Chris Durkin at Sint-Truidense V.V. (Belgium)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Oct 9, 2016.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He was sold for 1 million Euros, or $1.1 million, in July.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench:

edcrocker and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Durkin comes on for an injured teammate in the 37th with the game knotted 1-1.

Winoman and edcrocker repped this.
  4. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    STVV take the lead to go up 2-1 in the 51st, and Joe Efford enters in the 57th to make this some off-the-bench yank vs yank action.

5. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Efford had a hockey assist on Waasland-Beveren's goal to close the gap to 3-2.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Durkin subbed in at 35' to stop the bleeding, with his team already trailing v Mark McKenzie's Genk 3-0 - Genk currently leading 4-0 at 65'.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts:

Match is on ESPN+

Winoman, LouisianaViking07/09 and Gorky repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    For those following him, what's his grade for the season?

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gathering interest from American-owned Spezia:

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    United Spezia of America :p

Gorky and The Irish Rover repped this.
  11. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    doesnt italy have pretty strict international slot rules?

12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yeah, I thought they could only buy 2-3 foreign players per window. Maybe someone has an EU passport.

The more Americans the owner is interested in, the less excited I am. I'm skeptical some of these guys can play in Serie A effectively / get PT, and I don't think forcing anything because someone is American helps anything really.

The Irish Rover and butters59 repped this.
  13. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Spezia situation is turning kind of bizarre. I don't like it.

Gorky repped this.
  14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The roster rules in Serie A are pretty whacky and as complicated as MLS. In it’s simplest form, there is a quota on Non-EU players and Homegrown Players. Non-EU players are those that are transferred from outside EU countries. That’s why you seen a ton of South Americans suddenly “find” Italian lineage andm secure Italian passports. You can also sell or loan Non-EU rosters spots to other clubs. So it gets pretty convoluted and complicated. Durkin, Haji Wright, and Reggie Cannon - all linked to Spezia - ply their trade in Europe and would be transferring from a EU country and would could as a “domestic” player.

adam tash, UniversalAdvice, TxEx and 5 others repped this.
  15. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Wonder how long a player needs to play in the EU for to be considered domestic. If it’s very short I wouldn’t be surprised to hear if any Seria A teams try to game the system a bit.

Maybe some Seria A clubs have strong connections with other clubs in Europe that they have a prospective SA player that gets bought and plays for half-full season, and then can be brought in without using a non-EU spot. Although maybe this is all too much of hassle and risk and never happens.

16. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, I think this is the type of club that makes sense for Cannon, Wright might be worth a flyer and I don't know enough about Durkin to know how big a reach this is. Regardless every one of us in YA would run our club the same way given the chance, no?

Matt Turner or Horvath next?

17. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Durkin stays at Sint-Truiden he will have a new manager with Peter Mees leaving to take the Beerschot job. He was replaced by German Bernd Hollerbach who last managed Mouscron.

Durkin registerd a goal and 3 assists in 1,981 minutes (28 apperances including 20 starts) for Sint-Truiden during the 2020/2021 season. He picked up 6 yellow cards. Transfermarkt has him making 5 appearances at right back last season. Sint-Truiden finished 15th.

Durkin also played 136 minutes (2 starts) in the Belgian Cup. Sint-Truiden were eliminated in the Round of 16.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good God almighty. The schedule Euro players are enduring from the COVID return through the end of 2023 is insane. I suspect Europe is going to have a decimated generation of players, due to injuries.

20. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't seem quite right to me. Suarez was in Europe 10 years but Juve tried to get him a dodgy passport because they used the non-EU spot on Weston. I think it's a limit of one non-EU player per year and it doesn't matter if the player is in Europe already.

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    And even if they don't get injured, they'll be forced to retire earlier and be much more likely to have arthritis in their 50's. Much worse arthritis at that.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  22. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Juve also registered Arthur Melo in the same window as Wes

23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah i think this is right. Otherwise, woulda been more yanks already in Italy that were previously successful in europe.

....over the last several decades, there have been plenty of yanks good enough for serie a...but very few good enough for a precious non-eu spot.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    I had to look this up because I forgot the rule the other day on another thread. Basically, per season Serie A teams can only sign 2 new non-EU players. This is based on their passports, so, for example, if Luis Suarez had a Spanish passport, he would be OK and not count against it. He didn't, so Juve tried to "fast-track" (cheat) his Italian citizenship exam to get him into the EU player bucket.

Spain and UK do not have the same limit, so he was free to play there without becoming an EU citizen. This applies to all of our guys without EU passports as well.