City 06 Summer Transfer News & Rumours

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by Alan D, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Well, we have to start the thread up sometime :)

I think that we didn't perhaps add to our squad as much during the January transfer window as I would of liked - we really needed an experienced midfielder in there. Barton is being linked with a £6 million move to Newcastle and Liverpool have also been linked with him.

I'd like Man City to buy Upson from Birmingham, and he will probably leave if they get relegated, Lovenkrands from Rangers, permanently buy Riera from Espanyol, we will need a new goalkeeper next season because it looks like Weaver and De Vlieger are both leaving on a free transfer but I don't know what keeper, Pennant from Birmingham (who will also probably leave if Birmingham get relegated) and Bullard from Wigan. We could do with a new left-back as well and cover for right-back. Obviously we couldn't buy all of the players there but if we could get several of them then it wouldn't be bad. I wouldn't mind us trying to buy Freddy Adu from D.C. United - he seems like a good talent and hes young. Pearce gets the best out of young players so he could do well here.

The players being linked with a move out of Eastlands are Barton, which I have already mentioned, and Sibierski :eek: for £1.5 million move to Olympiakos - I hope he doesn't go and I think he should be played more often.

2. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    Barton can go for 6mill and Sibi is just a utility man now, so any money for him would be a bonus.
    I hope SP tries getting that young lad Hart from Shrewsbury in the summer.
    The club really has no money and I expect Sp having to seel in order to buy, to help reduce the debts further and also to bring in younger, hungrier players to develop.

3. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    I think that if Barton does leave the club in the summer for around £6 million, then Man City should have just over £10 million to spend in the summer on players. Remember, he had £10 million to spend in January but only spent £5.1m on Samaras, which would increase to £6m is Man City qualify for Europe this season, which means he has at least £4m to spend and another £6m would be at least £10m. If I was Pearce, I would sign perhaps a player for a few million or so and then spend the rest on players worth £1 million or around that region.

4. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    Perhaps Barton to go and Distin to go in the summer too. Sibi going would be no great loss in my opinion either. This would help relieve some more debt at the club, funds would be available to keep Riera, perhaps, and SP could continue his policy (Spurs style) of signing younger players.
    I think others to leave would be Thatcher (certainly not good enough) and Jordan (seems to be found wanting and out of his depth).

5. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Bridge would be a good left-back for us - but I'm not sure if we would spend a good proportion of the transfer money on him

6. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    City line up Betis ace
    By Francisco Acedo - Created on 6 Feb 2006

Manchester City are thought to be lining up a move for Real Betis defender Fernando Varela.

Varela's future at Betis looks uncertain with his current contract due to expire in the summer and as yet no talks over a new deal have taken place.

The news has alerted City who could snap up Varela on a free transfer at the end of the season.

City officials are believed to have watched the 26-year-old in action on several occasions this term and he is thought to have impressed the club's scouting team.

Varela insists he has heard nothing from City, but that he would be interested in a move to England.

"I have not spoken with any English director, but the Premier League is a great competition," said Varela.

"If I am not of any interest to Betis all the options are open for me."

Varela would be an attractive proposition to City boss Stuart Pearce as he does not have much money to spend at Eastlands and he would add options to his defence.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=360794&CPID=23&clid=&lid=&title=City+line+up+Betis+ace

-----------------------------------------------------

7. ReturnoftheTang

Jul 15, 2005
    Is SP going to try to buy Malbranque again?

8. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Doubt it as his last two bids have been rejected. Would be a very good signing if they bought him but it is unlikely to go ahead now.

9. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Although its not really a transfer, a young striker has been put on trial.

City look at Kirk
    By Peter ORourke - Created on 24 Feb 2006

Manchester City have taken youngster Tyrone Kirk on trial.

Striker Kirk was invited for a trial earlier this week and he had a run-out for the club's reserves in midweek.

City reserve team boss Steve Wigley will cast an eye over Kirk before deciding whether or not to follow up his interest in the player.

"Tyrone is someone we are having a look at for a few days, every now and then we have a trialist in," Wigley told the club's website.

"We're always looking at players, whether they are from abroad or from England."

Meanwhile, City boss Stuart Pearce believes a good result against Liverpool this weekend will provide the squad with a massive boost for the rest of the season.

City travel to Anfield on Sunday hoping to keep their bid for a European spot on track with a positive result.

"I think in some ways if we got a result at Anfield it would really galvanise a belief within our squad and give us a real big lift for what we've got to come for the rest of the season, I really do," said Pearce.

"When you go and get results at big places, we have been to Old Trafford this year and got a point and you know we put in a good performance at Arsenal (got beat 1-0) on the road at the bigger grounds.

"It is important if you get something out of the big games it gives your squad a lift, especially if you have got one or two youngsters in the side, the confidence it gives them."

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=366334&CPID=8&clid=&lid=&title=City+look+at+Kirk

----------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, City have been linked with Wigan's Jimmy Bullard and Aston Villa's Lee Hendrie.

10. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Stu targets £6m Bridge

STUART PEARCE wants Chelsea defender Wayne Bridge to join Manchester City for £6million.

Eastlands boss Pearce has made the England left-back, 25, his top summer target - but will struggle to match Bridge’s wages of around £40,000 a week.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2006100128,00.html

------------------------------------------------------

Good if we could sign him, but I think that Jordan is a good left-back and he is having a decent season. That £6m could be used to bring in a number of players that could strengthen our defence and midfield though.

11. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    We need more players in the summer - especially after today's performance at Portsmouth. Pearce wants £20 million to spend in the summer and I think that chances are he will get it hopefully. I'd buy the following players if I was him and obviously if they were available:

GK: Hart (Shrewsbury) for £500k
    LB: Bridge (Chelsea) for £6m
    CB: Upson (Birmingham) for £4/5m
    CB: Lescott (Wolves) for £2m
    RM: Pennant (Birmingham) for £6m
    Thomert (can play as striker or in midfield) from Lens for £3m plus Sibierski
    LM: Riera permanently for £3.5m
    LM: Musampa on loan again

I personally don't think that Bridge would leave Chelsea because they will probably use him instead of Del Horno next season which means that £6m could be used for other players. If Birmingham gets relegated then Pennant and Upson will be available so it would be good to get at least one of them. Lescott would be a good defensive signing and he is very highly-rated. With the £20m, Pearce could probably sign most of them players and I hope he is given the money to build the squad.

12. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Thomert weighs up Prem move
    By Mark Buckingham - Created on 12 Mar 2006

Lens attacker Olivier Thomert claims Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur are still on his trail.

City boss Stuart Pearce has been a long-term admirer of the Frenchman and considered a bid for Thomert at the start of the season.

Pearce eventually opted against making a concerted push for the 25-year-old, but has retained an interest in the player.

Spurs have also been following the forward closely, while Everton reportedly had an offer dismissed during the January transfer window.

Thomert is under contract at Lens until 2007, but is ready to discuss his long-term future at the end of the season.

He has yet to decide whether he will quit the Ligue 1 outfit, but revealed the interest from across The Channel.

"I know Tottenham and Manchester City are keeping their eyes on me," said Thomert.

"I have not yet taken a decision.

"But I will sit down with the management once the season is over."

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=370449&CPID=24&clid=&lid=&title=Thomert+weighs+up+Prem+move

13. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Addicks spying on Okkas
    By Fotis Voinikas - Created on 14 Mar 2006

Olympiakos forward Yannis Okkas has been watched by three Premiership clubs, with Charlton Athletic particularly keen on the Cyprus international.

Agent Kostas Botos has confirmed to skysports.com that Wigan Athletic and Manchester City are also trailing his client, although there is rival interest from La Liga in the shape of Osasuna.

"I have contacts with Manchester City, Charlton, Wigan and Osasuna for Yannis," Botos revealed to skysports.com.

"The player's contract with Olympiakos expires next June and these clubs are watching him.

"The story with Charlton is not something new.

"They have watched the player for months, while Manchester City, Wigan and Osasuna have come lately.

"It's too early to say more.

"For the moment, I can assure you that the player is happy to play for Olympiakos."

The 28-year-old was formerly with PAOK and AEK Athens and may be tempted by a move away from Greece if the right offer is forthcoming.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=371002&CPID=8&clid=&lid=&title=Addicks+spying+on+Okkas

---------------------------------------------------

Just checked how many goals he has scored this season, and he has scored 6 goals in 13 starts and 6 sub-appearances for Olympiakos.

14. Icarus_222

Icarus_222 New Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Toronto
    ^^ Okkas is okay. Nothing spectacular. He is fairly quick though and always seems to TRY for them.

That said he is not clinical enough.

15. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    You support AEK Athens then? They are doing good in the Greek league arent they? Last time I read they were second.

16. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Thomert admits English desire
    By Patrick Haond - Created on 14 Mar 2006

In-demand Lens attacker Olivier Thomert has admitted he could move to The Premiership in the summer.

The 25-year-old has been turning heads with a number of impressive performances in Ligue 1 and is ready to make the step up to the English elite.

Thomert only recently claimed interest from Tottenham and Manchester City, whilst Everton failed with a bid for his services in the January transfer window.

Now it appears as though Thomert has his heart set on moving to England after the conclusion of Lens' domestic campaign.

"My ambition is to play at a superior level," Thomert told But!

"I have been at Lens for four years, which is a long time.

"I'm attracted by England, which is a league that could match my qualities, but it will come in time.

"I already had opportunities to go there in the past but I could not seize them, I hope there will be new ones soon.

"For the moment I am not worried by the clubs attracted in me.

"First I want to end the season the best way with Lens and help the team to reach Europe."

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=371128&CPID=8&clid=&lid=&title=Thomert+admits+English+desire

---------------------------------------------------

17. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Agent coy over City Grav link
    By Lucas Brown - Created on 15 Mar 2006

Thomas Gravesen's agent has claimed that he knows nothing about talks between Manchester City and Real Madrid about a move for the player at the end of the season and stated that the Denmark international is happy in Spain.

Reports in the Spanish and Danish media have said that the two clubs have held several rounds of negotiations and could be close to reaching a deal for the former Hamburg and Everton midfielder.

Gravesen's representative, John Sivebaek, has denied that he knows anything about any discussions although he recognises that there are always clubs interested in his client.

"I do not know anything about Real Madrid agreeing any price for a transfer with any other club," Sivebaek told Ekstra Bladet. "I am sure that we will be the first to know and then we can see what happens.

"I will continue to follow the development of this story with a great sense of expectancy.

"There is always interest in the good players, but I can assure you that I do not know anything concrete about Manchester City and only know that Thomas is very happy playing in Madrid."

Gravesen is one of the players expected to be part of a summer clear-out by the Bernabeu club after Fernando Martin took over as president following Florentino Perez's resignation at the end of last month.

After joining Madrid in the winter transfer window last year, Gravesen has been linked with a move back to the Premiership on several occasions, but he has a contract with the Spanish giants until 2008.

Other players expected to be in the cull at the end of the season are Ronaldo, Zinedine Zidane, Roberto Carlos, Ivan Helguera, Pablo Garcia and Jonathan Woodgate.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?...lid=&lid=&title=Agent+coy+over+City+Grav+link

------------------------------------------------

18. Icarus_222

Icarus_222 New Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Toronto
    Yes we are 2nd right now.

Alas though we had a 6pt lead on Panathinaikos but that has evaporated (we're tied but ahead on head to head results). We've been drinding out results by our teeth this whole season, scoring very late (2 matchdays ago we won it on 98th minute strike). We are simply not financially capable of matching Panathinaikos and Olympiakos.....yet. ;)

19. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    There are rumours that Man City and Liverpool are battling it out for the signiture of Fulham playmaker Steed Malbranque in the summer.

20. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Pearce rejects speculation

Blues boss Stuart Pearce has set the record straight on one of the latest signing rumours to come out in the press.

Responding to Sunday newspaper gossip linking City to Aston Villa striker Milan Baros, Pearce said: "That's a new one to me. I don't know about that one."

The Manager did offer though: "We know the player's we're looking for, I know the one's I want, it's a case of hopefully the money being available to do so and we might have to be a little bit cute with one or two Bosman's."

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?p...ommonth=1&fromyear=2006&tomonth=3&toyear=2006
    --------------------------------------------------

21. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    English eyes on Espanyol star
    By Francisco Acedo - Created on 6 Apr 2006

Espanyol defender Albert Lopo, who becomes a free agent at the end of the season, has emerged as a target for a number of Premiership sides.

The 25-year-old has spent his entire career at Espanyol having come through the club's youth ranks.

A powerful centre half, he has been a virtual ever-present for the past three seasons and has enjoyed a particularly consistent campaign this term despite his side's struggles in La Liga.

His displays have clearly not gone unnoticed and his imminent availability on a free has provoked widespread interest.

Espanyol are hoping to keep hold of the player but have thus far failed to persuade him to sign a new deal.

A host of Premiership scouts have watched the imposing stopper, but Manchester City and Blackburn Rovers are understood to be leading the chase for his services.

City are likely to have been tipped off by Albert Riera who started the season with Lopo at Espanyol.

Lopo's agent Tente Sanchez is unsurprised by the interest given his client's form and insists there will also be offers on the table from other Spanish sides.

"The player has done excellently this season and the interest in him is normal," Sanchez stated. "There are also options in Spain."

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?...d=43&lid=&title=English+eyes+on+Espanyol+star
    ----------------------------------------------------

22. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    Pearce makes signings pledge
    By Chris Stanton - Created on 6 Apr 2006

Manchester City manager Stuart Pearce would like to make 'four or five' new signings this summer but insists his declaration is not a knee-jerk reaction to recent poor performances.

City's lacklustre defeat to Middlesbrough on Sunday led an angry Pearce to round on his under-performing side, threatening to cull his squad if there is another repeat before the season's end.

Pearce hopes that such drastic action does not prove necessary and would rather concentrate on bolstering a squad he concedes is short on numbers.

"I need to bring in maybe four or five, I don't necessarily think I need a clear-out. I think I need to add to the squad but I've said that all the way through the season," Pearce told Sky Sports News.

"I said last pre-season that we need to add four or five to a light squad and I stick by that now.

"For me the results are irrelevant. If we'd finished in a European place at the end of this season, I still would've said exactly the same as I'm saying now.

"I think we need four or five top hitters to come into contention for a first team place."

City have sorely missed the injured Andy Cole in recent weeks but Pearce is closing in on securing the influential striker's immediate future.

Cole and goalkeeping understudy Nicky Weaver are out of contract this summer but the manager revealed that talks over their respective futures have reached a satisfactory conclusion.

"It's all agreed, we're just waiting for Andrew to sign. We're waiting on the agent to get the paperwork organised," added Pearce.

"We're dealing with him and Weaver and as soon as that paperwork's done it'll be sorted.

"I verbally agreed an offer of a contract with Andy in early December. That remains on the table, it's been negotiated and it's all there to sign."

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?...id=43&lid=&title=Pearce+makes+signings+pledge
    -----------------------------------------------------

23. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    City linked with Itandje move
    By Alex Dunn - Created on 6 Apr 2006

Reports in France are linking Lens goalkeeper Charles Itandje with a move to Manchester City.

The 23-year-old has been linked with several English clubs in the latter part of the current campaign but speculation is now putting City at the head of the queue should he seek pastures new.

Itandje's current deal with Lens is not set to expire until 2008 and previously, he has stated that he will fulfil the remaining two years of his deal.

However, whilst claiming he is keen to remain in France with Lens, Itandje admits that long term he is looking to play on the highest stage.

''To go to a very big club is the dream of all players,'' he told L'Equipe.

''But to leave now would be unnecessary as I'd need to find a club that offers me more important objectives than the ones I already have.

''Lens have big objectives and with the exception of Lyon, none of the other teams in the league are of a superior standing.

''But also I think of the financial aspect, this is also a reason I am a pro. A career manages itself strategically not day-by-day.''

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?...d=43&lid=&title=City+linked+with+Itandje+move
    -----------------------------------------------

24. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    City scout African ace
    By Adam Marshall - Created on 10 Apr 2006

Imposing Charleroi defender Mahamadou Kere has reportedly been attracting interest from Manchester City.

The Burkina Faso powerhouse is a key figure for his country and Belgian sources claim City scouts were present at the match against Anderlecht, which finished in a 1-1 draw.

Kere is a mobile yet physical presence in the Jupiler League and, at the age of 24, may be willing to test his skills in England.

If Stuart Pearce does follow up any interest in the African ace, he would not be the first Charleroi player to sign for the Eastlands outfit.

Former boss Kevin Keegan splashed out £1.5 million on Christian Negouai back in 2001, although the midfielder had little impact at Premiership level.

Italian side Catania are also believed to be admirers of Kere's talents.

He has been a regular for the past seven seasons and is also capable of playing in midfield.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=378174&CPID=8&clid=43&lid=&title=City+scout+African+ace
    ------------------------------------------------------

25. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    Player signings? With what?
    As far as most people I know are concerned, SP has nothing really to spend, unless he sells players first. This summer could be quite interesting if this is the case, as this would mean many players having to leave first before any new signings are made. And then I expect not at great cost.
    Barton and Distin to be sold, plus Musampa not to be given a contract with the club.