Christine Latham waived by the breakers?

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by geewizzz, Feb 20, 2010.

1. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Just saw this on twitter. I hvae no idea if it is true. I guess she didn't get her green card then.

2. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    link?? source??

I just checked every website and twitter contact I've got and I've heard nothing about this....

We don't need to free up an international slot unless we sign another foreigner....so her green card status shouldn't matter..

3. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

Sep 4, 2008
    I only asumed it was so because Gerry Malone Sky Blue FC GM had tweeted it to someone.

@CanadaSoccerEN Latham was waived by Boston Breakers yesterday - FYI about 9 hours ago from TweetDeck in reply to CanadaSoccerEN

4. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a SPA podcast earlier this week Tony said that a player transaction was coming but couldn't say yet. I guess this is at least part of it.

With Latham gone and Nobis out for the season this changes things around the locker room. But the depth on the bench is getting pretty light up top.

5. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see it now...too bad!

It's pretty weak that the SkyBlue GM is announcing one of our players being waived before the Breakers or WPS do....

What's the deal with that Andy???

6. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    First we had OCNN - Ochocinco News Network - and now apparently we have the Sky Blue News Network. That's not an official transaction on the league website nor has it been formally announced by the Breakers and it is our transaction after all.

If a rival league exec chooses to tweet what he sees on the waiver wire before it is public knowledge - whatever, I don't consider that an arms race of information that I need to take part in. We make our own announcements at our own pace. I don't break Sky Blue transactions on my Twitter account, but then again, I'm also not engaged in a "Twitter War" to generate followers at the moment and he is, so maybe I'm just not in the proper competitive mindset.

Anyway...yes, Christine Latham was put on waivers on Friday. You will see a formal announcement in the next day or two, because as RevsFan1 has surmised there will be a simultaneous announcement of the addition of a new international.

Andy

7. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So why wasn't this info made public knowledge in the first place? All the other major sports leagues have a transparent approach when it comes to these issues.

8. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have seen posted about the league, it has something to do with the absence of a collective bargaining agreement between the league and the players. That is why their is a vail of secrecy about certain things in the league, where other leagues which do have an agreement can make certain things public knowledge. Not sure if this necessarily applies specifically to this situation, but it has been explained as the reason why contract terms are not disclosed.

9. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I think he needs to sort out how to have some tweets private. And not call Donovan Landycakes in public--Malone is a soccer GM not a random fan (and I don't know what game he was watching but in the Everton win vs ManU, Donovan was quite good--Malone called him invisible....)

11. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Wonder where that came from...

12. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    from the league office:

After a team files a waiver with the league office, there is a 24-hour window where any WPS team can claim the waived player. If no other team claims the player, the player has cleared waivers and is a free agent. In nearly all cases, the transaction is announced after the 24-hour window has expired once it's determined whether another team has claimed the player or the player has passed through waivers and is a free agent.

13. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a shame. I have enjoyed watching her over the years. She had a high level of passion and certainly wasn't afraid to get physical.

14. Texas Gator

Texas Gator New Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    March 9, 2010: The Atlanta Beat added Christine Latham and released Jill Hutchison, Amanda Poach, Shaneka Gordon and Kasey Langdon from its preseason camp.

15. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Where did you see that she was released because of green card problems? WAS that the reason? And what about Sharolta Nonen? Any clue there?

17. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of why she was released by the Breakers was that they needed the international slot. Obtaining a green card eliminates that. Granted, other factors were at play in Latham's release by the Breakers as Tony told us at Meet the Coach.

18. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    What factors were that? Did that factor into Atlanta's releasing her? And any news about Sharolta Nonen's release? Thanks!

19. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony didn't feel like she was fit especially compared with the pool of rookie talent brought in from the draft. As for the news from the Beat, I am completely unsure why they released whom they released.