Christian Pulisic Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'd like to see Willian agree to a 2 yr deal at which point they should likely turn to defense since Timo and Z are yet to bed in. Now seems the right time to build for a 2022 team.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    There's no vaccine for the "common cold".

3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    ?

True

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I've heard Chilwell and Nathan Ake mentioned as potential targets to bolster Chelsea's defense.

5. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4855 Burr, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    There was a SARS vaccine that was basically done. But by the time they got to the last phase of testing, it was already gone. So we actually succeeded but never needed it. I'm pretty confident we'll have one for COVID-19 eventually as it doesn't mutate that quickly unlike HIV. And the reason we don't have vaccine for the common cold coronaviruses is because there's so many of them and they aren't exactly deadly.

Even without one though, just looking at the previous hotspots the virus seems to burn itself out a lot quicker than the basic herd immunity calculations would expect. Something's going on there and it's not just the lockdowns. Of course that doesn't rule out subsequent waves depending on how long natural immunity lasts.

Eighteen Alpha and Bajoro repped this.
  6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yeah, it spreads incredibly quickly but there's something about who is susceptible to it that we don't understand.

Most recent news is very good out of initial vaccine results -- some of the earliest vaccines are reporting some very strong initial immune responses. The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is on pace to be released this year.

Burr repped this.
  7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    He might be. I'm not sure why I should give a shit, though.
    No offense.

Patrick167 and Cynical US fan repped this.
  8. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he wasn't fast enough when he pushed up at LB and got burned in our 4-1 victory in the Nations League...

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's called summer.

I bet the virus adapts itself to us faster than we have a working vaccine though. Hopefully by next fall (Northern hemisphere) it will be much milder, already.

10. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4860 Burr, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Someone forgot to tell the 40 states it's spiking in right now that it's summer, though.

Most of the vaccines are targeting the spike protein that it uses to enter our cells. If the virus mutates that, it very likely won't be able to infect us any more anyway, so there's a lot of evolutionary pressure on its end to keep that consistent. But yes there is hope that it might evolve to be weaker on its own. The more "successful" viruses don't kill their hosts, after all.

Anyway I'm not sure it'll be that easy to game the transfer market as this whole situation is still greatly in flux. The countries that handle it better might have more buying power than those that don't if they able to bring fans back in before others.

russ, laxcoach and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Florida, Texas and California account for half the new positives.

Hopefully it will warm up soon in these traditionally frigid states.

SteelyTom, laxcoach and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Popped into a cafe on my way to work to pick up a coffee and a muffin.

Neither the young girl who served me or the visible kitchen staff were wearing masks.

Duly reported to New York State via their website.

13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not summer inside the bars and restaurants.

14. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    I think your sarcasm meter needs to be recalibrated... :rolleyes:

15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    dutchess county is pretty much a red state....

16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was Ulster, and these aren't r**n*** types, they are stereotypical Millennials.

Ulster has been solidly Democratic since a massive swing in 1992, though it can be very rural.

russ repped this.
  17. GoBigBlue88

GoBigBlue88 Member+

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Another MOTM-or-close-enough caliber performance today.

To truly be in the "top XX in the world" convo, Pulisic still needs to work on 1) quick window shooting accuracy (his finishing is terrific; his placement from 10+ yards out not as much) and 2) continuing to refine his moves in the box so he's a bit less predictable.

As is -- his trajectory is as bright as anyone's in the game. It's been said here, but credit Lampard for managing him near perfectly. I know we all had our questions at one point, but I'll be damned if Lampard hasn't unlocked the total confidence factor in Pulisic. Makes me wish his was our nat'l coach...

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Would be nice if he also added some goals against Mexico and Costa Rica.

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Pulisic plays at such a breakneck pace that he gets into great shooting positions but rushes his shots. When he had time to think on that long steal and breakaway he did fine. When he darts right up to goal it’s a reaction goal. But the longer shots afters he’s made a slalom run he sometimes has an extra split second to be more calm on his shot. Once (see not if [emoji1]) he gets that down he vault up even one more level.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's basically what happened with BWP in his second season at the Red Bulls.

21. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'm going to take this time to state that my reaction to Puli moving to Chelsea was "bad move" was very incorrect.

Also, on the Puli's shooting. I think the biggest thing for the time being is to focus on keeping it on frame. His breakaway against ManCity, totally belies that, as it was perfectly placed.

But, I think that when he's striking the ball with some power, he misses the goal too many times. Tries to be too precise. Like, he'd rather just miss altogether than have the keeper get a hand on it.

Hazard comparisons aside, it sure seems like Puli is getting rave reviews by the English soccer media.

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a large part of his improvement is Frank playing him at LW.

It was always his better position.

That was one of my complaints about BVB. They stunted Puli but playing him mostly on the right.

23. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So I am not the only one that is thinking he might someday be in the Ballon d'or conversation? I mean he is already at about the highest level there is. Per minutes played he is already at or near top ten of the PL in most measured categories.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    .....and playing the ball up the right side with Willian at rw

Actually Frank was quoted in media as saying they are working on Pulisic's wing game so he can become a great winger and create goals from the wing.

That doesn't sound like he values him much as a winger, does it?

25. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Give him three years with a free buyout after the second year if he goes to an MLS club. He's said he wants to play in MLS and he will get a much better deal with MLS in two years than he will in three. It makes no sense letting him go for free when it will cost serious money to replace what he offers to the team.