Chris Richards at Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 3, 2018.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure Bradley learned German and Italian as well. After you learn a second language, the 3rd and 4th are easy (so they tell me--but I only speak two and haven't ever tried for a 3rd).

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having been around Dutch speakers, I'm gonna need some evidence that either is fluent after just 2 seasons. I can accept low conversational level, but it's impossible to get Dutch speakers to talk to you in Dutch unless you are paying them. They bounce to English much too easily.

3. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    "Your Dutch is very good!" They reply. In English.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

5. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020

6. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    As I said a month ago, that was the next data point. Looks like he with be with the 1st team next season

7. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn’t he Jamie Trekker?

8. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way! Unless Jamie Trekker is an 87 year old man who grew up in the Soviet Bloc.

EDIT: Or is (very believably) pretending to be an 87 year old man who grew up in the Soviet Bloc.

Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No.

ChrisSSBB and Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  10. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He is probably in mid sixties now.

11. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it turns out that he's now seen as the best CB in the youth setup and the first one to come up to the 1st team if there are injuries, etc., then that adds some real value to him playing at least one more year with Bayern II.

But that all remains to be seen. Words are words, and who knows what their roster will look like by September.

FirstStar repped this.
  12. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    I dunno man. That's what Mai was pretty much and he didn't even do anything

13. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    perhaps a reminder that development isn’t just nonlinear but also doesn’t follow projections

14. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    This is the most interesting player/situation for me wrt the NT.

He was on a decent trajectory, then it seemed he got moved to RB, a 17 year old was called up to the full team before him, and he wasn't playing that well.

Then he "righted the ship" and closed out the season at CB, seemed to play well the last couple months.

What now? Is he really going to be a 1st team fixture with Bayern? Get a couple league games with some cup appearances, maybe some CL group stage matches? Seems to be the path most recently postulated, especially if Bayern is turning down all sorts of interest from other BL clubs.

If that's the case, then, he needs to be on our senior team. Generally with youth players, I'd say let's wait until they are getting minutes (Uly, Ledezma). But we are very shallow at CB, and don't even really have good options outside of Brooks. Richards was our best played at the U20 WC, a team consisting of various other NT players - Pomykal is routinely talked about as an option even though injuries hindered his past year, Sargent, Weah has caps even with variety of injuries. Hell, even Uly is now in the picture after the January camp, and he has zero first team minutes.

I give Egg some credit for attempting to call him in for March. But was that just a one off, Euro, U23 type camp?

I think he probably needs to be in the next camp, whenever that may be. If there is one camp and a friendly or two prior to the start of qualifying, I think there is a strong argument that Richards should be included. Do we really need to wait for a certain amount of minutes with Bayern, probably the best team in the world? Richards already has thousands of minutes playing against adults, at basically a B2 level (since they won the B3). I just don't think this is a typical youth player situation, and thus, shouldn't be treated as such.

15. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Richards is a perfect example of how important the Olympics can be for a nation like the USA. It's another opportunity for him to prove he can hang. It's interesting to imagine what his next season would look like if we were coming off of....say a quarter/semis run in Tokyo with him being a fixture.

16. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Yeah, I guess. The more games the better. But how useful is it? Random teams, U23, a lot of the better players aren't involved. Is the Olympics a better competition than the U20 World Cup, which he dominated as a CB? That France team was loaded with high end talent already involved in European league first teams. Seems last last Olympics had Brazil (loaded and trying to win it at home) and Germany, and then a bunch of randoms. Honduras and Nigeria in the semis.

Like I said, it wouldn't have been a bad thing, as any NT games are an opportunity.

But the kid was just put in the squad for the Champions League. I'm thinking he's close to, if not already at, the level required for the senior team (again, especially considering our lack of options).

Deeneaus repped this.
  17. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020

18. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    While I agree with your conclusion, this part of your post irks me. And I am not necessarily irked at you. But at the efforts of some to read tea leaves from club decisions that we don't have full information on.

Chris has played consistently well all season. He was not brought up to the 1st team training and the 17 year old was b/c that week the 2nd team was playing an important match, and he was deemed too important to miss that match or training. He was played at right back not b/c he was deemed a lesser prospect than anyone else, but b/c it was his first game action with men and they wanted to ease him in into the lineup...The club has consistently believed that he is a future 1st team player

19. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Good info. I just get my "updates" from BS mostly, and people generally seem to be debbie downers more than optimists. So I can see why that opinion came thru here.

I had also heard (I thought from more legit sources, maybe a quote) that Bayern weren't sure if he was "Bayern material", like George wasn't "Penske material", but that they thought ht was definitely top 6-8 BL talent. Which, in that case, the difference is slim and he might improve enough to be a Bayern player.

Regardless - the news on him these last few weeks is probably better than anyone could have hoped for, and I still think he needs to be called up at the next opportunity with the full team.

20. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    1289196917944012802 is not a valid tweet id

Attached Files:

21. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    1289537494606737408 is not a valid tweet id

22. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting this Charlie. I am a huge Richards fan... I think he has the talent and is on the right path to be our #1 CB in a couple of years. I watched about 45 minutes of the video and he was 100% on his passes and had several nice blocks/tackles. Eager to see where he is playing at the start of the season.

23. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I like Richards a lot too, and it sure seems like he has all the tools to be an elite CB, but I'm trying to temper my optimism because I thought the same thing about EPB. And we've seen non-CBs like Green and Weah get treated like part of the first team of super clubs in pre-season only to be dumped in the next transfer window or two.

24. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    This isn't preseason. It's the knockout stage and onwards of the champions league.

The Irish Rover and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Interesting ptrofile in the Guardian. It's a good article but this section stood out:
    It was an FC Dallas youth-squad practice session in 2018, and the coaches had designed a small-sided team game which used a tennis ball and had bizarre restrictions around how and when it could be passed and scored – You have to bounce it once with your left hand, then pass with your right, that kind of thing. While most of his teammates were bemused, Richards, who would soon sign for European giant Bayern Munich, came alive.
    “Chris quickly figured out how to take advantage of the rules and was coaching his teammates how to win,” Chris Hayden, Dallas’ academy director, tells the Guardian. “His team won easily. A player has to be able to figure out something and take advantage of the situation. I think he has that in his DNA and it’ll really carry him well in his career.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/04/chris-richards-bayern-munich-usmnt-soccer]
    There are a few very positive comments from the Bayern II coach. As I posted maybe 10 days ago, they are very positive about his potential