Chris Richards at Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 3, 2018.

1. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    literally nothing

HS Teacher repped this.
  2. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    -richards is in birmingham right now
    -german is 8/10 hard as a language
    -agrees with tt that a lot of american prospects could make the jump given the opportunity and willingness to get out of comfort zone and that will benefit the whole program
    -still watches mls and will always support fcd but also watching philly due to real/mckenzie connection
    -will have wait and see on where he will be when next season starts

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, Richards needs to buckle down and get out of his comfort zone. If he thinks German is an 8/10, he's in for a rude awakening with some other languages.

4. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    in his defense he said he was happy it was nothing crazy like russian

LouisianaViking07/09 and Balerion repped this.
  5. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    ok. maybe my comment was an overstatement. sorry.

6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, that just shows the naiveté of the American soccer player. He thinks Russian is the top of the game? I've been out of practice for a while but I was once quite fluent in Russian. The grammar is tough, but there's a clear logic to it. There's a reasonable number of cognates with English, too, though not nearly as many as in Romance languages.

American soccer will never reach its full polyglot potential until we start tackling regional Asian languages and various Bantu dialects.

Joking aside, I'm glad that Richards is feeling more comfortable with his German. It's really important for players to acquire those language skills in Germany, as their development and standing within a team can be significantly handicapped without them.

LouisianaViking07/09, Dander and Winoman repped this.
  7. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you don't hear from me, it will only because they cut my coffin wireless connection ;(

Winoman repped this.
  8. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    #1083 WheezingUSASupport, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Good recap. I wonder how many of our guys watch performances for other USMNT or USYNT players like we do. The fact that he also watches Philly for two prospects we enjoy watching is interesting.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark Twain said that he “never knew before what eternity was made for. It is to give some of us a chance to learn German.”

10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Kevin Keegan spent 3 seasons at Hamburg and, by the end, was near-fluent in German. He was asked why he'd put so much effort into it> "Respect' was the answer. For the Germans? "No. Self-respect." was the answer.

Magikfute, ChrisSSBB, ChicagoVT and 6 others repped this.
  11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Pretty close. Except for Philly, zero info about anything.

12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you live 3 years in Germany, learning German seems reasonable.

13. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020

14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    To quote him, McKenzie and Matt Real are "his boys." I imagine all those youth teams, there's a lot of tight friendships over the years.

The interview had literally nothing interesting about it except that Richards is a really gregarious, outgoing guy with little to no nerves about being on camera. Seems like a fun dude.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I'm high on the kid. He put together a very nice season against professionals last year. The key (as it is with any central defender) is PLAYING TIME. Bayern knows this. I'd be a big fan of maybe a two year loan to a relegated Bundesliga team. Get a year as a penciled in starter at the Bundesliga 2 level, with the chance of being fully integrated the next year as a Bundesliga starter. That's a pretty common move with young central defenders.

A year loan to a Bundesliga team fighting to avoid the drop wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either...

He's got great athleticism and I've seen a knack for some nice long range passing. He's assertive without being dirty or a card magnet. Still think he's on the trajectory to making a '22 World Cup squad.

16. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007

What does it all mean what with mai out on loan?!

17. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007

as crazy it sounds the anonymous bayern twitteratti might not have really known who flick preferred between mai and richards OR richards is going to get so little time it will wreck his development and they don’t want to subject mai to that. who knows?!

18. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    If you followed Bayern 2, you could tell who the better player is between richards and mai. It is richards

19. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    that is honestly the opposite of the collected conventional wisdom amongst bayern ii watchers online and in this very thread

20. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    As someone else broke down a few pages ago, collective wisdom was from when Chris was playing right back. Since he moved to centerback, the team's results and defensive records improved. And his individual performance was stellar. Mai sat on the bench for the last couple of games as well

ChicagoVT and justinpaul10 repped this.
  21. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    right but bayern watchers then were saying the rb experiment was because he had no chance at cb with mai and frankly others ahead of him

largegarlic repped this.
  22. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Who knows how to read the tea leaves, but my guess based on the grouping of Richards with those other young guys is that they'll play games with Bayern II, but train mostly with the first team to be able to move up if they progress or injuries happen. I can't imagine they're expecting all of those guys to be serious candidates for actual game day rosters from the get go.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  23. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    He played right back to ease him into a new league. And to work on his longer range passing

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    not many have german in school so i'd agree that it can be seen as difficult. might also be how german is depicted whereas italian or spanish are more fun and enjoyable to speak.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Jozy and Michael bradley were both fluent in dutch. talk about a shock.