Chryslergate?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by MtMike, May 28, 2009.

1. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Well, at least you do some things right.
    Specific industries that warrant it? Like?
    I did. Fighting inflation is really difficult when it is running away. Often it takes high interest rates and a lot of time. But there is nothing that fights inflation as well as this...in other words, her efforts to fight inflation with higher interest rates were better than any other thing she could have done at the time.
    I fail to see how your graph shows anything about the cause of the 1981-82 recession.

That has nothing to do with supporting Bush. See...the Republican party is home to thousands of our countries leaders...not just Bush. A donation to the party is not the same as a donation to Bush.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Generally health and safety ones like installing gas or electrical appliances. You have to be approved by the relevant bodies like the Gas installers assoc. or whatever it's called. Running cinemas and other places where people can gather, (care homes and so on), again, because of safety concerns.

I had a consumer credit license for many years when I was running my computer rental company, the thinking being that you wouldn't want certain people, (loan sharks, the mafia, etc.), offering credit terms to people and then using violence, threats or intimidation to get it back again.

But essentially, you can start a business over here as a sole trader or partnership offering, say, computer advice or whatever, without a government license. You can also trade, buying and selling things without a license.

There are the usual requirements that you have to keep records of your business for tax purposes but as long as you comply with them nobody can come along and say, 'You can't do that any more'.

PS. Actually, thinking about it, you probably do have to have some sort of agreement from the environmental health people to be a barber or hairdresser. I dunno.... I've never been a hairdresser. :D

PPS. Yes, you do as it turns out... health and safety and all that. :)

http://www.startinbusiness.co.uk/flowchart/8flowchart_lisences.htm

Anyway, fact still remains that there is no general requirement for a license to run a business.

3. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were you for the concept of TARP?

If you were, then you were for the cluster that it became. If you didn't think it would, then you're lying to yourself.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's unmitigated bullshit, and even Reagan's supporters agree. Hell, it's one thing I give Reagan credit for!!!

Under Reagan, the Fed intentionally triggered that recession in order to tame inflation. And it worked (with an assist from the Iraq-Iran war.)

Leave it to you to fail to give Reagan credit for his greatest accomplishment. ;)

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Thank you Dave, this means all those posts aimed at educating you weren't wasted. ;)

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Was I for the concept of TARP? I'm not even sure what that means. Perhaps you can expand.

I believed something needed to be done to prevent us from falling into a financial abyss.

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you were for a bailout then? That's what I meant. So then you were for a cluster of a bailout, including it going in directions you didn't want it to go.

I don't think you have a right to complain.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Sorry, but doing nothing last October would have been insane and set off an economic meltdown. I think you'll find people on both the left and right that will agree with that.

Given that, I think there is plenty of room to complain about how TARP money is being spent.

9. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think of the political spectrum as a straight line, so can't relate, sorry.

No, there isn't. You had two choices in October:

1) Oppose a bailout.

2) Support a cluster.

There was never going to be any middle ground. It was always going to be a mess.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Sorry, but do you really believe nothing needed to be done back in Oct. 2008?

11. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If by something, you mean "massive printing of money by the federal government so that George W. Bush and Barack Obama can give some to their favored incompetent companies and massively increase federal power", then no.

Maybe I would have supported taking all the money we were going to waste in Iraq and Afghanistan in the next year or so and instead spending it here to improve infrastructure or something, but that wasn't happening.

So you thought something needed to be done so much that it didn't matter what that something was?

12. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Semantics. Carter and Nixon caused the inflation...I guess Reagan could have decided to not raise interest rates and reign it in, but stagflation would be much worse.