Chris Leitch, now is your time to shine

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Quakes05, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #1 Quakes05, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    I feel like if Chris Leitch is ready to be GM then right now, today, is the time for him to show everyone why.

Quakes are desperately bad, our offense has possibly never been worse. there is still plenty of 2021 left to play.

Chris is the acting GM, now.

does he hold any sway over John Fisher? can he sign a difference maker (think DP, aka "pony" or star player) now in order to salvage some small degree of respectability for San Jose?

or, will he too be thwarted, unable to do anything to help when the Quakes really, really need it most?

between now and August 5 I think we will all learn together if Mr Leitch deserves this position.

Good luck Chris!

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Hah, that's a bit of a short leash, isn't it? 3 weeks? :) At least as coach he had a few months.

Why would euro Jesse get 5 years to show what he can do, but American Chris Leitch gets 3 weeks? Hmm....

DasMoots, don gagliardi and bsman repped this.
  3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    He’s been there for many years. If he’s ready, let’s see what he can do.

4. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Seriously, in 3 weeks!? I don't think he's even been named acting GM. He's like the guy keeping the lights on doing 3 or 4 jobs after management has cleaned house. No pres, no GM, etc.

DasMoots repped this.
  5. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    We need a hit the ground running guy. If he’s ready he has to be able to demonstrate that during our darkest hour, now.

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He's not even interim GM. Why the double standard for the American guy? Give him a few years with the job title and responsibilities. And then evaluate the performance. Jesse had 5 years.

7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  8. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Now would be good. I mean he’s either got the chops or he ain’t.

He’s been there learning to ropes for how long, in how many roles?

Or, are we basically saying let’s hire another John Doyle and do that again?

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Again, he's not even interim GM. How do we know that he has the responsibility and the budget to do anything? Euro Jesse had 5 years as GM to get it done. And we're going to give American Leitch 3 weeks, when he doesn't even have the job??

10. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    All I’m saying is sign us one difference maker now, when it really matters!

Show us you got the right stuff!

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    If he's got the budget and job responsibilities, then sure he's got one swing, two at best. But one or two swings does not make a season, or even a game.

DasMoots repped this.
  12. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    It (at least) shows a responsiveness, a modicum of desire to be better, an effort to try.

Failing to do a significant offensive signing by August 5 will be an epic fail and prove once again that nobody in the FO as it’s currently configured is able to respond to our obvious needs on the field.

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    :ROFLMAO: Again, he is not even interim GM. For all we know he has been asked to help find a new GM as his primary responsibility as TD.

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #14 Quakes05, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    It may be that he’s not in the running and you’re absolutely right about that, in which case, never mind.

But if he is and he’s trying to sign some players before the deadline as previously mentioned, this would be a great time for him to make his case for becoming GM.

I would love to see that.

Conversely, if he’s the last one in the office left who could sign a player (say he has that role now by default) and he leaves the Quakes to whither on the vine post 8/5, he will have failed and our season is likely to get really poor from there.

15. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I was sitting at section 108 last Sat and saw Leitch, dressed in suit, coming up in our section and looking up intensely to locate someone. I hope he was not asked to look for our new attacking ace in section 108.

markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    After the game, Chris was conversing intensely with Eric Visser, the MLS match observer.

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Repped for the Rick A. reference. Did you stumble on that or did you know that's his nickname among the OG Ultras? :)

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I remember the Rick - Chris references from some time back. I think it may have come up in the forum at some point.

19. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have any insight of the relationship between Leitch and Matias?

Also curious, but we may never know, what Matias thought of Jesse......I have a feeling they didn't see eye to eye on things....

20. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Jesse bring Matias to the Quakes? Not sure why they wouldn't see eye to eye on things. They may not have been perfectly aligned or had some difference, but in general, I would be surprised if they didn't have a decent working arrangement.

bsman, don gagliardi and JazzyJ repped this.
  21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yes, I'd be surprised if Matias and Jesse didn't have a good working relationship. Jesse brought him in, and obviously worked closely with him in signing players Matias knew.

The real wildcard for me is the Matias / Leitch relationship. The language barrier is going to be something to deal with - it makes things harder. And would Matias be willing to defer to Leitch about anything - about the league - anything? Would he be able to see him as a peer? Matias has all this pedigree and championships and Serie A playing experience, and Argentina nats, etc., and Chris Leitch is a guy from Pickerington, Ohio - a journeyman MLS right back. Those are my questions.

If Matias would be able to treat him as a peer and they work well with each other, and Matias would be willing to defer to Leitch a bit on player selection for MLS, especially MLS players themselves, I could actually see it as a successful pairing. But those are some "ifs" there.

bsman and markmcf8 repped this.
  22. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

markmcf8, Quakes05 and QuakeAttack repped this.
  23. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    if Leitch can get him some reinforcements by 8/5, maybe. otherwise, he's pretty useless to Matias. it's "show me the money!" time in San Jose and Leitch is the only guy who might be able to convince JF to do something before things get very embarrassing with all kinds of worst-ever records on the line.

24. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Quakes have put themselves in the position where there's no top leadership left in the organization. Now they have to walk and chew gum at the same time, hire a GM and find a goal scorer before 8/5.

markmcf8 repped this.
  25. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting. From a timing perspective, they are getting ready for next year. I would be surprised if Matias is back next year. So, does the new GM get to pick the new coach? I would be fine with Chris getting the job, but depending on who is in the 4-5, I would be fine with other potential candidates who are familiar with MLS.

In either case, we are going to need more than MLS journeyman players for this team to be successful. We need to have 1-2 DPs who are DP caliber (not SJ DPs).