Chris webb`s latest

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    View From the Mezzanine

Let's not sugercoat things.. It's white knuckle time here in D.C..

Chris Webb · October 16, 2003

Yeah, a skeptic would say that last season we were in the playoff race until the last match of the season against the Dallas Burn.. But I'm here to tell you that despite a gallant effort from the boys on East Capitol Street to climb back into the chase, the simple fact was that even if we had won that last match against Dallas (which incidentaly is the single best MLS game I have ever witnessed), we still would have needed help from teams in the Western Conference to get us in the playoffs.. As it happened, we wouldn't have made it anyway based on the results of that weekend..

This season is different in that we have our own destiny in our hands and I'm butt nervous heading into our final two matches against Columbus and Kansas at RFK.. Let's look at the facts here.. In 96' we had a playoff birth sewn up with about 2 games to play and were in no real danger of losing out.. In 97' thru 99' we clinched by late July to mid August and coasted to MLS Cup.. In 2000-2001 we were out of the race by August on both occasions and last season technically went down to the last game but it really was grasping at straws..

This season is really our first full-fledged playoff race that I can think of.. I remember in my story a few weeks ago saying that if we could get 12 points out of our last 9 matches we would make the playoffs.. Well, in one of the only times in my life when I actually got a prediction right, we have gotten 11 out of the 12 points I said we needed.. And we only need one stinkin' lousy point to get us through..

Let's take a look at those last two games.. First up is Columbus which is struggling mightily at the moment.. They absolutely need 3 points against us and 3 points at home to Chicago just to tie us if we fail to win either remaining match.. If they do end up beating us and beating Chicago and we fail to get a point, we would then be tied with 38 points apiece but Columbus would go through to the playoffs due to winning the season series against us.. Not the most likely of scenarios to be sure but it could happen..

As for the match itself, I see Columbus coming at us like Sherman marching through Atlanta.. If we can somehow manage to stem the tide and score on them first, we should be able to get at least a point out of this match.. If we should lose however, then the pressure is all on us to get that final result against a Kansas team that is hitting it's stride once again after a midseason slump that saw them go from first to fourth in a hurry in the Western Conference..

It's white knuckle time baby.......

Here goes my predictions for the last two matches:

D.C. United 2
    Columbus 1

And with all the pressure off and a very possible shot at 2nd place in the standings (provided New England gets a tie and a win in their home and home series against the Mutts), we simply thrash Kansas by a 3-1 score..

Nothing to worry about my friends, it's in the bag.

· UnitedMania.com ·

WUSA Girl's Guide to Soccer Life
    The Stars of the W...
    New $13.99!

Coaching Kids to Play Soccer
    Jim San Marco

Kids' Book of Soccer
    Brooks Clark

Fever Pitch
    Nick Hornby

Froggy Plays Soccer
    Jonathan London

The Official American Youth Soccer O...
    American Youth Soc...

Tangerine
    Edward Bloor

(Prices May Change)
    Privacy Information

UnitedMania is a Proud Member of the MatchNight
    News Network

COPYRIGHT 2003 UnitedMania.net. All Rights Reserved. This website is an unofficial and independently-operated source of soccer news and information and is not directly affiliated with or endorsed by any team, league or their owners. Logos and other promotional materials are property of their respective owners. For the official team site, visit www.dcunited.

2. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    We're not the Metros, or the Cubs. We're DC United, and we don't implode, we don't choke. It's as simple as that.

Guys like Nelsen, Prideaux, Stewart, Etcheverry etc just don't have it in them to choke. Coach Hudson won't let them choke.

3. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Pass the kool-aid, man...

4. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    :D

5. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I will, if I can do it in person, man......

6. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Bud, you really don't miss a chance to offer the gods a big steaming plate of hubris to smack us down for, do you? :)

Everybody put the champagne down. You, over there, that means you! I don't want to see a single balloon until we have actually *won* this nomina... I mean playoff spot.

7. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    :)

8. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I sooo omuch want to agree with you Chris, but I have a hard time seeing us score 2 goals. Help me out here.

9. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Amen.

10. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    As a direct descendant of General Sherman (it's true), I can assure you that any "march through D.C." is not sanctioned by him or any members of the family.

11. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    OK fine. I'll wait and celebrate AFTER we make the playoffs

Come to think of it, Saturday we're going to be in a tough game. We'll be lucky to come out of it w/a point, given all our injuries, and our poor play of late.

12. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Cool by me. :)

And I would so like us not be needing a point by the Saturday game. I'm not confident of our taking a point off KC right now. But it would be so DC to get this far, then lose Sunday, seeting us up to *have* to get a point in our last game of the regular season.

13. sckrmom

sckrmom New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    Gainesville, VA
    "Come to think of it, Saturday we're going to be in a tough game. We'll be lucky to come out of it w/a point, given all our injuries, and our poor play of late. "

I agree, especially the difficulty of getting a point on Saturday. Now Sunday at the game there might be a better chance:)

14. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Good point! Hadn't checked gametime yet. Sunday at 4 on ESPN2-I'll watch it in person and tape it for when I get home