CHS v. ATL 6-23 (R) Southern Derby part 1

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First match of the the two game, Southern Derby. ATL holds the cup from last years push but I think we can take it back and put it in our trophy case once again.

Pre-match tailgate this Friday hosted by the Regiment. Mobius will be there as well, so stop by the lot next to the East stand gate. We should be starting around 6pm. I'll have some of Scarfs there if anyone is still interested in purchasing one.

Battery has played alot of different lineup due to injuries, players out for internationals, and suspensions. I'm hoping to see some consistancy but I have faith in the way the guys are prepared.

And don't forget the match is on FSC so bring a friend (or ten)

Battery 2 Apes 0 goal from and defender and one from lazo. hes got to convert one of those lazers from outside the box sooner or later.

Southern Derby History

2. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, drummer's bringing the cup to Charleston and it will be displayed during the game between the benches. Tried to get something more formal arranged with Fox, something may still come off. Told Andrew to invite them to the tailgate, they'd be sure to get some quality footage then.

3. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    Man, now that I can't hit the game in Atlanta, I better beg the wife to let me drive up for this one.

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, you guys just keep recycling the DC players, huh?
    :)
    Glad to see Stephen finally get on a better team, after being stuck playing for Kansas for a while, then getting injured and shunned off to Columbus.

6. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    Dude,

I have so many flex pass tickets left I need to use them rather than using the free give away. Doesn't look like I will be headed up there this go around. I need to sit down with a schedule and figure out when I am going to make it back up there.

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soon I hope

mikey

8. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bribe Taker-- Nice little coverage for you at interval. Get a hiarcut!

9. Doooooley!

Doooooley! New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    I don't post here often, but I am a Battery fan.
    That was the most pitiful loss I've ever seen since the days at Stoney field. How can you allow not one, but TWO players get behind you in the box in the very last minute of the match!????
    We so outplayed Atlanta tonight and end up with crap. Why was Hollingsworth on the bench until 5 minutes left in regulation? Wow Auggie, this is another disappointing season.
    Tony, Nigel, y'all need to do something or this season is lost.

10. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brook --- Bite me.

11. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mrs Bribe Taker must be saying the same thing, eh?!

12. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    This is still early on in the season, but I'm getting worried. Last year we had a new coach, lots of young players, and not very many quality players so I didn't expect much. This season we have good players - many with high level experience, and we're still not getting the results we should. Something needs to be done.

13. SC71

SC71 Member

May 30, 2004
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Dooley for being candid. I wish the Battery would get their crap straight. What's up with the dial-a-rotation lineup?

14. Doooooley!

Doooooley! New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    As a Jeff Gordon fan, I'm seeing some eerie parallels to the last few years. Both used to always be a dangerous factor to any race/match. A few championships and perennially in the top 3.
    Now, no one fears either Jeff or the Battery. Hendrick hired one of his young guys (only 26) as the crew chief and he just ain't cutting it. The Battery bring in one of "our guys", an outstanding player, but with little coaching experience. He's not getting the job done, either.
    I don't know anyone who loves his footie more than Tony Bakker, so I truly expect to see some changes with the organization, either in the coaching staff or players.
    Hopefully, I'm still in frustration mode from last night and this isn't as big a deal as I'm making it. I know you guys know a lot more about the Battery than I do. What do we do to right the ship?

Any suggestions? Comments?

15. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What position would you like to have Hollingsworth subbed into?

It was the general consensus of everyone in the area, that he did not follow his man back down the sideline. This included a former college team mate of his too.

16. Doooooley!

Doooooley! New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    I thought Daley had played a great match, but he looked exhausted by around the 75th minute or so. Even though he only has one goal this season, he has proven to be a good scoring threat.
    You certainly can't blame him for the boneheaded defensive lapse that caused us the match.

17. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

especially since he was subbed out in the 86 min.;)

I thought the Battery controlled the majority of that game and minus the lapse at the end, did quite well. We by far had the better of the chances and a couple ATL players made the comment on how lucky they were to pull that one out at the end after the match.

there a couple game that I feel should have been won and I hope it doesn't bite us in the rear, but I feel we have a good team.

Now on to a convencing result against Sonoma county Sol.

mikey

18. Kubby

Kubby Member

Apr 28, 2004
    What are some of the salaries for USL First Division players? I have no idea, so any help is appreciated.

As for the Battery, they are closer to the bottom than the top once again for eighth place of 12 teams.

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Salary are quite the topic. some teams offer housing and vehicle deals as part ot he contract. I think the highest I can confirm was aroun $75K I would think Montreal and Rochester have pretty high salarys.

most guys still have roommates and not many are driving flash cars, but I would think that it is probaly a bit higher than the MLS min. But players are still allwoed to sublimnet there USL income with camps, coaching, and playing indoors

As for th standing Im not too worried we have four games in hand and we are only 5 point behind one of th teams tied for first place. PR ha 12 of there next 14 match on the road tey haveonly wond 4 of there previous 30 road matches. Montreal and Rochester will be right there at the top.

Another couple weeks and Ill start worring.

Mikey

20. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not worried yet but I see warning signs. At the beginning of the year, we had a lively, varied attack. Now, it's the same old knock it wide and then heave it over the top and attack down the wing. When we do get a cross in we only have 1 or 2 players in the box. At the beginning of the year we had 4-5 waiting. We almost never attack down the middle and it seems our offense has really slowed down. We're too predictable.