Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Story of Milans season, injuries to CBs and mistake after mistake from the back 4 leading to goals.

Puli had some nice moments. His side was overloaded most of the first half but once Chukwueze scored Puli got more time and had some nice passes.

Am starting to think Pioli gets fired soon though

LouisianaViking07/09 and adam tash repped this.
  2. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    I’m sure I’ll get some disagreements on this, but the sad thing about this result today is that I think you could make a strong argument this was actually one of Pulisic’s best games he’s ever played at club level. I’ll post the stats later. But even without a goal or assist, he has barely put a foot wrong today. And I think the stats and eye test back that up.

won’t matter in a loss like this, though.

3. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Nah, sad thing for me is that it puts them at real risk of missing all European competition. They're in dead last on GD now and must beat Newcastle in Newcastle to even qualify for Europa League (and that's only because Newcastle gave up a last second penalty to PSG). I expected AC Milan to make a run this year and that is not happening, they got a group of death and it's played like it with pretty much everyone stepping on a rake at sometime in the group, but Milan is the one on the outside looking in. I thought Milan would win this one at home, and make all of it turn on pulling off a draw in the group stage finale, but now they're just screwed unless they pull off an upset. Seems like a stretch.

4. mattjens

mattjens Member

United States
    Jun 2, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is Milan definitely out of the Champions League, regardless of the result against Newcastle? Or is there a way they could still advance to the knock outs?

I thought Pulisic played well today, but Milan has just been ravaged this season by injuries and suspensions, and don't have the depth to withstand it.

5. bittercask

bittercask Member

Dec 25, 2020
    Not sure about that. He definitely had a handful of turnovers even while playing the game mostly conservative, and he was pocketed the first 35min or so. He had 2 good passes at the end of the first half and a few when the game was already over. During the game he would often would try to cut inside, see a lane blocked or couldn't beat the 1v1 on speed, and cycle it back - hence the pass accuracy probably being high.

6. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    NO they are not.

They are technically still in it.

They need to beat Newcastle away AND Dortmund need to beat PSG.

7. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    That’s good news. But odds are stacked against them, they’ll need a legendary performance to beat an angry Newcastle at St James Park, and with all their injuries and lack of finishing, it is just such a long shot. But rooting for them.

8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    They need a miracle to get through

9. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good effort from Pulisic today influential but just didn't have the killer moment. Dortmund defended well. Milan probably deserved a draw, both non PK goals could have been saved. Goalie should have saved one.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Sure hope he gets at least a goal before they get knocked out. He's earned that.

NorcalHockeyhooligan repped this.
  11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In my opinion, CP had a decent first half with a couple of "wow" moments, but that's it. The second half was rather "meh" for him as BVB dominated large portions of the 2nd half of the match and CP, Loftus Cheek and Giroud were rather neutralized.

12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion, that assessment is pretty inaccurate.

He got off to a slow start. Didn't have a sense when to push and when to pull back. Didn't get going until the last 10 minutes. That's when the wow moments came.

And the entire 2nd half he was the engine for Milan. He was secure with the ball, while driving at the defense, and creating for others especially. Can't finish for them. And the sidewinder attempt was special. Too bad it got blocked on the way thru.

Good game. Maybe not one of his best, as was claimed. But there's a reason Pioli left him on the entire way.

dark knight repped this.
  13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Engine for Milan? Milan had no engine in the second half aside from a couple "moments". Not sure that is the "win" you think it is.

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Perhaps not, but Pulisic’s effort and determination in adverse circumstances were encouraging. In several closeups you could (almost) see him mouthing the words, “I think I can, I think I can!”

Winoman, Casper, RunthePoint and 2 others repped this.
  15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milan had 2.1 XG to Dortmund's 1.8. It was Milan's 3rd highest XG on the season, and best in the UCL. They didn't have problems creating. Pulisic was the engine for that the last 55 minutes. There is individual pride for that. His performance deserved a goal or assist. Can't finish for others.

Namdynamo, acima, smokarz and 3 others repped this.
  16. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Probably a reason why I don’t pay much attention to XG, as despite some decent chances it never felt to me like Milan was really in the game. Pulisic was good again individually, I agree with that, but then again it wasn’t enough to turn the tide.

17. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Prior to Milan’s 2nd half meltdown following the CB injury and BvB’s 2nd goal, there were large spells of the match when they were constantly on the front foot and creating chances in the box - it’s just the same old story for them all season, no one is putting their chances away.
    Not sure how you concluded they were never in it, unless you just watched the last 35 minutes or so.

I do wonder if Giroud scores that penalty in the first few minutes, it becomes a different outcome. But BvB was likely to score at some point, Milan’s back line is just not reliable enough.
    I don’t think Maignan is as bad as a keeper as some on here do, but he did have a shocker yesterday.

Namdynamo and mattjens repped this.
  18. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Because Milan isn’t very convincing at holding leads, and not only did they not lead in this game, the quality of the chances wasn’t such that I thought it was likely they would gain the lead.

19. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    I saw a few quality chances from Milan, namely Pulisics cross to the far post at the end of the first half for an open header that was fluffed. Not sure you and I watched the same match, but I think we can agree that the bottom line is Milan was just not good enough and if we are being honest does not really deserve to advance.

20. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    We watched the same match, no need for snippy cliches.

21. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Milans issue going forward has beena. Lot of bad luck. Giroud you are banking on one moment of brilliance a game but otherwise you're playing down a man. Jovic hasn't given anything. Okafor has honestly looked the best of anybody who plays the 9 but he's hurt. You also have the non 9s who have had bad luck with finishing (namely Reijnders)

The theory is as long as you keep getting into position to score the goals will come

22. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    I was trying to say that we just had different interpretations of what we saw, and find common ground in the fact that Milan was just not good enough on the day. You said no need to be snippy, then replied with a snippy jab. Nice. No need to take it personally.

and maybe you should pay a little more attention to Xg, Milan did have good chances.

23. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I’ll ignore XG even more after this exchange.

24. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Wonderful, I’m sure it will lead to even more brilliant analysis

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Milan's Backs+Keeper continue to be no-quite-good-enough for their ambition. They could also score a bit more, but the defense seems to be fairly consistently too inconsistent.