Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    To be fair to Leao, tho, Milan with the Leao goal get 1 point.

usnroach and smokarz repped this.
  2. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Or even 3

freisland repped this.
  3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, that was supposed to read “without” but my proofreading skills, had I even bothered to proof, are non-existent.

dspence2311 repped this.
  4. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    You were probably distracted by feelings of empathy for Chelsea fans. Or is it pity? Let’s split the difference and call it “empity.”

smokarz and freisland repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Or, in the case of this post, “pithy.”

Dervos and dspence2311 repped this.
  6. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Even more poetically, when I typed that post it autocorrected to “empty.“

freisland repped this.
  7. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Klinsmann back at it

Attached Files:

freisland, superdave and ebbro repped this.
  8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I see CFC is still a mid table team after spending all that billion $

9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    For those keeping track, Pulisic got a touch in the box this week and is up to four touches in the box in five league matches this season. Leao leads the team with 33. Pulisic used to average six or so per match with Chelsea when things were going relatively well there.

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    This is absurd. What do you know about how the team is setting up? The left and right side are not necessarily symmetrical. Maybe Pioli asks CP to play slightly deeper. But keeping track of touches in the box as an isolated stat means ?????

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had 4 of 5 touches in the one sequence, unless by touch you don’t mean touch

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I told my wife that all we talk about now is touches in the box, and she said, “Don’t you guys ever grow up?”

13. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    I wish this wasn’t a discussion. But it appears to be a theme that will carry on for the season, so I’ll just say this: CP’s role is different than Leao, and as I mentioned before, Leaos “box touches” will continue to dwarf Pulisic. I have no problem with it.

But you may be happy to know that I am confident this will be Leao’s last season at Milan (even tho he just re-upped I think), because somebody in the Prem will come calling very soon with big dollars. Then maybe Pulsic will get a different role and more “box touches,” if it matters.
    Conversely, you may be disappointed to then realize that without Leao drawing attention from double and triple teams, it will get harder, not easier, for CP To capitalize in the final third.

USA-Zebuel and dspence2311 repped this.
  14. Ghost

Ghost BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 5, 2001
    It's always:
    He doesn't have the right coach, or
    that's not his role, or, my current favorite,
    well, he'll get minutes because they have a lot of games coming up (as if schedule congestion is a reason for optimism).

For once could it be that an American is totally kicking tail?

15. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Apologies, I read this post 3 times and I still don’t under stand what you are saying.
    Pulisic is kicking tail/doing great? Or he is not, and people are making excuses for him? Care to clarify?

usnroach, superdave and adi21 repped this.
  16. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Other than on the pure athleticism of Leao, this is a team that’s struggling to bring its attackers into dangerous areas. I think that’s relevant.

17. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I don’t think Leao is the problem so him leaving certainly isn’t going to help. I think the midfield is what’s holding them back.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    That word does not mean what you think it does…

19. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    14th is mid-table?

superdave repped this.
  20. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea being a joke is -- at long last -- something I'm sure everyone here can not just agree on, but indeed celebrate.

Long may it continue.

21. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "For those keeping track.." nice..

Where are you pulling these stats from? Link?

22. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How on earth can the Chelsea striker Jackson be leading the league in yellows? He has 5 and is suspended for the next match. I do not miss watching them one little bit. blech

23. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I agree that the Milan offense isn’t clicking. I don’t agree with Ghost’s claim that Pulisic is playing poorly. When he is active and involved, like he was Saturday, he is generally doing well. Yes, he gets muscled off the ball some. He is never going to be heavier, or have a lower center of gravity than he does. But he looked quick and intent and did some good things to help the team in his role behind the front line (I won’t say #10 role because someone will identify some way in which it wasn’t technically a #10 role). The previous match he doing that “standing around wide” thing and not making any sharp movements to present or defend thing that he sometimes lapses into. So to me this looked like a good performance.

I think the signing of Chukwueze is for when Leao leaves. I tend to think that when he moves to EPL, Leao will be the next Murdryk. As my son said, he is a James Harden type of player — creative and dangerous with the ball, and indifferent to the point of harmfulness when he doesn’t see a chance of doing something flashy of effective on offense. Reijnders and the rest of the midfield look decent to me. I look forward to seeing what the post-Leao Milan looks like.

The worrying things for me about Saturday’s match were (1) how many good chances Milan gave up, even with Tomori back, and (2) how much less effective Reijnders was than previous matches. The 3-4-3 was interesting but I am not sure it was defensively sound. From section 262 it looked asymmetrical on offense. Offensive width of the right was provided by the RWB (Musah), but on the left Leao stayed wide and the LWB sort of tucked in and wasn’t always as far forward. Musah got back pretty well, but the opponents counters looked dangerous. Whoever was supposed to be the disruptor wasn’t disrupting well. Maybe it’s just working out the kinks of a new formation. For whatever reason Reijnders looked a bit out of sync.

superdave, USA-Zebuel, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  24. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Yeah, but you really have to FEEEEEEL for their fans. I hope they are aware of the feeeelings we are sending their way.

adi21 and EruditeHobo repped this.
  25. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one deserves it more than them... vile club.

Here for the next good CP performance though! Hoping he gets back on track with a goal or assist ASAP.
    Agree with FC Tallavana; the Milan midfield, and Pioli searching for answers via new formation, is concerning.
    I don't like the 3-4-3. The attack is the strength of the side, but they need to be supported.

LouisianaViking07/09 and mattjens repped this.