Chris Richards at Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is actually my opinion as well. He should make a move to a top 6-8 team for now.

2. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Without knowing too much about his quality outside of highlight videos, I'd actually prefer a lower level. Not sure he's ready for a top 6-8 in the B1 at this point, but rather than might be his peak level. He needs first team minutes asap, which wouldn't happen at Leverkeusen or Wolfsburg.

3. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i would prefer he go to wolfsburg, immediately establish himself as a full time starter next to brooks, and with uly llanezs help break bayern munichs title streak.

4. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    I think it's fair to say he's the most promising CB we have at the moment, no?

adam tash repped this.
  5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When it comes to senior NT integration, he needs to perform better than capably if he goes to Holland. Plenty in the pool have performed more than capably at that and similar levels. Capably is sufficient in the Bundesliga.

A bottom-feeder there isn't a bad place for a young defender. Get more opportunities and a lot of defensive experience.

Otasowie and Miles Robinson certainly have cases. All have showed promise between mobility, alertness, and some ball-playing abilities. But none have broken thru at a higher level.

madvillain repped this.
  6. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    wsmaugham, ChicagoVT, adam tash and 5 others repped this.
  7. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    None of those seem like they present realistic first team minutes right away. Maybe they would sign him and loan him. Might as well stay at Bayern and get loaned.

3 Liga was nice but he really needs to take the next step next season which seems lots of first team minutes at an increased level.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  8. matt021d

matt021d Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an arsenal fan, our defense is atrocious but he's no where near ready for our first team.

Hate to be a glass half empty guy but at this point, he is not readyfor a top tier club.

Valencia maybe, but still probably not

9. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    On what basis are you guys making these assessments? I bet some of you were saying Gio not ready for first team. Christian not ready for Chelsea. etc....stop talking out of your butts

bballshawn, ChicagoVT, adam tash and 2 others repped this.
  10. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Seems most were down-ish on Richards recently, with a couple younger CBs passing him by and training with the first team.

This is real positive, though. Even if he's not ready for these teams, and I doubt he is, it still is widespread interest, which shows he's still a high end prospect.

I agree, though, that transferring anywhere doesn't seem the right move. Stay at Bayern, get loaned out to a lower level B1 team, and hopefully start earning some first team minutes. Not sure why anyone would leave Germany at this point, with how they are developing American players at a pretty impressive clip.

tomásbernal and ChicagoVT repped this.
  11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Valencia is a top tier club. On a similar level as Arsenal. They did pretty well in the CL.

ChicagoVT and adam tash repped this.
  12. matt021d

matt021d Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the assessment that the highest level hes played is the 3.bundesliga? I dont think anyone expects him to make the jump from there to a top 15 club in the world. I still rate him, but certainly not that highly at this point.

CP jumped from starting and playing well in the champs league for BVB to Chelsea. They aren't even in the same stratosphere. What a clown post.

majspike and thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  13. matt021d

matt021d Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No matter how down Arsenal has been recently (and they've been down), Valencia is not on the same level. Valencia is a solid club, would like to see Richards succeed there, but they are certainly a level below Chelsea and Arsenal

14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not going to be sold or loaned to any of those big clubs. Bayern doesn't have the financial incentive to sell w/ FCD's 40% cut on transfer fees & those clubs would be acquiring him w/ more development in mind so a loan there doesn't track.

It's going to be a loan to a considerably worse club than Bayern, and the team who acquires his services temporarily are going to need him to realistically be ready now. That means a BL bottom feeder, 2 BL club, or lowlands type; after a solid performance as a youth in the 3 BL.

charlie kennan repped this.
  15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Show me the list of players who moved straight from the 3.Liga to a starting XI in the top 7 of the Premier League.

It's one thing to make that sort of jump within a club, a la Reyna, but it's an entirely different story when making that jump across clubs and countries.

DHC1 and thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Valencia made it to the R16 of CL; Arsenal didn't even qualify. Arsenal is not on the level of Valencia or Chelsea IMO.

majspike and gogorath repped this.
  17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Valencia are 8th in La Liga with a -6 goal differential, and have won 7 of 24 games in 2020. They were better than Arsenal a year ago, but they aren't now.

18. matt021d

matt021d Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clubs have up and down years. One year is not evidence of the stature of a club. All you need for evidence of that is how bad Man U has been recently. Despite all their recent failings, they are still unarguably one of the biggest clubs on the planet.

Like I said, I would be okay with going to Valencia as its a solid club. Its just not on the same level as Chelsea or Arsenal.

You can find club coefficients here: https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/#/yr/2020
    I know its not the end all be all, but its about as sure a source as you're gonna find. Both Chelsea and Arsenal are quite a few spots ahead of Valencia

19. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    He is not a 25 year old who has shown his level is 3 bundesliga. he would be a young player making the jump to full professional. it would be like saying Mason Greenwood would not be ready for Man U or Arsenal at the start of this season b/c he had never played beyond youth teams.

ardubois3 and butters59 repped this.
  20. matt021d

matt021d Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to break it to you but stories about players like Greenwood and Reyna are the exception to the rule, not the rule.

21. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Very true. My point is that you don't know whether Chris is an exception, too.

adam tash repped this.
  22. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The above is a series of posts starting with yours on Mar. 31, 2020. The source you subsequently provide as justification of raising the "serious questions about whether he's good enough for Bayern or a similar level team" is, as you kindly point out above, "one man's opinion." This is scarcely a reliable source despite your belief that the man "appears to have no agenda." While I might be willing to accept the latter, despite it being impossible to prove, the writer has no known history or authority on the topic of talent recognition in youth soccer players. He is expressing, as you say, "one man's opinion." All of us do that. You should no more cite that person as an authority on any aspect of soccer than you would my opinion on any aspect of soccer. Personally, I give more, a lot more in fact, credence to discussions and quotes that show up on sports pages in articles written by players or soccer journalists who may actually know more than the fans.

In addition, because several months have passed during which Richards has made his first team debut and apparently done well in his Div. III games, his growth as a player has to be considered when passing current judgement on him. The above judgement has to be considered dated, at the very least.

Please note that I am not passing judgement on Richards and will not do so until I've seen him play enough to actually have an opinion. He's at an age when skills change rapidly. I hope he secures a place in the Bayern first team or in an equivalent team, but time will tell.

wsmaugham, Deeneaus and TimB4Last repped this.
  23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    has an under 25 center back started a champions league final since maybe boateng?

24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Varane in 2017.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like everyone else, I hope he's good enough for Bayern. There's lots of reasons to think he will not be. As a numbers game alone, it is highly unlikely. That's all I'm saying here.