Chris Richards at Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 3, 2018.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Most exciting is the interest from other clubs. After having seen him play in Europe, scouts around the continent continue to highly rate him.

2. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Id like to see a loan to Shalke. Theyre looking for cheap options and playing for wagner could be a good thing. Also potential for playing with Mckennie if he stays

3. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    It's a little bit of a different ballgame for central defenders. Take Pulisic for example; he's just now really seeing the game better. His first couple of years he would just dribble (mostly with his head down), but he's getting better in space and it's just a joy to watch. Central Defenders? They don't get to make mental mistakes. Chris is an athletic freak and has pretty good vision passing from the back. He needs to continue playing and after a successful year in Liga 3 it needs to be at a higher level. No shame in not being Bayern level. Hell Bayern usually poaches Bundesliga talent from other clubs after they've played in the Bundesliga for several years. This whole U-20 evaluation is a completely new development. They've begun investing heavily in it (in part I would imagine because of Dortmund's success, but also because Bundesliga teams have gotten sick of them poaching their 22-24 year olds, as well as English teams increasingly buying guys that would go to Bayern on a free see:Werner).

So yeah a loan is a good start for him. I have no clue whether he ends up being a Bayern regular. But Bayern has done pretty well by Chris and vice versa so far.

4. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Does Chris Richards have the same agent as Emerson Hyndman?

I kid. I kid.

Actually, that's a good question. Does Chris Richards have the same agent as Emerson Hyndman?

LouisianaViking07/09 and sXeWesley repped this.
  5. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    no. same agent as mckennie. cory gibbs

6. munichfan9

munichfan9 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 7, 2005
    Burke, Virginia
    Reyna was bought in summer of 2019 and made his 1st team debut that summer in preseason. He also made his official 1st team debut in January. I wouldn't really say he was brought up through the academy.

7. ardubois3

ardubois3 Member

May 20, 2015
    I’d second this. At the U-20s, I thought he was the most intriguing player on the US team. He had great feet, was calm with good decision making and had an excellent range of passes. I haven’t seen any of his B3 games, but a lot of the assessments on here sound like a different player. But I’ve been reading people’s opinions on Bigsoccer long enough to take them with a grain of salt.

I just realized I’ve been here over half my life, since high school, on the family computer in the basement with AOL. I swear it was 1999 or earlier, when the link to the forums showed up on the old sams-army website, but I looked on the Bigsoccer wiki and it says it was founded in 2000. Strange. I still feel old.

sXeWesley, madvillain and Deeneaus repped this.
  8. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    2000? That can't be right. I was on BS in 1998.

LouisianaViking07/09 and ardubois3 repped this.
  9. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    I wish I could issue a decree that young YA players should be judged on their own merits, rather than the failures of YA's past

10. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even more than a loan, a cheap sale with a buyback close would be lovely and in the best interest for everyone.

Higher Learning repped this.
  11. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, some of us do it for stuff that's known ere and not known. :ninja:

12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. Gio was brought up through NYCFC's academy. And then he proved himself in Dortmund's academy. But I don't think its quite right to say that he was brought up there.

13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    "Silent majority".

ardubois3 repped this.
  14. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    It's the best news we've heard about Richards and Bayern recently. So let's be glad.

tomásbernal repped this.
  15. ardubois3

ardubois3 Member

May 20, 2015
    Yeah, I graduated high school in 99 and I remember reading the forums my JR year. So 98 sounds right, before that I was going to the book store and reading soccer magazines for news about our overseas players. It’s crazy to think how information poor all things soccer were back then.

I read a little more and wiki says it converted from SoccerBoards to Bigsoccer in 2000. I guess I was probably not paying attention to rebranding back then.

16. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    Ah. That must be it. Boy, those were the days, when we were all talking about what we'd read in FourFourTwo...

Anyway, this Richards kid sounds promising. End threadjack.

17. matt021d

matt021d Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Kicker, "Several Bundesliga teams are interested in Chris Richards. Richards even has a concrete offer. With Lukas Mai also leaving on loan, Bayern must decide whether to let two defenders go in the same window."

18. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    We will know whether he is to be loaned when the team reports back for UCL training. Also if Bayern loans him in the 1 Bundesliga, it is an indication that they think he will eventually play for them.

I hear mai will be loaned outside Germany, which means that he will not have a long term future

19. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    With Tanguay Kouassi coming in things will be interesting.

As for Richards and other Bundesliga teams, I said in another thread if I had to take a guess I'd say a team that may push for him is Freiburg. It is looking more and more likely that Robin Koch is going to be leaving them this summer

The Irish Rover, sXeWesley and TimB4Last repped this.
  20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Thanks, your guesses always provide grist for our mill.

21. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Bayern are really bad at hoarding. They wont sell but maybe loan out. They try and monopolize all of Germany with younger players to keep their competition down.

Its why all of Germany is crying foul about Bayerns tactics of buying up all the young starlets and leaving other teams academies dry. I imagine if we see a couple more ugly years of BL then you will see some new BL policy change like maybe Denmark, or one of the other leagues where they get separated in relegation and championship groups.

22. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whenever I've gone drinking with any of my few German friends, they always complain about exactly this at the bar. None of them are Bayern fans obviously ;)

23. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scheiss Bayern! :) It's a movement.

Hobo and Winoman repped this.
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Is he already the best talent ever come out of Alabama?

25. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Johannsson