Chris Richards at Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 3, 2018.

1. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    as a numbers game, it was highly unlikely he would go from alabama, rejected by fc dallas, beat fc dallas, sign with fc dallas, be picked out by bayern scouts to sign with munich, impress with the united states u19s, move up to u20s, be one of the best u20 cbs at u20 world cup, play with bayern in the icc, play 30 games for their reserve team, and make his debut within 2 years.

2. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    maybe whats his name from atleti too, still the broader point holds that expecting young center backs to play for the biggest clubs on teh biggest stages is a rare occurrence

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You could put together an almost identical timeline for like, Gedion Zelalem. It doesn't mean anything.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  4. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That interest in him from those clubs has been there for a while. I remember reading an article about this from a while ago, although I believe Valencia is new.

I don't see him wanting to leave Bayern anytime soon because their CBs play a game that is very well suited to his particular skill set. The third league is too low for him though.

You can see him becoming lackadaisical on the field because it's not much of a challenge to him anymore. In the second to last match, I remember watching him concede a goal to a pretty washed up player because he lost focus. His positioning also isn't as sharp as it needs to be at the Bayern level, due to the highline they play, but those are obviously traits that can be worked out in his game.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with him next season. Surely Bayern knows that another season with the second team won't suffice for his growth, let alone in challenging him to raise his game.

5. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Did Gedion debut for Arsenal first team? Wasn't he also hurt signficantly?

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    4 appearances, debuted 2 days before his 17th birthday.

His knee injury happened when he was 20.

7. kgbman

kgbman Member

Jul 31, 2006
    Hope he stays patient and gives (dare I say trusts?) the BM hierarchy at least until January. He either starts seeing more bench and occasional 1st team appearances or after 6 months weighs loan options.

Perspective as a USMNT fan is a funny thing. Arguing over Chelsea, Arsenal and Valencia rumors, even if just that, for a young CB already at BM is so nice to see after 2 decades as a fan.

And by the way, as a dual nat and German speaker myself, the questions around his ceiling were calibrated more to right back where earlier in the season he spent a decent amount of time.

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That still doesn't bridge the gap to playing for Bayern Munich. It's still unlikely.

9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the old saying goes, if you've been burnt 25 times by Yanks abroad prospects, you are 250 times shy.

largegarlic and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  10. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    The difference with Gio is he was brought up through their academy and had clear signs that he was ready for minutes. Plus Dortmund is known to integrate top academy talent.

A lot actually thought Pulisic to Chelsea was a bit of a lateral move.

The teams listed are too high of a level for a loan. We don’t think he can’t make it to those teams, we just don’t think he can perform at those teams right now. My guess is they’re all looking to purchase and loan.

If the clubs listed were high 2nd division/low first division performers in their respective leagues then I’d consider them as strong loan destinations.

11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He is no Ferrari or Szetela. Whether Reyna is Bayern level nobody knows as well whether Richards is BVB level.

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Since Gooch retired.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Would group him along with Miles Robinson, Sands, Otasowie.

14. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    Valencia has been a mess defensively. They brought up a player from the B squad (20 years old), and he started a few games since the restart. They will be on the market for some help this summer.

15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Talent wise I'd group him with Pope. Or no group at all.

16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #941 Jazzy Altidore, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Like Richards, CCV and Miazga were both considered top CB prospects for the US. Like Richards, they also had great U20 World Cups. Like Richards, both had a cup of coffee on the first team roster at a top club. But both have fizzled out. Let's hope Richards does better.

17. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sound like a pessimist on this thread, but I actually think all of this is great news. If he his purchased by a Bundesliga club for a decent number (I value him at $10-$15 million), he will get to play and prove himself.

19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Have you ever watched these three play? Richards will start on half of BL teams today.

20. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    one of these clubs are interested for a loan...

21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    most people would (and should) assume he isn’t.

22. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    #947 dd601, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Chris was one of the better players at the U20 World Cup, for any team. CCV and Miazga's limitations were obvious even back then. There is no comparison between those guys and Chris.

The way Bayern has treated him throughout his tenure (stuff that's known ere and not known) speaks of someone they expect to play for their first team.

23. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    I think he would do really well at a team like Leverkeusen playing a high line given shh athleticism and recovery abilities.

chrome_vapors repped this.
  24. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Any insight you can share on the stuff that's not known here?

madvillain repped this.
  25. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    I'm really excited about this guy man. Eddie Pope 3.0???

My body is ready for a great American CB.