Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Chuk wad always gonna start this game for what it's worth. Doesn't help that Puli was uninvolved and tentative vs Inter.

Milan fans also overall aren't mad at Puli either BTW. Most are actually criticizing Pioli for playing a high line with the 2 fastest CBs unavailable

2. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    I'll be happy if he gets some quality minutes and stays healthy. He's still recovering from the international break. I really wonder how Milan is going to do. It is certainly a major challenge for them coming off of a poor outing.

3. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    The fact that he was lackluster in the big game against Inter and the importance of this game. I hope when he comes on the pitch in the second half, the score is still 0-0 and he makes an impact and is involved in both the goals they will score. He needs to be the difference maker and stay in top form international break or not.

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    We know that, but does he know that?

5. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Probably in his head but he doesn't seem to show it with his actions. I just wish he had a little bit of the drive that both Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan had. He is more talented but isn't consistent. I used to think it was just all the injuries but this seems to be deeper than that.

6. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    that was not a good start to a Champions League campaign. They are going to struggle.

smokarz repped this.
  7. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Their attack is too dependent on Theo and Leao. They have zero balance and it takes something brilliant from one of those guys to score against good opposition.

8. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Milan honestly unlucky to score. Over 20 shots. Rafa played one of his worst games I've seen.

Puli was.... fine. Didn't do much on the ball but I felt his movement created a lot of space in build up that wasn't there with Chukwueze.

9. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    I don't think Pulisic has the right mentality to be a sub. I think he does better when he knows he's got 70 minutes in front of him, not 20-30.

10. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Pulisic did not do as well as I expected. bad corner, bad cross, and a bewildering decision in the box to sit and wait while wide open with the ball instead of trying a shot or pass/move. We should expect more.
    Hoping he gets his chance again in the next match and capitalizes, makes a difference.

Yunus showed so much promise, and earned himself more minutes (if Pioli is just).

Tough mountain to climb for Milan with the next two CL matches away at PSG and Dortmund. Leao's decisions in the box today were really shocking and costly. The decision to attempt a backheel (whiff) rather than lacing the ball will hurt for awhile.

11. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic is not quite anticipating things either quickly enough or confidently enough. Amazing how he went from happy, confident Pulisic to diminutive, sloppy Pulisic all within an international window.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    He's got to stop ordering the fish when he flies.

USA-Zebuel, russ and WrmBrnr repped this.
  13. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 points dropped for MIlan, they should have scored in the first half.

Not good enough off the bench from Pulisic. Newcastle definitely tightened things up in the 2nd half so there wasn't as much space. Still he had time turn in the box and did nothing with it. Over hit his cross and over hit his corner. Seemed to play much more centrally this game but a lot of his runs were too close other Milan players.

madvillain repped this.
  14. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this guy gets so much hype but I haven't seen much from him ...not sure what the noise is about, tbh...he is just a physical specimen, it seems, not much more

smokarz repped this.
  15. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This ratio is about the same as each players jersey’s spotted at San Siro today. LOL coincidence? Of course not!

Chuki had at least 6 touches in the box this game against Newcastle. So, what’s the point here? That Chuki is more important to AC Milan’s attack than Pulisic?

it was awesome to see Pulisic and Musah out playing together. Of course, it would have been great to see them combine for the winner but it was not to be. Pulisic did add a spark on the right but it wasn’t enough on the day. He had a couple steals, which Chuki doesn’t (yet) bring to the table. Musah looked really good today, but this ain’t his thread…

16. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He fell over himself trying a back heel. It was a shame, he could have done more with that chance. He disappeared the last 30 minutes, he seemed tired or his mind was elsewhere. He does have moments of ‘special player’ plays, just a young kid and inconsistency comes with the territory.

17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Agreed. Haven't seen much from his as of yet. Maybe wait until we have seen for an entire season before making any conclusions.

18. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Feel the same. Looks like he was always half a second slow. Runs, passes, decisions. A other I effective showing.

I guess it is to be expected from him. 2-3 great games followed by a run of poor and average showings.

CyphaPSU repped this.
  19. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I don't think he has the right mentality to be a consistent starter with high performances, period. He's not a 21 year old kid any more. This is his prime years.

madvillain repped this.
  20. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Yeah, you can see 2 points at best in their next two CL games. Realistically, I am expecting 0 or 1 point for those games.

21. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    It's possible. He certainly doesn't help himself when he starts pressing and coming higher to get the ball. So he overhits one cross, big deal, but then he starts encroaching on his team mates' space, starts picking up the ball uselessly and in general isn't playing effectively.

You said it: he's not 21 anymore, this tactical and emotional immaturity should be gone. But it's not. I've hesitated to link some of his off field antics with his on field play but it doesn't seem like he's a deep thinker on or off the field.

22. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USMNT hangover...soemthing happened on that recent window...he was a shell of himself in those games, too.....maybe those friendlies need to be IN EUROPE.....instead of forcing all of that time compressed travel onto players

He could never publicly say anything - the criticism would be too harsh....and his face of the national team spot mght be jeopardized.....but the german players used to all beg off meaningless friendlies for a reason.....its hard to travel that far and back in short time and stay in top form.

the cost of those (meaningless) matches was (very) severe if it was indeed travel induced sluggishness (my suspicion)

USA-Zebuel, acima, russ and 3 others repped this.
  23. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    I don't see the point in bringing any of our Euro based starters over until we get much closer to Copa America. Pulisic is a guy that cannot and will not play effectively with even the slightest dip in physical ability. To be effective at his club he has to be 100% and the travel does seem to drain him a bit.

nbarbour and russ repped this.
  24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    obviously just speculating...but the juice isnt worth the squeeze...if my conjecture is close to accurate

why even schedule usmnt friendlies in usa if the whole team is in europe anyway....AND the opponents arent even in the western hemisphere, either

seems people with suits and spreadsheets are making some weird decisions......and not taking player health, well being into account

*sorry for the us post...but it is very relevant, imo, to pulisic's club form....only want to discuss usmnt as it pertains to impact on pulisic with Milan (which, I think, may be significant)

25. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you aren't saying otherwise, but maybe Christian wants to travel and play for the US? It is his career.