Chris Richards at Crystal Palace

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 3, 2018.

1. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    That is tough, you want him to go out there and be able to make an impact. Honestly, if Summer 2021 rolls around and he stayed in the 3.Liga, it kind of feels like step towards stagnation. Probably an overreaction but it’s much easier to get your chance and build your game in the lower BL than playing in the 3.Liga.

What do you think is better for his development, loan or reserves? Any ideas on the teams who made offers?

2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not for next season correct? I understand why they’d want him to finish this season in Bundesliga III.

3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not for next season correct? I understand why they’d want him to finish this season in Bundesliga III.

charlie kennan repped this.
  4. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    if he’s still at bayern II come end of next season that won’t look to good as him getting first team minutes asap is paramount to the usmnt future imo. he has said on numerous occasions that he wants to stay and fight for his spot at bayern. as for clubs who made offers, unfortunately i have no idea

justinpaul10 repped this.
  5. SloterHaus

SloterHaus Member

Dec 14, 2018
    German-speaking FC Bayern podcast MiaSanRot did a youth round-up. Richards was mentioned briefly.

Transcript via Google-Translate

Justin:
    In the past few years and months, I found there was a lot of hype about the personnel (Richards).I think two years ago I would have said well, or even a year ago, it was more of a marketing thing to find a US player who gets a lot of attention. Where they say yes America in Bavaria and all that stuff. It's typical that you sometimes connect such players to FC Bayern. I didn't think he was outstanding, but I think he has made progress in the past few months. He also played a good role in the third division. Nevertheless, I stick to the fact that it will not be enough for the Bayern first team squad. Probably higher level, most likely higher level than the current third division. But at FC Bayern I see no future for him.

Christopher:
    He is one of those players where I definitely see potential. You already mentioned it, he has improved a lot. Tactical knowledge may have been lacking. However, it is very difficult for me to judge, especially defenders, especially those who have been bought. What was the tactical training like before? Wasn't the tactical training quite as high as in European professional football? So you have to look at the whole thing in a different light. As you said, good progress has been made. What I could imagine for him that Richards would level off somewhere in the Bundesliga and I would definitely rate that as a success. We have to be patient with him and see where the journey will go.

Justin:
    Yes, the main problem with him is that he has little influence when playing forward. So the full-back positions of FC Bayern, also among the professionals, are obliged to do something forward, to do something for the offensive, to have real influence there too, to support the wingers. With Richards that's all too little for me. He's good at the back. He has improved there. Positioning has gotten much better. Completely subjective feeling, I do not know if that is correct, you have to check the statistics if there are any, but from my subjective feeling he also wins more duels, more important duels. But in my eyes, at best, he is just a solid full-back. I don't see him with the first team, perhaps average Bundesliga level at most.

6. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Good thing he is a center-back...

FirstStar, Eighteen Alpha and Deeneaus repped this.
  7. nikeboots

nikeboots Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ohio/Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have we ever figured out why he's played at RB for Bayern II? Is it just to get him on the field because he's the 3rd CB for them? Or are they trying to develop his skillset by playing him a bit out of position? Or they really see him as a RB?

I know Jong Ajax played Dest as a wide attacker for a fair number of games and IIRC there was a quote or article saying it was develop his attacking positioning/crossing.

SloterHaus and DHC1 repped this.
  8. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    it was a mix of just getting him on the field because they're aware of his quality, but also to improve his skillset developing at RB

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Raphael Varane?

But you're right, it's very rare in Top 5 leagues and even more rare at Top 10 club. The guy is an automatic starter for the U-23 side in 3 Liga, which is a good level, and is already training with the first team. Lots of things can happen, but he's on track.

bballshawn repped this.
  10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    And keeping him sharp.

And motivated.

charlie kennan repped this.
  11. nikeboots

nikeboots Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ohio/Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dayot Upamecano (star CB for RB Leipzig) is constantly being linked to Bayern; not sure if its just smoke without fire.

Bayern was also going to add Dest this summer before Covid19, which made it likely that Pavard would shift back to CB. Bayern is always going to be looking to add talent and, to me, it drives home how hard it'll be for Chris to breakthrough at Bayern.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.c...al-barcelona-deal-transfer-signing-rb-leipzig

12. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Wouldn't be in Bayern 2 be impressive enough? I mean you only have so much spots in the senior team. Like 25 or so? Out of hundreds of thousands of players vying for such prestigious position.

13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Bayern II isn't impressive at all, much less for a highly-touted prospect. If his career peaks at this level, it would be an enormous disappointment.

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be cool if that’s a trade deal - Cash + Richards. He wouldn’t be the first choice CB, but he might be good enough to get into the rotation.

15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #665 The Irish Rover, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Bayern 2 would not be impressive in any way. More like a massive disappointment TBH. Even for Eric Palmer-Brown people would be more relieved than impressed. Of the YAs in the same age bracket, the only one I can imagine leaving people impressed by him making it to 3 Liga is Haji Wright, but I doubt that's the benchmark you had in mind.

3 Liga isn't a bad league, but it isn't a good one either; somewhere between the best sides in the USL and the bottom sides in MLS. If that's the best he can do, he might as well have signed with Dallas.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  16. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    He's not breaking into Bayern's lineup anytime soon. I'm starting to think that he should've tried pushing for a move when there was rumored Valencia interest.

17. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    For the past couple years, I've been saying that there's no good reason for our top prospects to go to the super clubs. I think it's better to go to lesser teams that care more about development, and then if you blow up, the super clubs will call come calling (see Pulisic and Dest, and maybe soon Adams and Reyna).

Klingo3034 and Winoman repped this.
  18. nikeboots

nikeboots Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ohio/Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an interesting thought and RB Leipzig is definitely willing to give young players a shot. I hope Richards finds himself a loan this upcoming year.

Who knows maybe the uncertainties surrounding Covid19 will help Richards. If teams are unable or unwilling to buy players, they may be willing to take a young player (with presumably low wages) on loan

19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    is dortmund not a superclub? If BVB really wants you, that seems to be a really easy choice IMO.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Easy on the Nervous Nelly stuff, please. He broke into the 3 Liga side this season. Out of 27 games, he played in 22 and went 90' in all of them. Of the 5 games he missed, he was injured for two, sick for an other, and in a training camp with the first team for the other two.

For a kid to be doing that in his second season at a BL1 side would be eyebrow-raising, but to be doing it at Bayern Munich is seriously impressive. He may not make it at Bayern, but if he doesn't there'll be plenty of BL1 sides calling his agent.

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite. Super clubs are not selling clubs. The only superclubs are Barca, Real, Bayern, PSG, Juventus (maybe), Man City, Man U, and Chelsea (maybe).

22. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I know its not the same, but I was wondering if U.S. players playing in lets say Championship League tier 2 in English pyramid be impressive? People are saying the MLS in terms of quality is only League 1, or lower tier Championship tier 2. So I was wonder if U.S. players playing in tier 2 or tier 3 in most European heavily cultured soccer that is equivalent to MLS are just as good or better. But as the same time, that means they are not good enough to be in top tier.

23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think most people think that MLS is somewhere in the Championship - B2 level.

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    England and Germany have very different youth development structures: German reserve sides are U-23 teams with 3-4 lower-division vets to provide experience and muscle, and play in the German pyramid against pros; England's reserve sides have no age limit and play in the reserve league system against other reserve sides.

As for MLS' relative standard these days, most close observers would accept that it's about Championship or BL2 standard, though the range is quite wide: The Top 3-4 in the SS rankings would be playoff contenders in the Championship, while the bottom 4 mightn't make the playoffs in League One and a "vintage" bad side like Cincinnati might struggle in League 2 :confused:.

It's a decent league, with some quality players, that has to start producing young talent of its own for transfer to Europe's Top 4 and the Top 3 in the Tier 2 leagues (Portugal, Holland, France, etc) until it catches up with the NHL financially. Once it does that, it'll be able to keep all but the very best at home.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PL2 in England is a U23 league, but allows one overage GK and up to 3 overage field players per match.

https://www.premierleague.com/premier-league-2-explained

The Irish Rover repped this.