Cho Won-hee @ Wigan Athletic 2009-2010 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by GoYoungrokba, Aug 5, 2009.

1. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's sad so many korean players fail in Europe. Why can a man ask? It's not just korean players thought. Same thing with other asian players. You can't blame it all on "cultural clash"

But I would not say that Cho Won-hees European career is over, he can still transfer to another team or a smaller league. Then if he fails there, he can go home with the tail between his legs.

It's good that there is some players that can do it, like Park CY (I doubted him) and recently Lee CY. So the fans don't need to give up.

2. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    One interesting things is Kim DH and Seol both started great, Seol rocked in the EPL up, and Kim DH were one of West Broms best players. Sad it turned out the way it did. Seol have himself to blame, he got chance after chance.

3. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Maybe I'm a little down on CWH myself because he's not playing/doing as well as I had hoped. Someone started a thread about what formation you would pick and who would be on the squad for SA a few weeks back. I picked CWH to be my DMF. Due to his lack of playing time/ability to break into the first team + his performance in the friendly with Serbia, my perception of him has changed. At least my short term perception. He needs to play his way back into contention to get a starting spot in SA. There has been some debate about who would be the DMF on our team and no one seems to be too impressed with KJW so the spot seems to be open. At least in the mind of the folks on this forum. Who knows what Huh is thinking? KJW might have it locked up.

I was surprised when he made the move to the prem b/c I viewed him as a squad player albeit playing well at the time. He jumped overseas before KSY and LCY & while they play different roles, seemed more desirable to overseas teams due to their wider range of passing and overall ability.

Were LCY & KSY more hyped by the media? Probably, you definitely hear their names more. In the case of LCY, it seems justified in retrospect.
    With KSY, we'll have to see how it plays out. Honestly, I had my doubts about LCY making it here but I'm pleasantly surprised.

Re: Transfer Window
    You're completely correct. Didn't think about that. Only that Bruce had made an offer that was accepted for Lee Cattermole a few games into the season but the transfer window was still open.

Like you said Bruce might not take a chance on an 'unknown' player during the January transfer window. I don't think we will either since he's already brought in Lorik Cana from Marseilles and they have Cattermole, both who play the same role and are rated higher. Certainly Bruce wasn't at Wigan long enough to maybe really know what CWH can do but he was scouted and signed so the manager, I'm sure, had some input/knowledge of his abilities.

Cho was at Wigan for 3 months before Bruce jumped ship but injured most of the time.
    I don't think he's a complete unknown product to Bruce but he's got better tools at his disposal.

On the flip side, both Cana & Cattermole have been injured this season so if he needs another DMF I can't imagine CWH would be an expensive buy so perhaps there is a slight chance.

Even if Bruce were to come in for him, I don't think this is the right move for him. He'll be 3rd string at best. He needs to be a starter somewhere to advance his career and get ready for SA.

Re: Martinez/Wigan
    Usually a new manager brings in his own players and/or staff. CWH hasn't been completely frozen out so I'm sure he's making somewhat of an impact on the training pitch but not enough to crack the starting lineup.
    Whether that indicates if CWH really belonged in the prem in the first place, I don't know. I think he has the ability to play at this level if given the chance.
    I'm not so sure he would ever be a starter in the prem. The problem is on both Wigan and Sunderland there are players perceived by the managers to be a better option.

It's easy to 'see' things in retrospect but at this point, I would say no he doesn't belong here. He belongs in a league that starts him.

4. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Does CWH ever get to play on the Reserve squad?

5. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Agree with most of what you post except LDG came before all of those guys.

LDG signed during January 2007 transfer window.
    Tuncay signed in July of 2007
    Aliadiere signed June of 2007
    Alfonso Alves signed January 31, 2008

Yakubu left August 2007
    Viduka left June 2007

I think LDG got a few chances, not enough in my opinion, but when he didn't score in his first 5 or so appearances his opps became further and farther between matches and he started to lose confidence. Looked that way in his body language when he finally did make an appearance.

It should be noted that most of those appearances were substitutions so he really had limited opps. In addition, he was playing behind the starters Yak & the Pillsbury Doughboy, who hadn't left yet. By the time those two left, M'boro already had Tuncay and Aliadiere in their sights.

Now, It was in Southgate's interest that LDG worked out. He never said so publicly but he must have lost confidence in LDG limiting his time on the pitch.
    So, he splashed the cash on 3 strikers between the summer and the Jan.2008 transfer window.

Managers are human so sometimes they'll do things against their best interest like continually play someone whom they've bought who just might be less talented than a player they inherited. Ultimately the manager is judged by their W/L record. If they inherit a player who is that much better than someone they brought in, I would like to think the better player get the nod on match day.

With the right team, under the right circumstances, brought along at the right pace, given enough confidence, LDG might have proven a decent striker in the prem. Reality, most teams don't have the patience for it. They need/want results now.

6. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Dangit... I keep coming in here for a transfer rumor and all I find is thesis worthy arguments.

7. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  8. Auerbach-Plexi

Jun 29, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That Spainard Roberto Martinez. I hope he gets fired soon. He sucks as a manager and definitely as a player. I hope Cho leaves and avoid 2nd division Championship. I dont know his situation definitely, but if possible, he sholuld consider Italy, Spain, or Germany. Screw Wigan, screw Martinez

9. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    your time line looks about right. cant remember when Mido joined but iircc it was around the same time as Yakubu and Viduka leaving.

and the rest of your observations sounds about right as well.

the point is competition was always high. What Southgate wanted and needed was LDG to make an impact straight away, which IMO was something only possible had LDG been on top form and shape having been playing continously and regulary at Pohang.

LDG didnt have the name value like Alves to buy him time, nor was known to the fans like Mido who was already playing in the Premiership. Yakubu and Viduka are both strong big forwards and tough shoes to fill.

timing was a big factor, but he went there with his eyes open even though he probably knew his long term serious injury and lack of playtime before the transfer meant it will be at least twice/thrice as hard.

and because he went there with his eyes open to the challenges that lay ahead of him, he has to bear the lion's share of the blame for his failure. And it wasnt like it was his first time dip in Europe either, however short that was. I think he did later admit it was a lot harder than he expected, the physical strength, the speed of the game and the spongy pitch that sapped energy much more etc.

Jo Won-hee on the other hand could not have forseen the blindside that was Bruce leaving so soon.

10. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Re: Mido
    Completely forgot he was there too. He signed for 'Boro on 7/20/2007.
    Can you believe he's still a 'Boro player? He's on loan to an Egyptian team.
    Talented but another guy who's career has gone nowhere.

So between the summer and winter transfer windows, Dough Boy & The Yak left.

Mido, Aliadiere, Tuncay, and Alves was brought in. Not to mention some of the other peripheral forwards they already had like Malcolm Christie who saw just as much playing time as LDG, iirc.

I think with the lack of playing time and all these new boys coming in, it must have eroded LDG's confidence pretty quickly.

Re: CWH
    No, there's no way to have forecast that. Just some bad luck.
    It's like starting a new job with high hopes and things not going as expected and now you're stuck in some type of menial role.

11. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Saw a few fixture & squad list for reserve matches but didn't go back too far.
    I could be wrong but it doesn't look like he plays for the reserves side.

12. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Cho again named to the bench... but saw no action... although Wigan didnt end up using any subs.

13. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You know it might not be a conspiracy against Cho, it just might take an injury or really bad form on the part of the starters ahead of him for Cho to get a nod.

14. batch-wafc

batch-wafc New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    What has Martinez "sucking" as a player got to do with anything ?

I dont remember seeing Mr Wenger ripping it up in World Cups.

Cho's one major problem is that he's not good enough. He's only even getting on the bench to make up the numbers because the squad is quite small. One more players come in in Janurary he's doing to be even further down the pecking order.

He will actually play either against Manchester United on Weds (as we rest the squad because we all know we are going to get tonked) or on Saturday against Hull in the Cup. But dont get too overexcited when he does play, it will be for one game only!

15. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Regardless of whether is conspiracy or the fact that Cho is not good enough... he needs to land at a club where he will get more playing time. I care the most about KNT's success in the WC and the more players in top form that we can choose from for the WC roster... the better. For Cho to attempt to acheive that... I just want to see him play.

16. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Cho starts today against Man Utd :eek:

17. songjim

songjim Member

Dec 9, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    like most of his teammates, didn't do much. he had a nice 1-2 that the guy he passed to should have scored on, but he also gave the ball away dangerously. overall, he wasn't worse than any of his teammates, but not much better, either. solid 5.

18. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Maybe Cho will play in the FA cup this weekend. I"m sure Martinez won't be focusing too much on that competition. Staying in the league is probably the first thing on his mind.

19. salesman

salesman Member

May 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    interesting,, he's been ditched for most games and Wigan decide to start him against Manchester?
    i was glad to see two koreans on the pitch, but both were not too impressive. i only caught the second half and i felt that Park was overshadowed by valencia and did Cho play as a AMF today?

20. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  21. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  22. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Season starts early February for Suwon because of they're in the ACL.

But Martinez said after the Man United match that he's not interested in shopping Cho Won-hee. We'll see, though.

23. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Not sure but is someone on Wigan injured? Might be why he started and Martinez made that comment?

24. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Looking at the lineup, I'm surprised CWH started ahead of Koumas.

25. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Im not. He was fully expecting an ass reaming. No need to mentally shell shock his better players.