Ciao Chivas

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by thefishy, Sep 29, 2014.

1. thefishy

thefishy Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Club:
    Real Murcia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-s...uspend-operations-after-mls-seasonsources-say

If ESPNFC is to be believed, the goats will soon play their final game! I used to like them, but I'm really hoping for a new team rather than just selling the team, and with this you'll have a truly new team. Plus, spreading these players to OCSC and NYCFC it might be faster for those teams to integrate into the league and be contenders for the playoffs. Maybe, but given how well Chivas has played in the last few years, maybe not.

henryo repped this.
  2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if this is the place to really rub it in Chivas fans faces that their team is going to be no more...

3. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classy guy, thanks. /sarcasm.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that was definitely uncalled for.

5. thefishy

thefishy Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Club:
    Real Murcia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Well, as someone who ACTUALLY ROOTS for Chivas, I'm excited by the news. (By the way ciao is both a greeting and a goodbye). Why am I excited FOR Chivas? Well, this gives them an actual chance to re-start. I am afraid that playing next year, but with a new name, would not have any real effect on how the team is seen for a generation. We'd all remember them as the "old Chivas team." Now we have a chance to restart. They can be an actual 2nd team, an anti-Galaxy (my least favourite team in the west) and I can whole-heartedly root for the new LA team, who will hopefully avoid having USA in the name and feeling like a B team for a Liga MX squad. So, sorry if it sounds crass, but I think it's great for the team in the long run. (And as for this being the wrong place, this is the precise place. It's a conversation that is only about Chivas USA, and it's not the supporters section. As a fan of the team, I thought I'd avoid putting it there.)

6. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Psst, I actually root for them too, smart guy. Have you ever post on this board before? I'm all over this Chivas board. Also, I'm Italian, so... thanks for the quick language lesson. :rolleyes:

CTS26 and sodi_gar repped this.
  7. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So, which one is it?

CTS26, sodi_gar, Gameface and 1 other person repped this.
  8. thefishy

thefishy Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Club:
    Real Murcia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I like them, but they need to be restructured. I came to the conclusion a while ago, that this would be best for the team. My two statements aren't contradictory, I still root for them, especially against LAG, but doesn't mean I like the management. I hope they get a clean break.

I never said that you don't root for them. I'm just backing my own opinion, and never said you weren't on here. I am here quite frequently, but just don't post that much.

9. U.S Chiva

U.S Chiva Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Salinas California/Denver, CO
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bye bye chivas. As a long time fan, is time to let it go! :(

henryo repped this.
  10. Atomic Fury

Atomic Fury BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 30, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the Sports Illustrated piece which suggested that the club will be effectively dissolved, and the franchise will become an expansion team. I don't remember if it speculated on where the new franchise would call home. It's easy to assume it will remain in LA but you never know with MLS. Personally, I like the idea of two clubs in the City of Angels.

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new owners are apparently looking at 3 sites in and around LA according to SI. Hollywood Park, LA Sports Arena, and Downtown. But it looks like their plans for the new LA franchise are definitely to stay in LA, and LA proper if they can pull it off. They're not going to make the mistake Chivas made (one of many) in bunking with the Galaxy in Carson.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This whole scenario seems terrible not only for the fans but also for the league.

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what makes you say that. I've yet to hear from one Chivas fan that's truly sad about anything other than the 2 years off since they're going to end up with a much better team in the end.

And it's GREAT for the league to be cutting the festering problem that has become Chivas out and replacing it with something that by virtue of a new name alone will be an improvement (and they're obviously planning a bunch of other positive changes like having an actual owner, marketing plan, stadium, etc...).

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't see how 2 years without a team and uncertainty is good for anyone. We've known from experience in 2006 & 2007 just how it was to be without a team and all the emotional ups and downs and speculations. I was actually surprised to see the Quakes come back as I really didn't believe they would ever be back after they left for Houston. In early 2006, it was a big IF from many of us Quakes fans if they would or wouldn't be back. I was doubtful even in late 2007 when SJSU rejected Lew's proposal. I mean I was ecstatic when they came back but was not happy at all during that hiatus period.

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different situation though. The Quakes never should have left, and after they left there was no guarantee they'd come back, that anyone would buy a new SJ franchise etc....

Here you have new owners coming in, buying the franchise rights before this season has even ended, who have already stated they intend to bring a second LA franchise back in 2 years or so with a sorely needed new identity. There's little reason to be apprehensive like Quakes fans had and little uncertainty. LA2 will be back (the league has already turned town other cities offers etc.... And they'll be coming back a stronger franchise for it with none of the baggage that is Chivas and with their own stadium and own identity. And LA2 won't be any worse on field than Chivas already are, again unlike the Quakes who lost an MLS caliber team to have it replaced with a bunch of cast offs.

Which is again why I have yet to see a really angry or apprehensive Chivas fan. This isn't a comparable situation to what happened to the Quakes. This is a cleansing of the second LA franchise, not it's semi-permanent or indefinite death like the Quakes hiatus was at the start. But if any Chivas fans actually are worried I'd love to hear from them. I mean I'm sure they'd rather have this happen without taking 2 years off, but other than the time off there is more in common between this and KC and NY than there is with San Jose. And the 2 years off allow the league and team to put a very apparent break between them and Chivas which really was needed as there isn't much from the Chivas years they want to remember. And remember one other thing, when the Quakes left, the only other franchise ends we'd seen in MLS had been Tampa and Miami which were and remain permanent. We had little reason to hope. Chivas fans have the Quakes situation to look to with hope since we did come back after only a year and a half (in addition to LA2's new owners already stating they're coming back).

16. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    I'm a long time fan and i don't want to see them go at all. BUT, I don't want to see the current states of being of which we've reached, continue. I hate going to games or watching the TV and seeing how dismall the fan base has become. I don't Know if we just need a name change, ownership , change, new uniforms and a but load of money and we'll have instant fans. I don't know if a 2 year hiatus is enough to successfully realunch a new franchise. I only know that I'll miss my Goats. En las buenas y las malas, yo estaba y siempre estara'!

Sachsen, porque?, athletics68 and 2 others repped this.
  17. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 art, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    there is a difference, LA2 (really now a separate expansion team from chivas), has (apparently) a strong new ownership group without the albatross of the chivas usa identity, they to me are now essentially Atlanta (in their MLS status), faceless and unknown but sure to happen. San Jose is more about the brand and support which is why it has come back to life so many times between the 70s and now.

To me the more interesting thing to consider is what part of LA will this team try to/end up having to represent, by that I mean... lookat a map and drive there. no single club can represent the whole region, from a money-paying supporter sense. I think some people who have opinions but no real LA experience forget how big that bloody city is.

Gameface and USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I really hope that new management (and the USSDA) will allow the Chivas USA academy teams to continue on. More and more people are becoming aware of what a good coach Brian Kleiban is. His brother, Gary, writes an interesting blog. He points out that the Kleibans have had a hand in a bunch of current USYNT members. Chivas USA has also lost some promising players to the Galaxy because of the uncertainty surrounding Chivas USA. Once the new club is running and stable, Kleiban (assuming he's still there) will be able to recruit and retain a much larger pool of players. If that happens we'll eventually see some gifted players becoming HGs. Stay tuned...

http://blog.3four3.com/2014/10/10/u14-us-youth-national-team/

MAR2010 and USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    while i admire your passion for the team, its all over for Chivas- it was a misdirected franchise concept from the get-go and MLS must finally be relieved that it will be all over and, in 5 years, forgotten- RIP

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I remembered how initially they wanted to tap into the only Hispanic player. Thinking back I remember commenting on how there would be some sort of discriminating issues because of that. I'm sure that helped in their demise.

21. CaptainOpprobrium

Apr 16, 2006
    Any chance MLS does the decent thing and makes an official announcement on the hiatus before the last home game?

22. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If history has taught us anything, it's doubtful.

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say the chances are between slim and none. History has taught us that what you call the "decent thing" is actually a very big mistake to make. Fans often react in negative and even destructive ways when they're attending games after a folding/moving announcement has been made. Which is why leagues almost universally wait until after the season to announce things like this. Chivas won't be any different.

USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

henryo repped this.
  25. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Appropriate that the stands are empty behind them in the photo.

henryo repped this.