Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Chuk is not just a one trick pony, but also a turnover machine.

He's no threat to Pulisic's playtime. The only thing that can prevent Pulisic from getting on the field is injury

2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chuk is so one dimensional and somewhat out of his league, that if Leao gets sold and Puli replaces him at LW, Milan need to buy a new RW.

I think all that likely happens.

3. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chuk reminds of when Puli was back at Dortmund and very early Chelsea. A bit of one trick pony and turnover machine at times. Obviously the biggest difference is Puli was a lot younger than Chuk is now. Puli’s game has grown leaps and bounds since then.

usnroach repped this.
  4. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    probably cross threading but I do wonder about Milan signing Gio on loan as another AM to throw in the mix … although is scares me to have too many Americans on one club.

dams repped this.
  5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Puli was always good in combination. His vision was there from the start. Chuk doesnt seem to have much vision. HUGE difference.

Pl@ymaker, ChicagoVT, dams and 6 others repped this.
  6. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I would add he also actually tries to play defense now and that is new for him since he was used as a fullback in BVB days and he said F playing defense. From then on he only played token defense unless he was chasing his turnover. Now he is playing defense with same commitment and focus as when he is on the ball.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    From SempreMilan:

Stellar performance from Pulisic

In the absence of Rafael Leao, Pulisic took charge on the left flank, scoring a technically brilliant goal. His control, dribbling past multiple defenders, and eventual finish past the goalkeeper highlighted his significant role in Milan’s attack and his ability to step up when needed

He has now bagged five goals for the Rossoneri and once Leao is back, he will be able to impress on the right flank once again. Samuel Chukwueze, whom we will get to below, has not had the same success as the American.

One step forward, two steps backwards for Chukwueze

Chukwueze’s fluctuating form is becoming a concern. Despite a promising display and a great goal against Dortmund, his performances in the league matches have been lacklustre. And yesterday was no different.

His struggle to maintain consistency and challenge for a starting spot, especially in comparison to Pulisic’s form, raises questions about his role in the team. There will be time for him to regain confidence, but Milan also cannot afford to wait for too long.

The Atalanta clash could be his last proper chance in a while, with Milan hoping to have Leao back for the big game against Newcastle.

8. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... I don't see a ton of similarities between the two other than that they are each fast and physically slight wingers. I totally agree w/ your assessment but IMO, the biggest difference between the two is that CP has skill w/ both feet and Chuk is woefully inadequate w/ his right.

adam tash and DCU1984 repped this.
  9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    puli has never been a turnover machine in his entire career

ChicagoVT, ebbro and lmorin repped this.
  10. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was at the beginning for Chelsea under Lampard. He was actually not in the squad for a couple games at that time because he was a bit of a liability. But no, he never had a long run of being a turnover machine.

Anyway, dribbling into traffic too much and not finding a good outlet was often a criticism in his earlier years before the ‘post Covid Pulisic’ showed up. Lack of vision, if you will.

Finding some similarities between playing style doesn’t mean they are the same caliber players.

russ, dark knight and usnroach repped this.
  11. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    At halftime I was thinking to myself how great CP was playing. I couldn't think of a single play that he did something "bad". He had some crosses that didn't hit targets, but they weren't necessarily bad crosses, just not perfect. Plus, he wasn't playing conservatively either - when he had his man isolated, he was beating him for speed and getting to the endline. Then he scored that wonder-goal. Just a monster performance.

Namdynamo, adi21, RunthePoint and 8 others repped this.
  12. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    15 months ago appoo predicted what we're seeing with CP vs Chuk. CP has become a more sophisticated, nuanced player that is very hard to play against. He is not blindly taking players on 1v1, but is still capable of doing it when appropriate. Chuk on the other hand, may be better at 1v1 duels, but because it's the only thing he tries, it's easy to defend until he does something completely amazing every 4-5 games like he did against Dortmund.

I wish appoo posted more, guy knows what he's talking about.

zanderbz, Namdynamo, RunthePoint and 7 others repped this.
  13. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    I have wondered the same thing but also thought it might be too many yanks.

I think you are also correct if you are suggesting that Milan lack some creativity in the midfield.

14. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without in an in-form RLC, they're not very threatening in the midfield

Mt Stone@, DCU1984 and ChicagoVT repped this.
  15. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Speaking of which, what has happened to Reijnders? He looked like a real offensive creative force for the first 4 or 5 matches, then nothing. He has not really been good since. Was it a change in tactics that didn't suit him? Defenses adjusting to him in ways he and Pioli haven't handled well?

ChicagoVT and wsmaugham repped this.
  16. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    85% passing and 2 key passes on 50 touches to go along with that wonder goal. A very good performance. I am really liking his marauding runs through the midfield and he continued that in this one... at one point pulling out lovely Cruyff turn to evade defenders.

wsmaugham, dark knight, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  17. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    He's now playing further away from goal, which is a good thing. He has no final product, but his work rate is really good in a deeper role.

18. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    To my eye he has been less impactful (positively) as time goes by

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Pioli shows some understanding …

“According to what was reported by Peppe Di Stefano live on Sky (via MilanNews), Pioli has granted an additional day of rest to those players – for example like Christian Pulisic – who in the last period have been used with more frequency and continuity.”

RunthePoint, abw, schrutebuck and 3 others repped this.
  20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic is showing lots of flashes this year about looking like his old self with lightning quick moves again added to more nuance. Next he needs to start being more consistent in those type of games. It seems like after a good game he's exhausted in the next especially if it's the second in a week.

21. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone has finally told him to work on, and employ, his short passing game to include the other attackers in the offensive thrusts. And, those other attackers have been "encouraged" to keep abreast of CP and make themselves more available to small group attacks. Seems as if this is the first time I've seen it in his club career. I think it's a benefit of having a manager who can see what CP should be capable of doing well rather than simply what he does well. He's been pigeonholed by prior coaches who have failed to encourage him to play at a higher standard, a more sophisticated level, and to display his soccer brain. I love it!

That goal against Frosinone was a highlight reel wonder showing absolute world class technical ability from dropping that arriving ball perfectly while running a high speed, then fending off 3 defenders trying to put him off stride, to finishing with such a thoughtful, classy shot. It goes on my list of top goals of all time.

zanderbz, Namdynamo, adi21 and 9 others repped this.
  22. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It didn't exactly take Sven Mislintat's eye for soccer talent to make that prediction. That being said. I am pretty sure appoo has a connection to CP's circle.

Our lad does not hide his feelings very well and it had been clear that he was not happy at CFC for some time. I also think Pioli sees CP as CP sees himself as a true 10. This transfer was critical for him to be able to raise the ceiling on his game, and he has clearly done that. He has always been at his best on the move or in the half spaces without respect to the side of the field he is starting from.

Pioli is looking for ways to get him on the ball in those spots and I think it is because of that he is enjoying so much success. He is very limited as a chalk on the boots player. As a guy in space with the ball on his foot he can be lethal and change the game in a blink of an eye.

Forza Milano!

adi21 and Pegasus repped this.
  23. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Sterling
    Grealish
    Sancho
    Mount

All are paid way more than CP. Which would you take over him at the moment? Grealish, sure, if you need to kill off a game. But other than that?

24. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Agreed, but I would bet that CP is happier with his career right now than most or all of those others. Money is only part of equation, especially when the guy on the low end is still getting paid a few million per year.

25. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    I don’t like to be one of those that beats the “Yank tax” drum, but you can’t deny the nationality of at least one of those guys helped lead to a large overpayment (Mount).
    The UK pundits agree that Grealish is a very good player, and he did help them win the treble. But many still do not think he is worth that crazy price tag City paid, and now he is coming off the bench.
    I can understand the large Sancho contract, just based on the way he was tearing it up for Dortmund. But certainly that has not panned out thus far.
    it is interesting to wonder what CP’s rating and contract would be if he were English.