are we related to again?".

I'm not criticizing at all, I, for one, am still trying to work out the Europa League ffs

10. acleansheet

acleansheet New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha! Totally agree. It's a great feeling though! Hopefully we'll be hitting it off with a bride's maid, if that makes any sense metaphorically. :p

11. 'appy Addick

'appy Addick New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Portsmouth
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

If the bridesmaid in question is Pippa Middleton, I'd settle for that..!!

12. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just the name of the thread makes me smile. :D

I agree its like being invited to the premiere party and not knowing what to wear isn't it?

13. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfamiliar ground indeed! Looking forward to it.

14. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

15. acleansheet

acleansheet New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The draw's tomorrow. Looks like we're going to get a tough group considering all the clubs in Pot A & B are top notch. Then there's Lille, Napoli, and Borussia Dortmund in Pot D.

FACT: We will be grouped with one of, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Porto, Inter or Bayern.

Will be praying for Porto, CSKA Moscow, and FC Viktoria Plzen.

16. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the uefa coefficiant. It's just a bunch a complicated smokescreen to ensure that Bayern Munich doesn't get Chelsea until the latest possible time or Real Madrid doesn't get the scum. This bullshit number is so stupid that Barca, whose been number 1 in the stupid thing in 2009, and 2010... is now Number 2 despite beating the team that's number 1 in the CL final last year.

I realize that the numbers go back 5 years, but why 5 years? Why not 25 years? Why not 50? With Real Madrid's past shouldn't they just be allowed to enter the tournament in the semifinals. I mean if you're going to throw in b*llsh*t ratings from years ago, why stop at 5?

Regardless, City will still mash up whatever tw*ts they throw at 'em.

17. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    We're gonna win this group. I called it and stand by it. We'd be humiliated if we didn't come out on top. With our talent and depth, we have every reason to be confident going into this tournament.

18. Zeljo Fanatico

Zeljo Fanatico Member+

Aug 8, 2011
    Wow very unlucky draw from City. Easily the hardest group in the Champions League this year. I still think City's talent will prove too much for the other teams.

If it does any comfort.. Dzeko's scored a goal a piece against both Villarreal and Napoli last year, and has also scored 6 goals in 6 games overall against Bayern.. so he has a lot of experience against these sides.

19. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Bayern wins the group.

City can win the group, but I think second is a far more realistic scenario.

20. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Comparing talent, Manchester City has a much better squad. However, Bayern may edge City in experience and team chemistry. Most of Bayern's players have been playing together for a while and have more Champions League experience.

If you look at City's starting 11, those who don't have Champions League experience are Richards, Hart, Lescott (I don't think he does, I could be wrong), Barry, Zabalatta, and Milner. Quite a few others on the bench like Adam Johnson don't have CL experience as well. However, Yaya and Kolo Toure, Nasri, Aguero, Silva, Tevez (if he is still around), Dzeko, Balotelli (if he stays sane), and Clichy. These are players you could count on.

Those who don't have CL experience have played a lot in Europa League, so some European competition experience.

Mancini has tons of Champions League experience and knows Serie A inside out. He's been scouting Cavani and Hemsik for a long time because he wanted them on a transfer. So he's probably watched a lot of Napoli games as of late. I don't think playing against Napoli will be a problem.

Against Villareal, you can count on Yaya Toure, Aguero, Silva, and posibility Zabalatta because they have tons of experience playing La Liga teams.

Too bad we lost Boateng to a CL competitor. However, Dzeko is back in familiar grounds playing against a Bundesliga team.

To be honest, I think we'll win the group. Talent wise, there's no reason to think otherwise. It's all in the head. The pressure is on us because we have the biggest payroll in Europe and the entire world of football hate our guts. If we perform at our highest level, there's no way Bayern, Napoli, and Villareal can get a point from us.

This is the mentality City players and fans should have. Yes it's a tough group, but legend and glory are created in such way. CTID

21. SuperJville

SuperJville Member

May 7, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    SC Freiburg

Talent wise ManCity is not much superior than Bayern. From a depth perspective, of course, but you must remember only 11 players take the field.

From Bayern's starting 11, look at these names:

Neuer, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Robben, Ribery, Muller, Gomez

While I agree Gomez is not a skilled striker, his record speaks for himself. All the other players are equally good if not better than ManCity's counterparts at their respective positions.

I predict this: If Robben is healthy, Bayern win this group. If one of the glass twins (Ribery or Robben) miss more than a couple of games in this group, I think ManCity wins the group with Bayern coming in 2nd.

City's biggest advantage is depth.

22. SuperJville

SuperJville Member

May 7, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    That is straight arrogance. What if both Bayern AND City perform at their highest levels? I'm sure some cocky fans from Bavaria are saying the same thing. I think you might be in for a rude awakening when you realize that talent on paper oftentimes does not equal performance on the field.

23. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yea it is straight arrogance, but so what? Nothing we say on big soccer will directly affect the outcome of the game, City fans here are full of confidence going into this year, so of course we are going to think that we will take over and dominate :)

24. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    it will be a very challenging group. trying to achieve max. pts at home and then getting what one can away from home.

25. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    If both teams perform at the highest level, Citeh will edge Bayern for sure. Talents like Aguero, Silva, Tevez, Yaya Toure, and De Jong will trump those on Bayern's squad.

If you want to talk about history, Bayern no doubt has accomplished a lot more. I believe, that's the only reason most fans doubt Citeh's talent superiority to Bayern, because Citeh has never proved anything in Europe, and this is about to change.

Talent on paper often times does not equal performance on the field???? That's why I said, if Citeh performs at its highest level.

Bayern could win the group, but the odds are in Citeh's favorite. If Citeh does not win the group, it's considered a failure, not justifying the pool of talent we have.

Put it this way, if Citeh does not make the knockout stage, Mancini is fired. If Citeh finishes second in the group, Mancini will be heavily criticized. If Citeh does not make the quarter finals, Mancini is still fired. The expectation is at least get through the quarter finals.

I don't want your glass twins to be injured. I love this group because it's a chance for Citeh to prove itself. If we beat you with your glass twins injured, you will use that as an excuse.

So, bring it on. Come on Citeh.