Chris Powell; nice guy

Discussion in 'West Ham United' started by lesliemoss, Apr 12, 2006.

1. lesliemoss

lesliemoss New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Malibu, California
    There's a nice story on the Hammers website (whufc.com) from Chris Powell.It makes a change to read something complimentary from a former player,who is still a competitor for a rival team.
    Today's game (Charlton vs Middlesbro') should be a good one.

2. claret50

claret50 Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good article Leslie, I liked this extract;

"It was lovely to come back and get a decent reception," says Chris. "I'd like to think the West Ham fans appreciate the part I played last season, and I'll always remember the time I spent at Upton Park."

3. west_ham

west_ham Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Peterlee, Co. Durham
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I won't be surprised to see him spend the end of his playing career at West Ham. Compliments like this often mean he is trying to leave his bridges unburnt.

4. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just think Chris Powell's a good bloke. I bear no ill will towards him after going back to Charlton, as they offered more money and a first team place when he's at a time in his career where he's gotta get it while he can. Nobody can question the commitment to West Ham during his time with us and I'd wish him nothing but the best.

See, I hope this is where we really stand out from other clubs and it is also why I get angry with some fans. We, as a general populous, understand that while football may be about passion and loyalty and such, it's also a job. So long as a player conducts himself well when leaving and always tried for us, he'll never get booed. It's like Shaun Newton. If he left to go to a club where he'd see more time on the field, he'd always get a good reception because he always tried. Some clubs boo any player that leaves, we don't. It takes a lot to piss us off. That's why Lampard just doesn't "get it".

5. West 'am 'till I die

West 'am 'till I die BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 28, 2006
    London
    He was a good man for us...... helped get us promoted when he could clearly have been playing in the EPL