Chris Durkin at Sint-Truidense V.V. (Belgium)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Winoman repped this.
  2. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Durkin wasn't bad, was subbed at the half. Don't watch this game, though, unless you _really_ care. It was terrible. Gent is okay, but nothing special. St. Truidense has no defense whatsoever. They have some of the most indecisive attempts to breakout from the back. DeSmet never has an idea what to do, hesitates until someone arrives to press him, then gives them the ball immediately. The team as a whole rarely completes more than two or three passes in a sequence before losing possession, and it isn't like they are trying high-upside passes. They just suck.

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah, Gent were man marking all over the place and STTV had no answer. The team went down as one.

Durkin seems the same character tho his pass thru mid seems more self assured. He harries the ball carrier effectively when he gets into gear. He needs to continue working on his off the ball movement, especially in possession. Kinda hard to see if it's him or his team. Look at the goals which resulted from turnovers - 1st and 3rd. I stopped watching after the 3rd.

Winoman repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

8. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The follow up tweet does not sound as grim.

9. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

h/t @ielag

10. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    For context, the last Forbes ranking of MLS team valuations had DC with an operating income of $1million.

11. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Goff has the fee at $1.1 million spread over 15 months with a 25% sell on.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    nice little paycheck

14. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May be a done deal. Waiting official word.

16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Should be a nice little earner for the lad. The rule of thumb is the player's salary is the transfer fee, divided by the number of years on the contract, so he'll be grossing just under 400k a season and pocketing about 220k after taxes and agent's fees. I doubt the sell-on fee would be incorporated in the salary, not from the start: more likely there'll be some kind of bonus if he's sold.

17. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems very unlikely but I wonder if he gets a % of the transfer fee as well

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    In this case it's more than likely, since the transfer fee between DC United and Sint Truiden included a sell-on clause: his agent would be negligent not to have a clause covering that in Durkin's contract. If there isn't, the signing-on fee at his next destination will be eye-wateringly high.

I'd be pretty certain that there is. Sint Truiden have a home gate of 5,000 fans, yet they're paying $1.1 million in a transfer fee (in installments, over the life of the lad's contract) plus wages of approximately the same amount. No way they could afford that unless they or their backer plan on flipping him for $3 million-plus in the next two seasons.

Sell-on clauses are included when the parties agree that the player has very serious upside potential but the buyer can't/won't take on the whole risk up front. A 25% sell-on clause for a 20 year-old DM suggests that DC valued him at well over $1.5 million, probably $2 million, right now, and the Belgians agree with that, but a slightly pessimistic scenario - he stays fit and doesn't regress but also fails to develop as expected - leaves them with no profit. Durkin and his agent will be well-aware of these calculations so he's probably due a percentage of the transfer fee to wherever, most likely with a maximum amount set.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Good luck to the lad. I don't expect him to stay much more than 18 months with them. If he moves to the Top 5 in Belgium (Liege, Brugge, Anderlecht, Gent, Genk) and secures a place, we could see him in BL1 in about 5 seasons. Here's hoping

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Cool. I thought the loan kind of got off to a bad start and watching him at the U20 World Cup I thought he looked like a bit of a plodder even at that level but I'm still rooting for the kid.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a good player but isn't the most athletic.

I think he struggles in formations when he is the lone d-mind in a 4-1-4--1 formation (or something like that). When he has more support in that area of the field (in like a 4-2-3-1 where he is one of the "2") he can do quite well.

Winoman repped this.
  23. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I think it's interesting the way the game is trending. From my perspective, it seems like there use to be some players who were great athletes and some weren't but they were great footballers still and there was a place for them. That distinction seems to be going away. Now, the expectation is that every player is also a great athlete.

So, when I see a kid without top level athletic ability nowadays I really question how he will fit into the modern game. It just feels like it's not good enough to simply be a good footballer anymore, you must also be blessed with the crazy highest level of natural athletic ability.

What do you think?

24. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Agree with that assessment based on the U20s. He gets turned and overcome the same way older Bradley does.

25. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I think guys with middling athletic ability can still hack it, but in the world transfer market it's a devalued quality. And it makes sense that lack of athleticism would be a big mark against. You see it in every other sport. The question is how big of a hole is that market preference hiding good players? In baseball? Undersized pitchers with elite control. Undersized hitters with elite plate discipline and ability to put the bat on the ball.

Basketball? Rule of thumb? If somone is truly elite in one area (defense, three point shooting, rebounding, etc) then that skill usually translates.

For these guys the key is playing time. Doesn't matter the level. If they are going to make it they exceed expectations at every level. People end up taking a chance on them not because of amazing scouting but because it's clear they need to jump up a level.

Time will tell if Durkin can make the most out of the opporutunity. I'm not high on him, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if his brain helps compensate for the lack of legs.