City General Team Discussion

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by deadendnights, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "Hope... is kindled"

While I still think it's very unlikely, we at least have that small opening now that gives us hope. :D

It'd be Typical City to go and lose to Norwich now but supposing we don't we'll pile the pressure on the rags going into what should be an easy home game against Villa for them, as we play Norwich earlier.

The movement and ideas were there yesterday that have not been there for a while. Playing Tevez instead of a big target man seemed to help a lot as his, Aguero, Silva, and Nasri's movement was fantastic. Silva also seemed to regain a bit of his swagger after so long out of form.

I was at the ground last night and even before the goal and even before Wigan scored, the fans were brilliant - that stubborn support that said "We love you no matter what", creating a feel-good factor around the Etihad that probably affected the players. When Wigan scored the stadium exploded. :D

2. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    When Kun was signed I was really excited at the prospect of Tevez Aguero Silva, but it never came to play for one reason or another.

Its very hard to win 5 straight in the league so either team can slip up in the next month, still a chance.

3. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    City to play a friendly against Real Madrid in Boston probably on August 5th according to Marca in Spain. Any of our American fans here going to that if it's confirmed?

4. sputnikorbust

sputnikorbust Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wouldn't miss that for the world. as a Bostonian and a City fan, i just read this via twitter and nearly crapped my pants. i'm wondering where they will play though.. there's really no stadiums in Boston proper that they could play at, unless this will be held at Fenway Park in addition to the Liverpool v. Roma game the week prior

5. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might consider a road trip up to Boston.

6. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow. That is all. If only we'd have been able to maintain this form for the entire season, maybe next season? Our best performance since the other Sickswan against United. Tevez and Aguero absolutely amazing, if Tevez had not done what he did in Munich, what could have been... not just in the league but he might have helped us in the cups we bowed out of too easily.

7. Respekt

Respekt Red Card

Mar 30, 2012
    Same thoughts I had while watching that performance from City.

It might be not over yet you know, but it's very late now in my opinion for you lot to make a real title charge. Lessons should have been learned after the Swansea and Everton defeats, not now with very little left to play.

8. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah I am not getting too hopeful, I think we may have left it too late but as the song went today "We'll fight to the end" and losing by 3pts would be better than losing by 8pts+ as it looked to be going not so long ago. Any other season and this points total or rather the projected final total would win us the league, I believe United are overachieving this season.

9. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a game, hopefully that will attract some suitors for Tevez.

10. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    3rd Old Trafford game in a row that a penalty decision their way has turned the tide of the game. We can't win this league on merit, we might have to start applying the "dark arts" more next season as simply being a talented football team doesn't seem to be enough with the cheating we're seeing from the likes of Ashley Young and certain referees. Tevez booked for being fouled in the box, Young rewarded with two penalties for two dives in two games.

I've revised my 50/50 stance on Tevez, I'd say keep him now, we'll need every asset possible to win a league that may as well give United a 10pt head-start. I'm sure Ferguson would "admire Mancini" if he sold Tevez and the real reason would be the elimination of a threat towards his crooked team.

Good article: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/314793

11. deadendnights

deadendnights Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest our performances at Swansea, Stoke, Arsenal, and Sunderland at home are more to blame then Utd's "luck" We had the title in our control and let it get away.

12. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A contrary view is that we could have afforded those slip ups if the officiating was consistent and they weren't gifted so much. Their last three home games now have seen them awarded game-changing decisions. Yes, they probably would have beaten Villa anyway but goals change games and it was 0-0 when Young did his belly flop. The Fulham non-penalty that was 100% a penalty, if that was given and converted, 2pts dropped. The Ashley Young dive (while offside) and subsequent red card for a QPR side that was dealing with United comfortably, another 2pts at least quite possibly handed to United. And it goes back further than the last few games. Only 1 game this season where I can say we stole the 3pts on the back of some bad officiating and that was against Spurs, I could name many games where United have stolen points. It's a joke really.

13. Respekt

Respekt Red Card

Mar 30, 2012
    Whilst I agree that United have received some arguable decisions in their direction, it would be difficult to say that it's the main reason why they're on their way to winning the title. They've just been better performers at the most important stage of the season and that's been the difference between the two sides. City peaked way too early and have produced lethargic displays away from home (and some at home) since November and the situation has turned against them in the past few months.

It's a big learning experience for the club and Mancini for sure though and the necessary additions need to be made in the summer in order to make sure the team has the depth and doesn't peak so early into the season with no real quality to back up the absences of key players like Silva, Kompany, and Yaya. Like the saying goes, "there's always next year", and I believe this applies to City.

14. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mourinho extending his contract with Real which will confirm Mancio stays another season, if his scouting missions across Europe (he was in Amsterdam last weekend, not sure why... looking at Eriksen or Vertonghen maybe?) weren't evidence enough anyway. If he sorts out the problem areas I think he'll win us the league anyway and it'd feel better than if Mourinho did as City fans have a strong affinity to Mancini and vice versa.

15. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want Mancini to say. He's improved on each season. And the last thing I want to see is City become a coaching carousel like Chelsea. Continuity is good.

16. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F***. We may win the league under him in the next year or two, as we should considering what's been spent, but we'll never win the champions league with Mancini's tactics.

17. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    One step at a time, who is to say we can't win the CL with him because just like we're a team growing, learning, and improving, he's a manager doing the same. He's accomplished a lot in his fairly short managerial career but is still gaining experience. Anyway, one step at a time, winning the league next season will be a huge first step for the club and we can think about the CL later as just bedding ourselves into the competition regularly is our priority right now.

18. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's too negative, narrow, and content with a slow pace tactically, and a pushover off the field. Those aren't the features of a world class manager.

20. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the best meme I have ever seen

21. JohnClement

JohnClement Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    IMO Manchester United ghave received at least 20 points per season from officials for each of the last 20 seasons this is scandalous and cheats all of the other 91 clubs. I am neutral in this but dont like to see cheats winning trophies. There are abouut 20 select group refs so each ref should referee a club max 3-4 times a season. Yet several seasons ago Riley had about 7 games at Old Trafford, gave them a penalty in most of them & he is now the one who assigns referees. An analysis would also show the same refs who tend to do Man U favours. Foy & Dowd & Clattenberg stick out as obvious. Some of these are equally keen to stitch up Man Us main rivals .Kompany obviously key player -singled out & thus banned. The same thing happened when first Arsenal, then Chelsea were Man Us main rivals -massive amout of unjustified red cards. The FA wont do anything because either they are in on it or tooembarrassed to admit that our game has been fixed for 20 years.

22. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Seriously? You seriously believe that? Oh dear

23. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Every team everywhere thinks the refs are out to get them.

Good teams get consistent decisions because they have better, faster and stronger players.

United have been the 'best' team in the Premier League era and henceforth, they get consistent decisions. Even I can see that.

24. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sheikh Mansour says he's happy with the season (even if we finish 2nd), the players, and the manager. Manchester loves you Sheikh Mansour, he's the anti-Abramovich and will lead us to glory and riches no matter what it takes. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17833200

25. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh. I love that he's not Abramovich, that's truly awesome, but I wish he picked a better god damn manager to stick with in the first place. Imagine Pep or Bielsa with our budget, it would be unreal.