Cienfuegos.

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Tyler66, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Should Galaxy great Mauricio Cienfuegos be inducted into the Hall of Fame? You could say yes for powering the league's best offensive juggernaut in his earlier years, but you could also say no for his decline as he aged.

2. elknco1

elknco1 Member

Aug 20, 2004
    i don't think decline as he aged is really a valid reason for saying no.
    everyone declines as they get old... even jordan wasn't jordan when he got old.

3. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's one of the greats from MLS so he should go in when it's time.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I can't see how he wouldn't. For eight seasons, he was a very good MLS player and his presence in the beginning of MLS was one of the key reasons why the league got off to a good start in terms of attendance.

And, unlike a lot of the early big names in MLS, Cienfuegos got the job done in the field. He's one of the 3-4 best playmakers in MLS history - I'd but Etcheverry and Valderrama 1-2 and then we can argue between Cienfugeos and Nowak for 3 - and he helped LA win MLS Cup and come in second three times, win two Shields, an Open Cup and CONCACAF while setting several MLS records for offense and winning.

He was a multiple all-star and made the Best XI several times. And, he had a pretty damn good career for El Salvador and played in Mexico for a spell, too.

Yeah, he's a Hall of Famer.

5. Evo3racer

Evo3racer New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Long Beach
    ^^^^^ cOULDNT OF PUT IT BETTER MY SELF! AMEN TO THAT! :D ;)

6. GalaxyTwo@19

GalaxyTwo@19 New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    We're talking about Cein here, nuff said. YES! Make it so number 1

7. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone who votes "no" should be banned from Bigsoccer.com for life for being a complete and total idiot...

8. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunatley there are more than two complete idiots here at BigSoccer.

9. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    They do have a valid reason for saying no. He wasnt the top the attacking mid in MLS's first decade, but the 5th best(behind Etch, Preki, Valderama, and Nowak), but that was also by far the deepest position in MLS.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

I of course voted yes. As a DC fan I went thru the same frustration with Etch his last 2 years. His decline was noticeable and a little upsetting. That did not however cancel out the brilliance he displayed in his initial years in the league.

For me there is one other question for people voting no. Do you want 3 hall of famers from those galaxy teams. Calaguiri is already in the HOF and Cobi is a lock as well. For me the answer is yes, as the Galaxy were the 2nd best team over that time period. Lalas will of course also be in, but I don't think of him as a Galaxy player. 3 isn't so much when you think of the number of DC guys that will get in from their dynasty (5? Etch, Moreno, Harkes, Agoos, certainly coach Arena, etc.)

11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, tell me about it...

12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we're talking MLS HOF, not career, I'd put him third. Valderama was already fading by the time he got here, and as awesome as Preki is, he's more of a converted forward who slid into that position to fill a need on the team. I think Cien had a lot more vision on the field. Cien in his prime completely controlled the field.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    When you say MLS HOF are you talking about the US soccer HOF in Oneonta, NY? I don't think MLS is planning their own HOF, so this is what we've got. This Hall takes into account US players as well as players in MLS, etc. So Reyna and Keller are locks, even though they may only play a short time in the league. For MLS players only their achievements while playing in the league should matter. Valderama is borderline IMO, while Cien is in.

14. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, that's what I meant to say. For the US HOF, only MLS playing time should count for Internationals like Valderrama, Nowak, Cien, etc.

Otherwise, we'd have to put L. Mattheus and H.M. Bo in there and nobody wants that...

15. stopper

stopper Member

Nov 17, 2000
    Rancho Cucamonga
    For most of us, Cien was an unknown coming into the league. We took knowledgeable people's opinion that this guy was good and hoped for the best. I was pleasantly surprised. I wish the kids that play the attacking positions for me now could get a look at Cien in the early years because that guy played the position the way God meant it to be played. God bless Cienfuegos.

(Yes, I have been drinking. It's Suds Saturday on the LARiotsquad.net boards)

16. Bayer04fan

Bayer04fan New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA,USA
    MLS should start their own MLS HOF, it needs to recognize the accomplishments MLS players have brought to the league. My vote for Cien is YES. He was the sparkplug, the field general, who may have been small, but he was a large part of the team successes, his ability to find the open spaces was second to none. He is a true professional and a world class person, that fact that he is from ES and my parents are from ES, makes me proud.
    MLS who should be in MLS HOF are Cien, Etcheberry, Lalas, Wynalda, Cobi Jones, Caligiuri, Balboa, Preki, John Doyle, Nowak, and a few others I can't spell, lol lol.