Christmas Time: MP3 Player Reviews

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Chicago1871, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    I'm not sure about other players but the one I mentioned (Archos Multimedia) has the capability to do line-in recording straight to the player. I've done it few times and was surprised by the quality as they were almost as good as the recordings I've done on my PC with SoundBlaster Audigy2 card. All you need to do is connect the line-in jack which they include with accessories from source to player, select Record on main screen, set source to Analog, choose quality (upto 320 kbps and 48 kHz), press Start and Rename the track/artist/album on screen (still no need for PC) after the session is done. If I start to list all the features (more than any hyped players) available it will look like I'm advertising here for them :).

It's really the best $270 I've spent in years.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v338/USsoccerfan22/?action=view&current=210233d.jpg

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Interesting - I have a tape I'm converting and I did it once from a crappy walkman to my Mac and the quality is so-so when listened to on my Ipod (and really bad from a stereo), but I'm going to try again from a stereo deck and using the software you can buy for conversion from Mac (some third party software). I guess now that you mention you can probably also do it direct to the I-pod, but I assumed the quality would suffer.

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I overheard a guy on the subway recommending this Philips player to some strangers, and he was talking about how he converted his LP collection to mp3. I obviously can't vouch for the quality, but it might be worth a look.

4. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.

what program are you using to upload songs? and how fast does it do it?

also how easy is it to change playlists?

5. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    I'm debating between the dell and the zen micro.

what program do you like best for uploading your music to it? how fast is it?

6. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    I have a 20 Gb Dell DJ, and I have to say I like it better then my friends. I use MusicMatch to upload music, and it couldnt be easier. Just drag to the screen and it shouldnt take more then 5 seconds.

7. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    How about just connecting the player to the computer with a USB 2.0 cable? It should read it as another drive..go to my computer, find the drive and then drag and drop.

8. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    How bout you just get an ipod and use itunes :)

I think honestly the issue with doing what your saying Metro is then the player may act as a hard drive and think the files are data. I think music match / itunes actually work with the OS on the player to help it tell the difference, so it puts them on as music.

9. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
  10. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for all the suggestions here.

My research came down to two choices. Either a iPod-mini (hard-drive based) or the Creative MuVo N200 MP3 player (flash memory based). I ended up with the flash-based player for two reasons.

#1) It is going to be used mostly for jogging, and I wasn't sure a hard-drive based player would survive being dropped during a run.

#2) The Creative had a in-line recording capability that I wanted.

Both were compatible with audible.com (books on tape) files, but this excluded other good options like the iRiver MP3 players and some mentioned here.

Here is a link to what I got. It is only 8 onces and about the size of a lighter. It's the smallest player that I've seen.

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=215&product=10737

11. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not use the "in" jack on your sound card? Then use some audio editing software to remove hiss and add eq? Then convert to smaller files.

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Smaller than the I-Pod Shuffle? It looks like it's more expensive (although Shuffle doesn't have a screen). I wonder if managing the music is as easy as in I-tunes.