Christianity and Football

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by TheCopperSheik, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I am considering writing a paper on the negative effects of Christianity on the game of football. Most notably the hatred between some clubs and nations based on religious differences. Christianity has a long and storied history of wars, bigotry, discrimination, violence, and blatant hypocritical followers.

What are some of your experiences with Christianity and football?

2. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    1. We are not going to discuss Religion and merits of religion, keep this football related and it's all good. I will close this thread and certain people have been warned already about baiting/trolling- so if this gets personal and awful there will also be bans to those that have been warned and warnings for those that haven't already.
    2. I don't think this topic, nor your paper, should be squarely focused on Christianity and the sects within Christendom (Catholics vs. Protestants vs. Etc) There has been issues elsewhere in the world, notably Turkey and the middle east, where you have had football related issues relating to Islamic Sects vs each other and Islamic vs Christian issues. I'd also state that limiting your paper to religious debates is limiting as there are other factors (political, racial, etc) that cause strife, not just religious beliefs.
    3. My experiences have been this. When I was first able to start going to the Rangers Supporters clubs to watch games prior to becoming either wealthy enough to afford Setanta at home or savvy enough net wose to find streams of games, I was shocked at the "expats" at the club and shite they spewed at the images of Martin O'Neil and Neil Lennon etc during Auld Firm games. No Matter where you were born and how you were raised bigotry doesn't fly with me. I promptly stopped going to the particular RSC and found one that was a little more accepting and less abusive. I actually sat next to a Shellick supporter during one OF Match and we had a good bit of friendly banter whilst watching the match. I doubt very much many of these hardcore bigots that have such strong views actually attend church, or practice what they preach. They're just so twisted up in the events during the troubles in the UK from whenever till today. You can't tell the difference between an Irish Catholic or Irish Jew or Irish Protestant by looking at them can you? We're all human right? And the basic tenets of Christianity (and Islam) is love- I don't see how bigoted "religious" worldviews have a) Anything to do with football, and b) are in keeping with said "practicing religion"

That's about it. Football rivalries are more benign etc here and I haven't been abroad to take in matches, so my experience is limited whereas my thoughts on the matter are not.

GatewayRSC repped this.
  3. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Threatening to close the thread is a bit much' this really isn't a trolling attempt at all.

We have pastors and ministers all over our city still saying with a straight face the following:

universe is 6000 years old

over 100,000 mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, insects, etc lived on a boat for a year; and then magically survived on a planet with no vegetation left after the devastation. And some how didn't eat each other even though certain species are dependent on eating other species. And of course they all somehow trekked thousands of miles from all parts of the globe to get to this boat, and somehow survived in an environment that would kill their species in many cases.

multiple spoken languages were not created until some tower was built and it pissed off God (which is dwarfed by much of what we have to day)

we will all burn for eternity for not following exactly what they tell us

4. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    And then in an instant, what could have been a good conversation went quiet.