Chris Richards at Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now let’s get Mason Mount to do the same exercise with a map of SEC schools and see how that goes.

2. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The only way he does as well is if the names of the states are already on the map and he will still probably not be 100% correct.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Mount was playing in the SEC I bet he’d nail it.

4. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I propose we send him to Mississippi State for a year so we can run the experiment.

Winoman and ChicagoVT repped this.
  5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's a required course.

In 10th grade :whistling::whistling:

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With his last appearance, Richards hit 2000 EPL minutes this season. Who thought that was coming back in October/November? It was his first 2k minute season at a first team level.

wsmaugham, quolo, mace and 16 others repped this.
  7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I wonder if it makes sense to hold him out the final match so he doesn’t drop below 2000.

lmorin repped this.
  8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Glasner is a dyed-in-the-wool back 3 coach.

Almost the only way he changes that is to use a back 5.

9. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Richards keeps his place in the starting XI despite the return of one of their key CBs Guehi (who is starting his first game in nearly 4 months now due to injury).

That means there are 6 defenders in the lineup (including wingbacks), so some sites are venturing a guess that Richards will start in the midfield for this one.

10. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    And despite the pre-match guesses, it looks like Richards is playing as a LCB again. Instead, Guehi is the one who finds himself starting out of position in the midfield.

11. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was quietly the breakthrough of the season. He and his squad did really well in the back half.

12. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Finishing the season as the second best team in the league, standings be damned.

13. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solid game for Richards. Became more aggressive w/ his forward passes in the 2nd half. Had an unreal assist chalked off for the smallest of offside margins and delivered another block/tackle/pass upfield that led to a chance saved by the GK. Overall, that was one of the most impressive showings I have seen from an EPL Team all season. Completely dominant.

14. harttbeat

harttbeat Member+

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Can they keep Elise ? If so, palace looking for good.for next yr

Elise easily can go 80million. I don't remember palace gotten that much money from 1 yr via transfer. They might be tempered to

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Tempered steal?

16. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maybe breakthrough yank of the year?

LouisianaViking07/09 and superdave repped this.
  17. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The number of teams that can pony up $80m is probably about 10, maybe even less this summer. Most teams are broke. He's got an injury history that's not great and Palace probably won't accept anything less than top dollar. I think we're going to hear about Olise transfers all summer but most of those teams already have big money sunk into AM/Wing players. It's absolutely possible but I'm not sure it's actually probable.

For example Man U needs him but their financial situation, players on the books/their wages makes it difficult and if you're Olise beyond the pay check everything else about the club is a disaster right now. Honestly he'd be better off staying at Palace one more year and waiting for Man City's stars to be a year older, a year further into their contracts then join them.

He'd be a star on all but a handful of teams, the question is he worth the punt now or will teams want to see an additional year of production before dropping that kind of cash for him? Dunno, but it also depends on how much he values a guaranteed starting spot plus a coach/system that's designed for him. My thought is 60/40 against a transfer but someone offering to double if not triple your wages could be impossible to resist.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  18. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    How good of a signing was Oliver Glasner. Palace alwas had a lot of potential with their roster but he really turned them into a legit team. I'm glad Richards was able to establish himself with the new coach. Hopefully means he has a place in the starting lineup next year.

McKenniesWeah, Zinkoff, mattjens and 3 others repped this.
  19. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    I'm honestly surprised it's taken this long for him to establish himself at CP. I watched a ton of Chris's games in the BL, and I always came away thinking that he just absolutely oozes class.

McKenniesWeah, Zinkoff, Deeneaus and 3 others repped this.
  20. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I don't follow Palace, but seemed like his opportunities and fortunes improved when Hodgson was replaced by a BL manager. Hodgson is old school and was probably skeptical of a Yank from Germany.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    He’s been injured a ton over the last few years and CP have had Andersen and Guehi.

I’m surprised he cemented himself in the side in spite of both those facts.

McKenniesWeah, Zinkoff, usnroach and 5 others repped this.
  22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally wrong. Richards cemented himself under Hodgson.

23. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Yeah, sort of as a DM though initially as a fill-in, right?

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Nothing to do with it. He's old school in that he's not tactically adaptive and tends to over-drill his players. He was also, rather visibly, no longer had the physical stamina for the demands of coaching for an entire season in the EPL.

And the idea that guy who's coached, quite successfully, in 8 foreign countries (including 2 foreign MNTs) is going to give a rat's ass about where a guy comes from or where he's played is ridiculous. He just didn't see what Chris was/is capable of and couldn't come up with a system to make the best of his abilities.

He couldn't do it for Mateta either. Glasner did, for both. The results are obvious

Dervos, usnroach and ChicagoVT repped this.
  25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes then at CB but he was consistently in the 11 for Hodgson’s last 8 games or so.